Dark distant perc thing

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by freefeet12, Mar 25, 2017.

1. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Pitched down clap soaked in verb? A 2nd Snare maybe? Layered clap/snare tuned down and wet? Some other noise in verb?

By the way, anyone know of a good machine/industrial noise/sounds library? Crap being smacked around, ambiance, ect

Thanks

Attached Files:

3. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Soundmorph has some cool libraries for that kind of thing. The source samples in Mechanism has some of what you're looking for. The designed samples are more robotic.
    I've been using this site lately: https://www.freesound.org/. Search keyword 'industrial' and you'll get some ambient stuff.
    I've made some seriously cool impacts just setting my phone down and recording myself hitting stuff with other stuff next to it. Works even better if the phone and what you're hitting are resting on the same conductive surface. Different surfaces change up the sound completely. Like mattresses, folded fabrics or even Lego.
    Another place to get interesting samples is PC games. If you go into the game files you can usually just rip the SFX and audio right out. How simple it is to do depends on the game. For the new Doom it was just a matter of renaming the .pk4 to .zip then extracting and I had a folder of ogg files ripe for mangling. I don't play games much anymore but I heard that Reznor had recorded a bunch of sounds for it and I couldn't resist.

Sounds like a wood block or similar type of perc sample layered with a hat, pitched down, filtered and with a gated reverb.

4. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Also useful if you're into sculpting your own metal mayhem. 99Sounds The Warehouse. A free collection of sounds by Richard Gould.
    http://99sounds.org/the-warehouse/
    Tons of stuff in there for adding a bunch of tinkles, rattles squeaks and squawks to your Transformer-ish metal impacts.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  5. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

6. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Sweet. Thanks for the sample suggestions and links.

That's a good idea with the games. I'll check that out. I also never thought of using my phone for some dumb reason. I tend to hate the thing. I'll give that a shot too eventually.

A wood block, hmmm, can't say I've heard one like that. Closer to a metronome sound comes to mind rather than a slap,if you know what I mean. Maybe slapped together. Then again, I know very little about wood blocks as instruments.

Thanks!

7. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Thanks for all the suggestions for industrial type sounds . . . just what the doctor ordered!