Dark Aggressive Synth from Titan's show theme song

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Xupito, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

So I was watching this cool show, "Titans", like the first DC-based superhero one who can look Marvel-Netflix ones eye to eye.

The opening/ending/theme song is unbelievable good, but the thing I liked the most is that synth that starts just the beginning. It starts again just at 1:00s.

To a metal-head like me, that sound and the way is played sounds kind of the electronic version of a dark metal rhythm guitar.

I barely know synths, so for me it works both a pure synth VSTi or a sampled one. But one that isn't too CPU hungry would be best for my ancient computer.

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

No surprise, this could aswell be a heavily distorted e-bass. Maybe/probably with multiband distortion and two different types of distortion.

4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

One of them probably a lo-fi one?

5. No Avenger

Don't know, I tried my normal e-bass vsti and dialed in some heavy distortion. Had to tame the attack a bit and adjust the eq, ofc, but was pretty close. So I think with the appropriate distortion(s) any e-bass will do.

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Please share your wisdom. VSTi, effects,... more the effects because I already have a couple of VSTi E-basses.

You're right, it's bass all around the place. In these days of 8-string dark-lowtuned-djenty metal guitars sometimes a beginner like me can't tell.

7. No Avenger

:hahaha: So, no need for a bass anymore...

I used Many Bass' own Heavy Distortion, but I just played a bit around and found a weird FF Saturn setup (I think Saturn is more common than Many Bass :winker:). I made two presets for you, first insert Heavy Sat Bass and then Gentle Sat Bass. No kidding, two distortions in a row. :woot:

Needs some fine tuning according to your source, ofc.

https://www106.zippyshare.com/v/fiCSjgac/file.html

https://www106.zippyshare.com/v/nSXLrsno/file.html

In the bass I used ~30ms for attack and ~ 120ms for release in amp and a much longer release time in filter, cutoff at 0, full envelope (ADSR 0ms, 0ms, 100%, 1000ms).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  8. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Overly compressed and overly distorted bass guitar or bass synth. Sometimes it is enough twice to overdistort this bass (distortion and then again distortion, something tubey or amps etc, knobs and faders on the right 100 percent or so) . You can do this with spire or massive or any good VST "analog"/virtual analog synth + dirty tube distortion, amps etc.
    Starting point)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Many thanks @mild pump milk and tons of thanks @No Avenger .
    I'll go with these presets since in my effort to not compulsively try everything and master nothing the FabFilter bundle is one of the few I've selected.
    I may want to alert my neighbor it won't be an earthquake when his flat shakes.

Two distortions in a row, that's nothing for a metalhead, I totally believe you both :wink:.