Dark Matter: GZA/Vangelis Collaboration

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by sideshowbob, Aug 31, 2015.

1. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Producer

From GZAs FB:
    [​IMG]

According to reports, the album is informed by GZA’s discussions with the likes of Neil deGrasse Tyson and aims to use music as a vector in getting listeners interested in science:

“I don’t think people have ever really been in touch with science,” he said. “They’re drawn to it, but they don’t know why they’re drawn to it.”
    “For example, you may be blown away by the structure of something, like a soccer ball or a geodesic dome, with its hexagonal shapes. Or how you can take a strand of hair and can get someone’s whole drug history. They’re different forms of science, but it’s still science.”
    He plans to package “Dark Matter” with a short illustrated book that may also include the album’s lyrics and a glossary, “like an epic textbook,” he said.

While Vangelis may at first seem like an unusual collaborator, the Greek composer’s 1976 re;ease Albedo 0.39 is a concept album about space and astrophysics. It sampled NASA mission recordings, years before it became commonplace.

[​IMG]

And the music of Vangelis was featured prominently in the highly influential Carl Sagan PBS series, Cosmos. The soundtrack included music from the composer’s Albedo 0.39, Heaven and Hell, Ignacio, Beauborg, Spiral and other albums.

No release date for Dark Matter has been announced, yet.

• Like Like x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Xyenz Fyxion

Xyenz Fyxion Producer

Maybe, some might not understand delayed gratification. But, I'm looking forward to this album! It's a little self-serving for me to say it was a good idea to focus more time on the project than shows. I love Xyenz, I mean Science! And, unusual collaborations bring innovation.

4. K33F

K33F Newbie

Dopeness!

5. TkiD

TkiD Noisemaker

Will be keeping an eye out for this, always loved Vangelis he always was ahead of his time, and GZA, the Wutang's, RZA and crew, I have most of their albums, I love the raw sound, can't wait to hear the combination!