daisy-chained audio interface

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by wouala woualouf, May 8, 2019.

1. wouala woualouf

wouala woualouf Platinum Record

Hi people,
    I was just wondering if you guys and gals know any (recent) audio interface, that you can use 2, or even 3 units at the same time.

And if you use it, is it working flawlessly? Which Windows version ? Which daw, which buffer sizes... etc etc etc.

For example, 10+ years ago, it was possible to have up to 4 m-audio delta 1010/ other models, running at the same time. It required a pci port for each card. A group of people would complain about the timing. ..others would say it required a word clock connection, to sync up everything. ..

There also is the steinberg ur824, it looks like we can daisy chain up to 3 units. .. but instead of simply connecting the 3 usb cables, and voila, i think all the units must be connected with the usb cable PLUS we also need to use the adat ports... like unit 1 adat out goes to unit 2 adat in.. then unit 2 adat out goes to unit 3 adat in... and finally unit 3 adat out goes back to unit 1 adat in.... + word clock !

If it really requires all that crap...it looks super weird. .. maybe some users have 2 of those units running inside cubase...? If they could share their experience. .

i know the guy from Askvideo, that makes some cubase tutorials , Matthew Loel hepworth, was using 3 ur824... unfortunately, there is no way to contact him, and ask him about that. ..

Thanks in advance :)

3. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Aww man, your new avatar has given me a laugh! Thanks! haha. 2 jokes in one. :rofl:
    Sorry I can't help with your question though...

4. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Daisy chaining with Usb or Firewire should not require external clocking, since the timing information can be carried thru the same cable. Never heard that it would require wordclocking, that´s mostly for analog gear and digital geeks.

5. playtime

playtime Rock Star

UAD audio interfaces can be daisy-chained. Haven't tried myself, but I know others who use it and it works.

More info HERE