DAW for Post Production

Discussion in 'DAW' started by djmonkeystyle, Oct 26, 2011.

1. djmonkeystyle

djmonkeystyle Newbie

I am a Student Studying and Hoping to Learn for Post Production.. :bow:
    and i am About to sell my Pro Tools 9 on saturday...

Any Guys Working on Post Production..that can Advice me which DAW to try and study again (except Pro tools 9 )
    its much Better if it can support 5.1 Mixing ,panning , metering etc etc that are essential for the Job..

Thanks for the Help in Advance..
    More Power AudioSex Community.. :phones:

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

hmm i think cubase should be equally, also logic 9.

4. psyfactor

psyfactor Newbie

well if protools is'nt working out for ya, you might well wish to try nuendo, it ticks all the boxes for what you asked.

5. djmonkeystyle

djmonkeystyle Newbie

thanks for the suggestions guys..

well its not that PT9 is not working for me..its fine really..im just pissed by the release of pt10 abandoning the support for pt9 in the near future..i just had a premonition..

I havent tried Nuendo..im giving it a shot
    Logic wont do..since im a PC user..

how about the new Presonus Studio One Ver 2? i wonder if it may do? or the New Reaper 4?

any guys out there for more feedbacks *yes*

6. ratox

ratox Noisemaker

well, the only serious thing I use and can recommend for post are Pro Tools (10 now, works much better on native systems) and Nuendo 5. Of course you can do masterwork even with tape, scissors and glue, but if one asks me about specific software that's the answer.
    Logic absolutely sucks because of very poor features concerning the precision of audio cutting and crossfading. Digital performer may be an alternative, but that's mac only.
    A.

7. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

The poster above me ignores the high potential of LOGIC 9.
    LOGIC is really good - not like Pro Tools which forces you to run (and buy!) their own things.
    Their RTAS format sucks - and why would you want to install always those "extra" packages?
    Best of it is learning by doing - look for a DAW that fits to you and your work methods.

8. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Cubase/Nuendo, and Pro Tools iirc, have hardware protection, so I haven't tried them.

As said above Logic should be good if you if you don't mind a mac. Logic Pro has the 5.1 features, i only used it for a few minuites at a store though. I've used Express in the past for 2.0 mixes, it was good. The disk and time overhead for setting up a project is slightly high, but worth it if you want lots of control & parameters, which is where its strength lies. I'll admit crossfades are a bit iffy, but nothing wrong with 2 clips on different tracks as a workaround?

The primary DAW I use nowdays, is Adobe Audition CS5.5 on my PC (Also available for mac). Has surround mixing too. But you can't use stereo effects on surround tracks without an 5.1 effects chainer like DDMF Metaplugin & vice versa. Surround panner is easy to use & intuitive. Also has a surround FFT.

Cockos Reaper also has 5.1 Surround support (Mac & PC, iirc). The interface is a bit wonky, but it has powerful routing/matrix options which allows you to use 2.0 effects on 5.1 tracks & vice versa (unlike audition). Another note about reaper, surround panning is wonky, so it may screw up spatialitiy or placement of your sound.

Presonus, I never really got around the wierd UI. Apparently it's good, but no surround mixing.

N-Track studio also apparently supports surround & is cross platform, but I haven't tried it.

9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

hmm i think reaper should be the easiest way atm. the download is really small and as u said u are on pc yh try it def.
    btw u can costumize the reaper gui a lot - so it isnt waonky imo.
    indeed that hardware protection are really bad for performance imo.

hope u find ur daw friend! :dancing:

10. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

I edited my post above with more pros & cons of Audition & Reaper after you posted. I'm suggesting Audition for now.

EDIT: The stereo panner in Reaper doesn't work well for panning stereo or surround sources in surround. To do this you need to use reaSurround, which forces you to manipulate individual channels in space, not as a pair or as a group, even with stereo/surround sources. This is more error-prone and allows you to screw up the spatiality of the source. I can't find a way to fix this.

11. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

+1 for reaper.

Right click on a pan fader/knob, I believe, is how to choose which panning laws are more suited to your preferences. Dont know if this applies to surround panning though. :dunno:

Non reaper believers... ever been here?

http://stash.reaper.fm/

I have seen the light and chose death. I welcome the R.E.A.P.E.R.
    Rapid Enviroment for Audio Production Engineering & Recording :wink:
    --
    sG

12. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

cubase 5 or 6 iv bin using cubase for 20 years and i never ran in to any thing it cant do plus pro tools is only 24 bit and cubase go up to 32 bit floating cubase is easy to set up and work flow is smooth and i hope your going to use a MAC

13. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

if u don t like pro tools,maybe with complete production toolkit,u can rely on nuendo,although i saw many studio s specialized in post production working with sony products,i m not sure what exactly,maybe spundforge or vegas pro,i should check

14. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Sony ACID also supports surround. Again, I haven't used it.

15. djmonkeystyle

djmonkeystyle Newbie

1. Reaper is Nice..

2. Still no Feedback for Studio One? so one feedback says..it wont do the Job..any feedback from other Studio One Users..

3. Ok so whats the difference Between Cubase and Nuendo??
    im Giving these as my 1st priority to try..
    i forgot to mention ill be using it also for mixing like in Pro Tools..since i mix mainly in Pro Tools.

So can i also mix in Nuendo? if ill be only using Nuendo..

4. i thought Adobe Audition is only for Mastering and sound Edit..sorry im clueless

5. i Doubt maybe Vegas Pro and such like is limited in Audio Capabilities..but then again im still clueless

thanks for all the feedbacks..
    you guys Rock
    :wink: :guitarhero:

16. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Reaper is nice - for stereo. Not so much for surround, the surround capabilities seem like an afterthought.

Audition has your surround DAW multitrack capabilities which I use most of the time. It can be used for mastering and sound editing.

Vegas is a primarily a NLE video editor, not a sound editor. ACID is a multitrack DAW which has surround capabilities.

If presonus doesn't have surround capabilities, it doesn't have surround capabilities. I have confirmed this by reading reviews.

17. cycro

cycro Newbie

Studio One 2 has a 30-day demo, you can try and see if it works for you, but I'd say no, it's still somehow limited features, at least for me.

18. ghost47

ghost47 Noisemaker

DID YOU NOT KNOW THAT PRO TOOLS IS NO LONGER PROPRIETARY ...
    ...MEANING YOU CAN USE ANY INTERFACE & VST WITH UNWRAP PLUGIN
    THE ONLY THING PRO TOOLS HELD ONTO IS THE DONGGLE ILOK KEY FOR SECURITY MEASURES :sad:

19. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

What do you mean by Post Audio?? Do you mean mastering or post such as audio cues to film or video games etc... Your question is vague. TBH I can't think of a single app that is good for post unless it's surround sound which would of course goes to Nuendo otherwise it's all hardware routed to the The Studio's Daw of choice and even then it's only used to track(Record).

20. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

Samplitude...
    and, my personal fav has always been Vegas Pro

21. Evo

Evo Kapellmeister

A bit late dude, probably the guy is become a number 1 engineer right now or he is dead in the toilette

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List