Dancehall track

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Floyd, Apr 9, 2018.

?

is it hard to get that type of sound?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Nope

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Floyd

Floyd Member

Sounds good bro, wanna explain your process??

@mozee looking forward to the run down.

2. Cackwizard

Cackwizard Ultrasonic

Wow. Just wow. you guys are incredible.

3. Master Q

Master Q Producer

can i self proclaim myself the winner ? lol im just here for the competition lol

Floyd straight from the jump your mic is awful there is too much static noise in the recording I dint even get to eq it the way i wanted.thats out the way

Process
    1 find BPM of the song ...91
    2 time stretch both of them to align
    3 do some wizardry in this "software" to find that dam vocal the best i could
    4 tune the vocals
    3 split the chorus and verse
    6 create backing vocals for the chorus
    7 tune all the vocals
    8 create a frequency gap in the instrumental for the vocals to sit
    9 compress the shit out of the vocals 15 db to be exact....i know y'all cant hear it right ; ) Hardware wink wink
    10 some innovative eq on the vocals no de essing
    11 splash of reverb , small plat and room combo
    12 mix buss chain ; ) ;)
    13 analog sum
    14 limiter went for a nice fairly moderate rms of -11
    15 upload

15 minutes of work plus some change

Come at me bros

4. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Yhea, sorry I am slow as stated when we started, got busy with the family for a bit. I'll do a write up at some point today.

5. Floyd

Floyd Member

Thats fine bro, take your time i am in no rush.

@Master Q I am new to the mixing so thats a little hard to follow.

6. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Here is the setting i used for the final mix down, besides the normal loading the tracks in the daw, finding the bpm (for time-dominate plugins, reverbs, delay, comps & edits Now i will break down which each do for me.

Vocal Bus
    VUMT -7.5db reduction (I used this to trim the input gain, so i can hit the others plugins levels in the chain right,-20rms to -12rms, max -6db peak depending on the plugin and the amount of saturation i'm looking for.)

Fab Filter Pro-Q 2 - 1.3db Bell @700Hz gain reduction (i use this plugin to see the overall frequency balance and to cut only, i use my ears with other colored Eqs or hardware for boosts)

GEQ 8200 Shelf - 2db @8Khz (i used this to add Definition & Sharpness.)

OverTone FC70 Comp - 4db of gain reduction (I used this to add bigness to the vocals, to control the macro-dynamics)

FabFilter Pro-R; Modulated (Great for adding depth, separation & space, great reverb, automation is key)
    2.35 Space for Hooks Mix @7%
    3.24 Space for the Chorus Mix @10%

EchoBoy, Vocal Slap Delay (Height)(SO Sexy words delayed times 12) (you can do crazy delays with this plugin and automation is key, i used this for Height, pretty much to lift the vocals in to air)

EchoBoy,
    Single Delay @11%-26% Mix knob modulated (i used this one overall delays, where needed)

MicroShift - Air preset @29% (Height) (i used this plugin to assist the Echoboy plugin for fine-tuning the vocal position in the stereo field)
    MicroShift - CleanWide @0%- 90% Mix Knob modulated (Width for Chorus) (i used this one for chorus vocal expansion & separation)

Manley Variable MU Mojo @21db Gdrive (I used this Nebula preset to smooth up the vocal)

Custom Neve 1073 EQ (i used this to bring the Vocals Wide & forward and to add body, and ofcourse the Neve Sound lol)
    1db @12Khz Shelf
    2.5db @4.8Khz Bell
    1.8db @220Hz Bell
    HPF @80hz

Secret Sauce (Mullard Tubes)(Well, Well, Well see my other thread about this bad boys)

VUMT +7.5db gain (at the end of my chain i add back the volume i turned down and running the vocals though the other plugins, but remember each plugin is at unity gain, so i can bypass any plugin and still match the perceived volume)

TDR Ultrasonic Filter - Hard preset (this plugin is used to remove the inter-modulation distortion, which is associated with ultra-high frequencies, its usually best to add to the beginning & ending of your chain, and maybe between each plugins)

-0.5db - +2db Volume automation (Self-explanatory)

Riddim Bus
    TrackSpacer @22% Mix (SideChain from the vocal track) (this plugin is a gem for creating space, but it takes a little getting used and setting correctly to shine, but i used this to side-chain the vocal track to to poke a hole for the vocal to sit in the mix)

Charly
    @ -3db output gain (I used this to trim the input gain, this plugin is basically an harmonic Amp, just adds something special)

Girthy Master Bus Warm
    (HO) (I used this Nebula preset to beef up the riddim track)

Secret Sauce (12AX7 Tubes) (Well, Well, Well see my other thread about this bad boys)

Charly
    @ +3db output gain (this plugin is basically an harmonic Amp, just adds something special)

If you wanna me to break down my mixbuss, let me know? Cheers
    this is mainly a teaching thread but im always ready when you waan haffi mix-off, no mix up lol)

Floyd - Luv You Girl (Mixdown).wav
    www99.zippyshare.com/v/WzZp0G99/file.html

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  7. Master Q

Master Q Producer

imma talk my shit,,, i think my mix smoked everyone elses
    and it took under 20 mins

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Floyd

Floyd Member

thanks again but as mentioned earlier bro they are trying to help me to get my mixing skills better so its not so much a competition as it is a lesson for me.

working on a new mix that I will upload later, just doing the basics though since how to tune the voice and among a few other things I have not grasped completely yet.

gate with a subtle setting on and a compressor thats hitting hard aswell as a eq to do some minor cuts and distortion on the main vocals, then I use parallel compression to bring the voice out a bit more and give it more clarity and there is a reverb fx channel that I use to add a slight reverb to the main vocal aswell, finnaly I use a comrpessor to cut out a bit of the mid of the beat (very Little) to leave some space for my vocals to cut through.

hoping its better than before, does sound that way to me though.

need some help with that, plugin recommendations etc.

Edit: track added below please let me know how this mix sounds

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  9. Master Q

Master Q Producer

it sounds.....not as good as mine

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Sounds good, gotta keep moving forward and focus on EQ & Compression. Your vocals sounds boxy and it still sounds like you recorded over the instrumental
    Are you sure? If so give mix details im interested. Its louder wont count, agreed lol

11. Floyd

Floyd Member

Got it should i compress the mids more and the vocals can sit better i could also use EQ to carve out some more space for the vocal.

12. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

See Floyd, you have to ask yourself what do you want your voice to sound like, for example, Upfront in your face (Think Busy Signal, Mad Cobra) or laidback (vocals soak in reverb think Mavado, Popcaan) your voice is already powerful & strong, so you should counter-attack with 2.7K, 4.2K, 8K, 12K, 16K, Eq Boosts depending on the song, but always it starts at the source, your Mic Choice is important, for you i would recommend a condenser Mic

or Dry (with delays)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

you could also move further away (not across the room lol) from the mic or try different angles to offset the bassy frequencies (proximity effect). One thing is for sure you have to carve off these low end frequencies or your voice is going to keep hogging your tracks. The tweaking options are endless but just build a chain that works and stick with it. You can get creative with it later but for now build your foundation.

As your still learning "Practice, Practice & Practice" because it makes perfect, and don't read to know, read to understand.

If your stuck you know where to ask for help, provided your leaving a sample and then ask how you would like it to sound then we can assist.

But remember Louder is not always better, if you level match one song mixed by two different engineers you will hear the pros and cons of each mixed but if one is louder are ears perceive it as better. Also some music sites transcode all tracks to 128kbps mp3 for streaming playback like soundcloud. For Example listen to these two same songs switching between both in your DAW, which do you like better, what differences are you noticing?

Floyd - Luv You Girl (Mixdown) IntroNinja.mp3 16bit/128Kbps
    Code:
    https://www118.zippyshare.com/v/pekSIv4E/file.html

Floyd - Luv You Girl (Mixdown) IntroNinja.wav 24bit/96K
    Code:
    https://www99.zippyshare.com/v/WzZp0G99/file.html

14. Master Q

Master Q Producer

did you not see my mix breakdown above lol i made that guy sound like he recorded with a sony800g lol

15. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Lol i was talking about giving details about his mix compare to yours.

16. Master Q

Master Q Producer

lol my mix smokes yours too , im sending shots to everybody.

your mix - good... decent RMS , could hear the voice reasonable however washy reverb , very static and obvious use of delay

his mix - sounds like a demo - no sparkle sounds like raw tracks boxy , quiet but atleast the voice never gets lost in the track ..... because its sitting on top lol

my mix. rms good, voice , crystal clear , no distortion, loud , increase dynamic range , increase space and clarity in the instrumental tonally balanced dear i go on

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

I did two different mixes, which one are you talking about? Dont say both lol please

You are very confident in your mix, great spirit i like it but are you just cocky or in the game and still cocky lol? Can you post a direct download link like zippyshare of your mix and we will let the members here decide, that is if your up for it. Your soundcloud wont suffice.

P.s. Floyd made this thread for learning how to mix better, your not helping just by saying it not as good as mine or just posting mix notes without describing their usage but finally you just did. If you want we can create another thread with new full multi-track mix and let the best mixer win, that is if your establishment is not busy lol.

18. Master Q

Master Q Producer

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. Floyd

Floyd Member

if your here to tell me my mixes suck then no worries I already know that which is why I am here trying to learn but you are not helping by making it a competition so if you are looking for a competition your definitely not in the right thread.
    touch love is very different from boasting

@Introninja my mic is a condenser mic although it's a cheap one so I don't expect much, I am doing a remix today to upload later so you guys can let me know how that one sounds. @Master Q the above mix which I did last has nothing but compressor and EQ just so you know I wasn't trying to get it sound better than yours I am taking it one step at a time so, for now, I am looking at solely eq and compression so I can have the voice sit better in the mix and things like voice tuning etc I will look at after.

20. Master Q

Master Q Producer

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List