DAW Blues

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Mundano, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Slider

Slider Producer

You forgot the most important one....it was the best of threads, it was the worst of threads, again!! :deep_facepalm:

2. FredLox

FredLox Member

TO Each DAW their own....

Use what you like and don't use what you don't like....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Install OS X on you PC

4. BBSiteUser

BBSiteUser Producer

peeps ... just some quick 2 cts

whatever any software box may be labled, be it Ableton, Cubase, Samplitude, Fruity, Studio One, Logic or ProTools ... whatever is IN the box, it won't solve your probs, won't easy your shortcomings, won't fulfill your wishes and desires just by installing and using it.

You wanna get something accomplished? It's in your head and in your willingness to use exactly that ... your head. No "alternative" DAW, no other OS, no Hackintosh, no nothing will boost your performance in terms of making music,

Jack White once said: "Ease of use is the death of all creativity" and anybody who comes along telling you that with "THIS" product your creativity will just ooooOOOze outta your speakers ... won't happen.

It's in your head, it's in your creativity, it's in your stubbornness to "FRIGGIN GET IT DONE", no matter the odds and shortcomings of any software.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

If somebody thinks Reaper has the worst GUI - change it to another one! There are thousands of skins for REAPER made by users, or make your own GUI! Other DAWs don't have this feature - to choose another GUI or remake it as you want!
    Ableton Live's GUI isn't better! But you can change only color scheme like in Voxengo plugins :D But still one-coloured primitive GUI..
    The worst GUIs I've seen are SAWstudio, Sony ACID Pro, Sound Forge, WaveLab and the whole line of editors (RX is the best one though), Pyramix and possibly MOTU DP..
    REAPER is still in progress, even in the most major upgrading progress. It is the best in all parameters, features and options, as well as stability and performance.
    Bitwig is very raw, but overrated.

6. foster911

foster911 Guest

I think most FL Studio haters are those that have not done a serious project in it. I'd never ever switch to aother DAW. Please don't be mad at me! Of course for my style that still don't know what it is, FL Studio is GOD. I don't want to search alternative ways of doing things in other ones.

7. machupichu

machupichu Ultrasonic

CHAOTIC BEST DAW EVERRR
    DOWNVOTE ME DOWNVOTE ME DOWNVOTE ME DOWNVOTE ME DOWNVOTE ME

8. GokhanH33

GokhanH33 Ultrasonic

I was thinking like you untill I met S1V3. :wink: You even have to put the track numbers or name them in FL mixer by yourself. S1 & other DAWs do it automatically.

9. Voo

Voo Platinum Record

[​IMG]

Awwww the good old days..
    Look Kids .. Its Sonar 1993. You think daw's are bad now ha. MIDI was king!

10. foster911

foster911 Guest

All DAWs are mimicking mixer from the musty analog consoles. Patcher inside FL Studio is the only native digital (modular) version of it. By using Patcher you would not need out of ark mixer view because only the signal flow would matter not the mixer's appearance. One Patcher is a total mixer. Suppose you'd have unlimited ones.

I am so eager to create a poll with below title:
    Which characteristic of a DAW is more important to you?
    1- Mixer
    2-...
    3-...

I am sure above 90% of users would select 1.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2016
  11. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Rarely have problems with Reaper. Most errors seem to be when scanning plugins. This is a headache
    with every DAW I have used to date.

Sometimes it's a plugin developer issue, sometimes a DAW issue. Sometimes it's just a Windows hickup.

Digital Performer on a fast machine with 16gig or better of memory is good as well as Pro Tools and
    Samplitude.

Pro Tools and Reaper link very easily through ReWire. This seems to be a more common feature with
    most DAWs as of late. The big boys have recognized that Reaper has a place that is not easily disturbed.

As mentioned many time in threads here, think about the type of music and your production approach
    to help settle on the best DAW for that approach.

12. audiowolf

audiowolf Producer

DAW Blues, eh? I was hoping this was someone's new blues song :bleh:

I think all DAWs crash, lag and eat your project at some point if you use them enough. I say that with the experience of someone's used a whole two of them. I like to count the crashes, put a notch on my laptop and show people how dedicated I am for putting up with this crap.

When one daw closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so pissed-offedly upon the closed daw that we do not see the one which has opened for us.

There are so many daws to open. I am impatient to begin.

13. mild pump milk

I choose REAPER. Important to me is not mixer, but stability, performance, ease of use, better work with hardware, every week updates, endless quantity of plugins per insert, Media Explorer/Arrange View/Mixer GUIs made very (not thru the ass, like in FL, even 12th version has much worse GUI than before), and a whole lot of stuff that FL doesn't have. I used FL and Cubase in 2008-2012, now REAPER only, I'll never go back to FL, Cubase or other DAW, I hope...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  14. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  15. mild pump milk

Never had problems when scanning plugins in REAPER, only rare cases only. Maybe it was only with shitty and very-old-shitty plugins - but it is common for all DAWs, so it depends not on DAWs, but plugins itself.
    I have almost all existing plugins, and there are no problems in REAPER at all...

16. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

i love Reaper, it is very stable, like you say, but the "flow" in Reaper is not so fluid...
    • For me Logic is straightforward with virtual instruments and MIDI (audio editing sucks)
    • Protools with audio editing and studio recording (MIDI sucks)
    • but Reaper is King by live recording! KING, KING! the more stable DAW at all for real live recording, but.... you want to route something? => unnecessary over complicated window to route something

17. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

I'd rather buy a Mac than have the headache of figuring out what I need to make a Hackintosh and
    still end up with compatibilty issues. For a high end PC that is quite, you are still in the Mac Pro price
    range.

Mac Pro with 32GB or more o memory, 2 SSD drive, 2 graphics engines. Irresistable when you think
    about it.

18. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Try to buy a Mac in the Price range of a I7 with the same power and ability to add PCIe cards or as much SSD as you like

19. There are umpteen ways to do anything. My DAW is no better than your DAW, it is just what I use and what works for me and you use what works for you...simple. If I need to dig dirt I use a a shovel. If the ground is too hard I will first use a pick axe to break it down and then go and pick up the shovel again to continue on with the job. Flow is important and we all have our preferences of how to go from a to b. This is the easy part, picking the DAW you are comfortable with. The hard stuff is getting it down on "tape" and mixing it up so it sounds great.

20. FerdinandIIIDeMedicis

FerdinandIIIDeMedicis Kapellmeister

DP has custom themes. Also, no matter what theme I try Reaper always look ugly as hell. Reaper isn't the best at everything. Reaper's midi is nowhere as good as Cubase's midi, Reaper's workflow is nowhere as good as S1's workflow, Reaper's plugins are nowhere as good as Logic/PT's plugins. Sure, it's a great DAW, especially for the price. I just don't like how so many reaper fanboys bash every other DAW (it's not aimed at you). Reaper indeed has many features, but how many of them are actually useful for the common folk? What about we compare Reaper's useful features vs Cubase's useful features? I'm not bashing Reaper here, I used it for years and I still use it, but I wish Reaper fanboys would stop their holy crusade sometimes.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016