DAW and Mixing console

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Marcsal, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Marcsal

Marcsal Kapellmeister

I need to pick your brains. I always work inside the DAW but want to try a couple of hardware synths and the 808 clone. Im not sure of how to ho about using hardware with the DAW. I have several questions. I need those geniuses here to please share your knoledge with me. My DAWs are FL Studio and Studio One. Focusrite 1820 Mk ii. Windows 7.

1. Do I need an external mixer in order to combined my hardware with DAW or is the Focusrite enogh.
    2.If I need external mixer, how do I record within the DAW whatever intrument is in mixer?
    3. What brand and model is better at this? Budget $3000.
    Thanks in advance to all of you for your help and for reading this post

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

at first place, you should ask yourself how much "simultaneous routing" do you actually need;
    let's say you have 20 hardware synths, but only need 3 at once, you can have a patchbay and just physically plug what you need;
    but let's say you'd want those 20 hardware synths at once, you'd need audio interface with this many inputs (for separate tracks in DAW) or some mixer (to record mixdown in DAW directly);
    then you'd also need to think about the layout and setup - route from one synth to another, route track from DAW through synth back to a DAW etc..;

my recommendation (take it as an example, not 100% best solution for your case) would be:
    1) get RME Fireface UFX II which is basically DSP-powered zero-latency mixer and audio interface in rack unit (search TotalMix FX to understand what that unit is capable of, realtime)
    2) set your 18i20 as standalone ADAT converter, plug to the RME - this way you add more channels in total
    3) maybe (if you're good at soldering, or can find a person who'd do it for you) make a patchbay so you could physically plug various stuff (for ex. Thon Rack Panel 2U 32XLR, filled with Neutrik NC3 FD-LX-B and Neutrik NC3 MD-LX-B)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  4. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

The Scarlet has 8 line inputs & 8 line outputs, so you can record up to 8 mono (or 4 stereo) sources simultaneously.
    So you don't really need an extra mixer. It would make your workflow more flexible, but you'd need a mixer with 8 outputs to make full use of all the inputs on the Scarlet. Those mixers are usually big and not cheap, and have a lot of functions you won't use. Indeed, a patch panel would come in handy, even without a mixer.

Even this (affordable, small) mixer only has 6 individual outputs:
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer...iLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6IjIiLCJsYW5ndWFnZSI6ImVuIn0=
    A patchpanel, impossible to beat that price if you'd solder it yourself:
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_px3000_ultrapatch_pro_patchbay.htm?ref=search_prv_7

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

great input as always tzzsmk.....but a patchbay is cheap...anyway great advice
    https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-patchbay/k0

the behringer is the swizz knfe of patchbays( says my research :disco:)

i see the mixer in this scenario as the fun factor for making session....not really needed for producing tracks

but some do glue and bring analog flav and you can have insert and sends...if using an analog mixer...allen and heat and mackie are one of the top rankers

digital or analog mixer you have to research ...digital can bring much coziness

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Tob

Tob Platinum Record

Ask yourself how many hardware units do you want to hook up and more importantly, how many do you want to use at the same time?
    The scarlett has 8 mono in (4 stereo) and 8 out + digital i/o and monitor out.
    So you can hook up and use at the same time 4 stereo hardware units just with your interface. If you don't play (record) more than 4 at the same time but you want to hook up more a patch bay could be a cheap solution instead of a mixer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Gyro Gearloose

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  8. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I wonder why. :unsure:

EDIT: :facepalm:It took me almost one day to properly understand your sentence. You meant, if he uses a mixer this mixer needs 8 outputs to...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Nope, as @Tob already said, as long as 8 i/o are sufficient, your interface will do.

If you want to buy a mixer: mixer stereo out -> Focusrite in, that's all (as long as it's connected via USB with your computer, ofc).

You probably won't need three grand to connect your synths with your interface.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Gyro Gearloose

yea first buy patchbay and some hardware effects...mixer later if you still want it...
    when you buy 8 mono synth the 3000 are decimated as well e.g

but when you go the hardware route a good RME card is good fundament when not the best...and you can hook it up via adat to focurite...

i wouldnt buy anything under 16 channel mixer later later

11. ADiSH

ADiSH Ultrasonic

Like others said, the interface got enough inputs for your hardware, and if all you got are synth's and an 808 you dont really need a mixer or a patchbay. you dont need to spend any more (definitely dont need a new interface like some suggested..)
    If you got any effects that you need to send from the DAW to the hardware i suggest using Pipeline in studio one, make things a lot simpler

12. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@Marcsal I have to agree with everyone that has said that you don't need a dedicated mixing console with your setup which currently is the Nord, a Waldorf, a Dave Smith and the 808 clone in the future. Correct? If you still want a console, you can sell the Focusrite and get something like a Midas , a Soundcraft or a Allen Heath digital mixing console. You can buy them used in excellent condition for around that price.

13. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

...and I agree with The Pirateguy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. hayabusa

hayabusa Producer

What about StudioLive 16/24/32 SC to work perfectly with its DAW Studio One?It seems to be done for it..using Live but own a Presonus StudioLive 32 and it works great....
    just an idea....

15. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

That could very well be the best and cheapest option. At least when it comes to workflow and functionality with Studio One, neither the MIDAS , the Souncraft or the A & H come even closer to LVE. I just don't know how the preamps in the Presonus compare to those in the MiDAS and A & H.

16. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

my main problem with patchbays (perhaps I'm just over-reacting though) is, they are TRS based - which means, there's a potential chance to short-circuit the connections when replugging them;
    Neutrik XLR by design is best physical connector for audio wiring, as it fully avoids accidentally touching different wires/pins - yes it does take more space (usually 16 connectors is limit for rack width, compared to 24 most jack patchbays can offer), but afterall it's fully physical device which can endure half century without a hiccup, so hey why cut budget on it;
    note on gold plating - it does make sense for panels which are not replugged often (as it doesn't oxidate that quickly), but if someone changes connections often, then cheapest (even used) Neutrik XLR panel connectors do amazing job (compared to for ex. Proel, they don't get latch stuck accidentally)

17. Gyro Gearloose

:woot:agreed

18. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

It's just Bantam jacks. These are really pricey compared to regular 1/4" and only really necessary if you absolutely need to squeeze double the amount of connections in the same space. Which is the case with big mixing consoles which may have 48 inputs, 48 insert points, 48 recording outs etc. That becomes a lot of connections and space is at a premium. Also, reliability over 20+ years. You don't need anything of that for a home studio

You are overreacting. It's only a "problem" if you leave your jacks halfway plugged in for several days and even then your devices should have protections against that. Also XLR is not a Neutrik's design, it was first introduced around 1950 as the Cannon X series of connectors, then they made a version with a latch mechanism (XL). Later on they made a version with the contacts put in a Resilient polychloroprene compound and named it XLR. The advantage with this type of connector over others is that pin 1 (which is ground) is placed a bit more forward than the others so it makes a connection as the first and breaks as the last for less hum and buzz while plugging and unplugging. Switchcraft and Neutrik later copied the design.

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. Gyro Gearloose

:thanks:for heads up:beg::hifive:

20. Marcsal

Marcsal Kapellmeister

Thanks to everyone. Im getting a clearer picture now:like:

21. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Save your Focusrite interface and just buy a Adat converter if you need more inputs.You'll get 8 more channels.
    I have bought a relatively cheap one recently,the Presonus Digimax DP88 (650 €):
    https://www.presonus.com/products/digimax-dp88

Of course a better solution would be to buy a RME UFX soundcard and a RME converter,but it's not the same price then.

And save your dollars to buy hardware synths instead.