DAW for guitar VST's

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by FaustESK, Jun 6, 2024.

1. FaustESK

FaustESK Newbie

hello,
    maybe someone knows, maybe someone can advise, I'm looking for a good application (Windows x64) for recording guitar, supporting VST x64 plug-ins such as ToneLib, Amplitube, Guitar Rig etc. It would be best if it was something "portable" that could be placed on a fast pendrive with plugins. I would like it to have a lot of features, but not be extremely difficult to use. To work well with interfaces such as Scarlet, Presonus, Zoom G5N or other similar devices. Possibility to record tracks, add and export them mixed as mp3 or wav. Additional interesting options, recommended by those who know this topic, are welcome :)
    thank you and best regards

3. LRaM

LRaM Newbie

Reaper, the portable version, seems to me to be the perfect answer to what you're describing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Triphammer

Triphammer Producer

Not a Reaper fan personally, although that is a good option. But not the only one. I use several flavors of Cubase/Nuendo poratble versions on a USB stick for exactly that purpose. There are also portable versions of Samplitude, N-Track and others out in the wild.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
  5. YungstarProd

YungstarProd Member

+1 for the Cubase/Nuendo family.

Even though I believe, Reaper Portable would better suit your needs with less hassle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. FaustESK

FaustESK Newbie

Thank You guys for really helpfull answers. One more question, is there any big difference with quality, between recomended DAW's, i mean, audio quality, latency problems or something. Thank You

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

As a long-time Cubase user, I say Cockos Reaper. It's about 30mb heavy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

Tracktion Waveform or Reaper. Both are available for free so you can install/use them anywhere you want. Reaper personal license does cost $60 after the trial, but you can still keep using it after the nag screen. Cakewalk by Bandlab is also great but it's quite heavy and there's account creation and such hassle, and it's complex as fuck as it's been developed for something like 30 years (like Cubase and Logic).

And really, there is no difference in sound quality between DAWs. It's your interface and your guitar and then the VSTs that make the difference.

Not that it should matter, but for recording business my personal preference would be Tracktion first, then Reaper, and finally Cakewalk, especially if you do MIDI heavy stuff. But again, my preference based on my usage, try them out and see which one clicks for you.

9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Reaper Portable install wins the cherry here. its free if you ignore the nag screen and its just super stable and it fits on a small pendrive.

you can also theme Reaper to make it look like the DAW you normally use. There is a huge Skin Library out there at Reaper.

I normally also use Ableton, but Reaper is just the best for what you want.

10. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

Reaper hands down!

11. GeoffreyMcJefferson

GeoffreyMcJefferson Kapellmeister

FL Studio works great for me. Because besides recording guitar I also like to do a lot of Piano Roll programming.

12. bwzrd

bwzrd Producer

Reaper portable install 100%