DAW Blues

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Mundano, Feb 17, 2016.

1. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

I believe that sometimes the DAW itself is not problematic, but the people working on it do, and not necessarily for the amount of features they want to / can put in their softwares, but how they approach feedback and how they can hinder features from current versions to include them in later big updates.

For instance, I have seen many good ideas on image-line forums to improve some things about the general GUI in FL Studio 12 (which looks ridicolously bad imho) or even parts of it like the Patcher, but many of them were rejected and fuck knows why. Furthermore, somebody pointed out that it would have been really cool to be able to set min/max parameters expressed in Hz instead of stupid percentages (and it can be really handy while managing equalizers and filters) but Scott (if I'm correct) rejected the idea saying that it was impossible to use Hz when assigning macro ranges, and it was just a matter of minutes before somebody pointed out how even Ableton Live was able to do so with the macros.
    Another example would be when people ask for automation curves in midi "events" instead of these obknoxiously old graphics that still need to be hand drawn or recorded.
    Shit like this makes me wonder if the attitude of the people working behind the softwares we use are the problem of our DAWs because the potential each program could have is without any doubt bigger than what we have right now even if there might be framework limitations. For instance, FL Studio could never be optimized for stuff that Logic, Cubase, S1 or any hard disk recording software is potentially capable of, while these programs might not be as handy as FL Studio is when it comes to step sequencer patterns and midi editing.
    I'm not really familiar with how Avid, Steinberg and so on manage to fuck their customers up because I never used other programs aside FL, S1 and Live long enough to understand the companies enough, but if you ask me FL Studio is the least professional and unreliable Audio Software I have ever used. It was cool until I started to work with music seriously, because as long as you want to experiment with sound design (but even there I had issues with my virus TI vst) and make just "beats" FL Studio is fine, but when it comes to have a reliable DAW that can manage a generous amount of effects without running into PDC issues pretty much everything else is better than it.
    And no, I'm not part of that anti-FL circlejerk, I've been using that software since I was 16 until when I was 24, so i can say that I have grown with it, but at some point I couldn't stand the limits that once were not even an issue or that I didn't even acknowledge the existence of.

This kinda deviates from what the thread was supposed to get as response, but I felt it was somehow relevant.

2. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

I believe idea is to give it reaper an analog console vibe. I like it most out of all the themes so far.
    Could it be better? Sure! Next release...

3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

I have not used Logic since version 5.5 for PC or read any recent manuals. If the latest is anything like
    what I can recall, you should be in heaven. I'm sure features have been improved and added since 5.5..

Wish they would make it available for PC again. Would love to purchase it without spending 3K plus
    for a new Mac that does what I want. Can only dream....

4. FerdinandIIIDeMedicis

FerdinandIIIDeMedicis Kapellmeister

Worst DAW at resources consuming:
    Digital Performer and Pro Tools

Worst DAW's GUI:
    Sonar and Reaper (and don't get me started with custom themes, I'm talking about default themes here. That doesn't change the fact that Reaper is amazing anyway)

Worst DAW overall:
    Sonar and FL Studio.

5. notremid

notremid Producer

The perennial best/worst DAW posts:suicide:

6. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star

try this daw you will like it , i never have any CPU or any problems
    Highly recommended

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  7. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

@Mundano i don't use logic as much as I used to, but awesome daw. Make sure if your project gets cpu intensive you use Logic's Low latency mode. It's good stuff. Learn your daw inside out! All daws do the same.

8. FerdinandIIIDeMedicis

FerdinandIIIDeMedicis Kapellmeister

No.

9. olivergrey

olivergrey Member

Just my personal opinion but..

Worst with cosuming resources
    Pro Tools

Worst DAW GUI
    SAWStudio....dear god...just...yea.

Worst DAW overall:
    [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode, arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]
    FL Studio, super biased opinion because the SEVERE memory management problems that I've had with it, being unable to properly open projects, unable to export mp3's, A proper mixer with folders and intuitive bussing/aux sends, and recording options are a joke. I started on FL and loved it, but once I found Studio One I realized how much I was lacking.

Random question to any who have had experience with both: What do you feel about Samplitudes GUI/Resource Consumption Vs. Reaper? Thinking about producing in S1 and mixing in one of those

[/FONT]

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

FL Studio is a DAW? really? :hahaha:Expecting for v19.x (IL plugs are good, however).
    Also voting for Aegis Sonix (Amiga) ...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

There is one DAW that it is in the same time the worst and the best in opinion:

Samplitude!
    - amazing possibilities, great concept, very "smooth" to work on its project page (vip), great engine...
    - but incredibly outdated GUI... it makes You feel You are working on Win 3.1 :no:.
    The user interface is I believe the main reason why so few people use it, compared to other popular DAWs

...after more than 15 Years of development, there are still some basic bugs appearing from time to time.

still, I will not give up on it... got my first version many many years ago bundled with my ASIO card, and got infected... it is so different than all other DAWs (in a good way)

A shout to the Magix team: "come on guys!, buy a new dress for that beauty, so it can win a few contests"

12. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

Thank you!! When I said that I got crucified..

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

14. GokhanH33

GokhanH33 Ultrasonic

Best DAW: Studio One v3
    Best sound quality: Cubase Pro 8.5
    Worst DAWs: Pro Tools & FL Studio(especially the mixer)
    Best new comer: Bitwig
    Worst GUI: Reaper & Live(can't get used to it)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  15. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

it's the... computer...

16. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

i know this, but thank you very much, i am with time pressure and atm incredibly Protools audio mixing is worst the same as Logic X v.i. mixing.... is a matter of what i have in audio finished or midi. But the best performance for me is Reaper, only that i work fluid with Logic and V.I.s and i mix happy in Protools, but i think my computer is requiring update, mac OSX 10.9.4, 16GB RAM, 4 cores, 1TB internal disk, 6TB external disks

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  17. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

i7-4790k (before i3 550), rewire off, multithread option set to "playback", buffer from 256 to 1024 if you don't need to record or play live. keep your mac clean and shitty free. Works like a charm for me.

18. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

worst daw ever created : fl studio

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. Soul1975

Soul1975 Platinum Record

People always put Pro Tools on the chopping block,and i'm not trying to argue or debate,BUT....to me,it's outstanding as far as workflow and ease of use.Granted i only track from my MPC (mic sometimes) but to me it's not as bad as people say.
    As far as resources,i guess it runs o.k. because i don't add 8 effects on every track.
    If it takes that much to clean up a track or make it sound decent,i don't feel the need to keep it but part of the genre i like is the sound so that lo-fi,low end "warmth" is something i like anyways.Not everything needs to be super clean but again i guess it depends on the genre and personal preference.(of course)

Peace

20. HamerFirst

HamerFirst Noisemaker

Best DAW: The DAW I'm using now.

Worst DAW: Any DAW except the one I'm using now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List