d16 FXs alternatives

Discussion in 'Software' started by Backtired, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Hello guys,
    now that my life got back on track I started removing all the craps from the HDD. I'm left with very few plugins. A bundle that I really like is the d16 Group fx: it has a phaser, a chorus, reverb, distortion, delays, flanger, bit dist, etc. I like it. The problem is, the cured version seems to have some bugs and the GUI freezes sometimes.
    Now, eventually one day I'd want to be able to go legit and buy stuff, so I want to get used to the plugins I am going to buy. Since these ones are clunky and I have to reset them every few minutes, I was wondering about trying another "bundle" that contains more or less the same stuff.
    The goal is to get used to it and get the most out of them, so that one day I'll feel comfortable buying them.

I was looking at Uhbik from U-He, a great company (it's missing a bit crusher). Anything else? Not looking for "mixing" stuff (EQ, compressors, etc), mainly production effects.

It feels really satisfying when you clean all your crap and you start to get the most out of the stuff you're left with.

Bye bye, have a good one

3. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

I'd first try Logic's stock plugins. There's hardly anything missing and they do sound great.
    If you want more in-depth control, Meldaproduction have quite remarkable FX but so do FabFilter and Toneboosters.

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Eventide
    www.eventideaudio.com/plug-ins/
    www.eventideaudio.com/plug-ins/clockworks-bundle/
    www.eventideaudio.com/plug-ins/h9-series/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. clone

clone Audiosexual

7. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

8. Quantised Noise

Quantised Noise Producer

TBH d16's bit crusher is just a simple PCM-only bit truncation crusher anyway, plogue's chipcrusher is a far better solution with a-law, u-law and DPCM emulations that'll cover everything, not just the SP-12[00].

9. Yuri

Yuri Rock Star

10. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

I really like the simplicity of NoiseAsh Audio's Palmary Collection. It has a delay, filter, phaser, tremolo, bit crusher, saturator, reverb, speaker sim (telephones, radios etc.), vocal "finalizer and stereo "finalizer (for instrument bus processing). I don't care much for the last one, but the the vocal finalizer can be useful from time to time. The effects are really good (no oversampling though) and light on CPU. The bundle includes most of what you actually need from a FX bundle and not a ton of unnecessary stuff. You can buy it for $119 most of the time, even though the regular price is supposed to be $400.

If you're prepared to spend a bit more I would suggest just buying the Fabfilter FX bundle. It's worth every last penny and just with Saturn 2, Timeless 3 and Volcano 3 you could replace all of the d16 plug-ins.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

12. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

Same thing dawg. Mixing is part of production now.

13. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Thanks for all the answers, appreciate it. Will take a look around soon.
    Yes I do use stock plugins, but I really dislike some of them (FL Studio).

@Valnar: I'm not by any means a good producer in the technical aspect, I just put some EQ sometimes here and there and move some knobs and faders; I focus mostly on the production part. I used to apply lots of cuts, compression, etc. but I noticed that if you make a good sound first and you produce smart, then you need to do much less later. But I'm an hobbyist, my opinion doesn't count: I'm sure if I gave some experts my stems they would make an even greater product. I like the music I make and I'm happy with it, it makes me glad after many years to have finally reached this point.

Cheers and thanks again!

14. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

If you do that with dialing in the EQ in the fx chain in Serum then what's the difference between that and inserting a channel strip EQ? ...
    It's not that your opinion doesn't count, it's just one and the same thing

15. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

D16 FX and Instruments are one of the reasons I'm still stuck with Windows. :( I don't believe there is many bundles that would sound similar and have same FX, but SoundToys and Eventide come to mind. Lexicon MPX effects, too. All pretty expensive bundles.

Then there's u-he with their Uhbik, Filterscape, ColourCopy, and Twangstrom. U-he effects are top class, except that I find Uhbik a bit too clean sounding, but ColourCopy and Twangstrom sound impeccable. :wink:

Since I'm not the most rich man on the planet, actually barely scraping to *try* to make ends meet, I would choose u-he Uhbik. I heard Urs will update the whole bundle and if he makes it sound a bit more colourful, it might be worth it. :wink:

16. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

someone mentioned chipcrusher here and its true, I don't think theres a more comprehensive bitcrusher out there when it comes to modeling actual chips and circuits and you can get it for 14 dols during sales, its a banger. Apart from that there's Tritik's "Krush" which is free and its the best free option out there for bitcrusing. There's also lo-fi-af from PA if you want something that goes beyong bitcrushing, if you catch a sale you can get it for 24 dols.

17. clone

clone Audiosexual

it is not. ignoring all other things like signal chain, processing order and summing; it is still another plugin instance loaded into the project using RAM and CPU resources. For that one thing alone, it is already different. It's very different from whipping stuff together knowing you can easily process it more later.

18. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

Yeah but we are not talking about that difference, we are talking about the fact that both are EQs.

19. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I'm partial to NI's stuff for FX fuckery, the newest effects are great in my opinion.

The ones @triggerflipper mentioned and then some are all available in Guitar Rig 6 Pro.

Despite the name it works just as well with any other input source + you get a handy semi-modular rack to house them in, with signal flow tweaks (running effects in parallel for instance) and a lot of modulators for the parameters.