Cybotron - Clear (Synth?)

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by shake_puig, Dec 5, 2014.

1. shake_puig

shake_puig Producer

Hello! I would like to know what kind of sound is the one at the begining of the beat (it apears at every measure).

I tried to remake it but it looks harder than I thought, any advices?

thanks.

starts at 0:06

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Stacked and detuned saws (supersaw). Highpassed and with some chorus.

[​IMG]

4. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

just white noise oscillator and playing with tune and env

follow this video, just like a clue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUWO90y-fKA

5. mono

mono Audiosexual

hi you can try this preset for sylenth the notes / chord played in your vid were d,g,d i think,
    i also added a few kicks made in g and mono,they where just sitting here.

http://www68.zippyshare.com/v/49002053/file.html
    ==
    here is a old skool crew 808 you could like,
    have a good weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lougsdrpUEs

@ Baxter black and white as well :wow:

6. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

but the question is you mean synth sound or that whoosh sound

7. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Oh FFS I own this record and it's nothing but samples from Kraftwerk layered over some beats. kinda like what Afrika Bambaataa did with Planet Rock back in the day so I suggest you check out the following:- Moog Minimoog - ARP Odyssey - Farfisa Rhythm Unit 10 - Vox Percussion King - Farfisa Professional Piano - EMS Synthi- and the Mutron Biphase. These were the synths that Kraftwerk used during the time of the original recording. I'm certain you'll find the sound you are looking for

8. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Mykal is right, that's how a lot of techno started out. Artists sampled Kraftwerk. And if copyright laws were like they are today a whole genre would cease to exist right there.

9. shake_puig

shake_puig Producer

Thanks for your answers! It's time to make some research! ;)

10. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

if it the "swoosh" sound that starts at 0:06 that you're talking about that can be done with pretty much anything but in this case it's the prophet 5 making that sound

11. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Kraftwerk invented Techno

12. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Erm, no.

13. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Not just techno but electro as well. I mean how the techno scene developed such as Juan Atkins and company.

14. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Name one band that was 100% electro and used only synths, Drum machines and homemade Vox boxes based vocals in their music before 197O? They literally invented the vocorder by circuit bending some of their equipment. Not to trying to call u out but you're gonnna have to dig real deep and show me otherwise

15. PumasNFatLaces

PumasNFatLaces Ultrasonic

Everyone is right on this. Kraftwerk as well as P-Funk the B-52's Prince played as influences to the city that's credited as the birthplace of Techno. I believe Juan Atkins was the first to use that term to describe the music they (the Belleville 3) were making. And from its' roots techno shares the House music sound of Chicago, with more emphasis on electronica sounds and samples, where as Chicago house is more gospel feeling mixed with disco rhythms.

P.S. Acid House was a clear fusion of the techno and house sounds done with expertise....hints to DJ Pierre and his PFantasy Club.

16. PumasNFatLaces

Kraftwerk was actually mixed with early house on the radio and we all thought it was Marshall Jefferson making the music, because he thought outside of the box. Marshall is the first to actually use pianos to house music. Back to topic, Kraftwerk had a hand in techno being spawned. Cybotron, Juan Atkins or another alias Model 500 made that techno song "No UFOs" and that song from the mid 80's paid him nicely from Ford Motor Co. with a six figure sum, talk about placement.

This is early Cybotron...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9hXdoDacsM

And this is a documentary of techno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsSMnnJ_YgI

17. PumasNFatLaces

Catalyst did you peep the video? Eddie Fowlkes said they didn't use samplers buuuuuut, didn't juan atkins sample Kraftwerk early in his career? I might be wrong.

18. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Techno is not defined by the instruments used. It's a specific composition, arrangement (or lack of), the monotony/repetition. The instruments are ways and means but not ends in themselves. If techno was only about instruments, electro, Elektropop, EBM or synthpop were summed up as techno and bands like Spandau Ballet and Depeche mode were techno acts. It's just not correct.

Kraftwerk were pioneers of commercially successful electronic music: elektropop. Yes, they were innnovative, and they soldered their instruments often themselves. If you want to know more about their process and technical approach I recommend to you the book "I was a robot" by Wolfgang Flür, Kraftwerk's Drummer from 1973-1986. Very informative and a very rare and valuable insight.
    But they did not invent Techno. Techno might not have emerged without them, but the same applies with Oskar Sala, Karlheinz Stockhausen and Friedrich Trautwein.
    Kraftwerk did not invent the vocoder. The vocoder was invented before WWII, and Bob Moog was the first one to build vocoders for musical purposes.

To sum up: Kraftwerk did not invent techno, they were a major influence.