DAW Change: Live or S1?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Kohornis, Aug 5, 2016.

1. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

Sorry for the late response, I never saw this thread.

I personally use Studio One 3.31 and Live 9.7 for production, Reaper 5.27 for all my Nebula work, Pro Tools HD 10.39 for tracking and Studio One 3.31 or Ensoniq PARIS for mixing. I used to produce in Reason 5 and FL Studio 10, but moved for various reasons. I use PUSH, Maschine and Akai Studio controllers with both S1 and Live. So now you know my experience, so my opinion has some perspective.

IMHO, Live and S1 have very different creative approaches and I use both for creative work, you'll have to test both to determine which would work best for you. Live will be better for beat chopping but I prefer S1 for un-chopped sample work. Live will suck for mixing and will be very different for editing coming from FL Studio. S1 has the best drag and drop workflow, as in S1 just stays out of my way approach, while Live is DJ clip forward in philosophy. I was a DJ for over a decade and at times I love the Live approach, but my 20 plus years Engineering side craves the S1 approach, so I use both to create. Bitwig is a middle ground between the two, I'm waiting for Bitwig 2.0 before I give it another serious try as 1 has a lot of features I use missing, but Bitwig's future has me excited.

For serious mixing, Studio One over Live every day of the year. For fun and any live work, Ableton Live without a doubt. So both tool get the job done, demo both if possible to determine which works best for you.

Yes, different DAW's have different coding quality, on PC Reaper and Cubase are the best. Studio one 3.31 improved the core loading and plugin efficiency but it is still behind Reaper and Cubase. Live is behind Reaper, Cubase and S1 FWIW.

2. Jeffrey_Goinz

Jeffrey_Goinz Ultrasonic

Give http://www.reaper.fm a Try! for Bouncing Tracks etc. its very nice to work with, and you can config Reaper how you want it!
    hmmm but FL Studio is pretty much made for EDM or DnB typ of Music! I don't really understand the problem!! ^^

3. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Reaper is the best DAW atm. But you will probably need to customize it and watch many tutorials to learn how to use it.

4. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Go with Live. It's stable and super fast if you are into chopping clips and stuff. Easy for dubstep, glitch, trap....

5. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

Cubase has a menu entry that shows you all offline processing you did to a clip. And even better: you can change the settings of whatever you did offline and the clip gets rerendered. Something else i totally love in cubase is render in place. a clip can be rendered either with the channel settings or the whole processing up to the output.

6. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Oooh... I agreed with most of what you said, but in my experience Live actually does very well with plugin efficiency. It can be a bit slow with things like loading plugin UIs, adding and removing tracks, etc. But at--least on my system--the difference in Live's ability to run cpu hungry plugins and Studio One's was a factor of about 2 to 1. I can attest to Cubase though. I decided to add some things to a nearly finished project the other day. Sixty tracks, all mixed with third party plugins, many of them CPU heavy--and Cubase was able to run smoothly at a latency that was all but inaudible during monitoring.

7. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Wow. Where is this feature? I'm new to Cubase. This sounds fantastic.

8. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

S1 3.31 improved by about 25% with regards to core loading and plugin count, surpassing Live. I do heavy stress testing with Nebula and Acqua, as well as gather many other users data on 4 different audio sites. So while on your system you have your results, I'm sharing about 50 reported users results that we collect. Again I love Live, use it all the time but NEVER with Nebula/Acqua or even Slate FG-X as Live just can't handle the heavy CPU plugs very well. It also does not load the cores evenly from session to session. Currently only Reaper and Cubase do it correctly, session to session. The gathered results tell us Live is actually very average when compared to all the PC DAW's for core loading, it's right above FL Studio and Sonar, but below Reaper, Cubase and S1.

As always, to each their own.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Fair enough. I haven't done any objective testing as such, just citing my experiences. I run lots and lots of Bazille, Satin, Omnisphere, Soundtoys, etc etc. In Live and almost never find myself running out of CPU. By contrast, in S1 I had trouble just running enough inserts to mix a full song of recorded vocals and rendered instrumentals. I left S1 for Cubase because of the CPU management just before they apparently improved performance. No reason to look back really, but duly noted.

As long as it keeps working for me, I have no reason to be bothered :)

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

would still answer Live.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

I would say like this:
    If you are a funky guy and you love hiking and climbing and something exciting then choose Live, and if you are traditional type of guy, financial accounter or something like that then choose S1 :)

12. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Live forever!

[​IMG]

13. HeklaCF63

HeklaCF63 Guest

14. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

25% from the actual price is what i would pay for their pro version.
    Being hunted by a grizzly bear is more fun than producing in that hobo daw.
    Still, i send my love to the community.

15. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

for detailed work on loops and effects i must say ableton beats studio one. BUT, that depends on the way you work. you can achieve the same results in all daws through different techniques.

I've been using s1 for some years now, and thinking in going over to live. there is so many small things that simply work on live. its made for ppl in modern computerized music making.

to me both live and s1 are the top daws today

i think that most never discover or really learn a deeper understandment of those production principles. after all the procedures demand a theory and practical knowledge, and most of us grasp the basics only and therefor keep jumping looking to find answers that should be found by learning and applying classic producer techniques. :trashing:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  16. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I use ableton to get the music out of my head and reaper to get it into your ears.
    If I have to do any serious recording and comping, I use reaper after I export the tracks out of ableton. Or sometimes I even bring the comped tracks back into ableton. It depends how big the project is. Its easier to mix big projects in reaper for me.
    So, in essence you can use both s1 and ableton in your workflow.

17. Bill Vkerchi?

Bill Vkerchi? Kapellmeister

Sorry, a bit off topic, but what do you people really miss in Ableton Live for mixing?
    It's like some mantra that everybody keeps on saying - ooh ableton is great but whatever other DAW is better for mixing. I can't imagine any possible feature that would make it better for mixing, am i missing out?

18. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

I agree with Bill, I do the mixing in Live and it works fine, even with "big" projects .
    So I'm also curious about the features Live is missing for the mixing part...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  19. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

The more I use Studio One,the more I looove it!

I was on Live 9.6,Cubase,ProTools,Reaper,FL,but S1 is my choice now.

20. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

@Bill Vkerchi? and @NicoDPS Same Project LIVE.png Same Project REAPER.png This is the same project...REAPER actually took up less screen real estate because of lives clip matrix.
    Live is not missing anything to get the job done, its just easier to navigate and route in REAPER. The routing matrix is a great feature that Live doesnt have. For me at least, mixing in REAPER is a LOT easier.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016