Customer dissatisfaction

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Aliens, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Aliens

Aliens Guest

Had an uncomfortable moment in my local music store today. I went in to buy a new set of cheapo headphones to use for monitoring during recording and mp3 playback of my mixes on my phone.
    As my ears are old and shot I wouldn't waste money on expensive cans and I honestly wouldn't be able to make sense of the clarity extra dollars bring.

I have happily been using Behringer Hmp1000 for a few years, but wear and tear were taking their toll so I thought a new pair or upgrade were merited. Feeling a bit flush, I thought I'd splash out and get a set of a more expensive model and after a bit of web searching, found an over the ear type Behringers for the whopping price of NZ$66. Bought them in store, took them home, found they were made cheap as shit and sat on my ear not anywhere near over it.

I took them back less than 30 minutes after purchase, explained the reason for wanting to return the item, and said I'd like to swap them for another pair of the the ones I had at home which only cost NZ$29.
    As an existing customer, I then had to spend the next 20 minutes convincing the staff to refund the difference instead of giving me store credit. It's been a while since I've been so frustrated with petty minded jobsworths, but these guys did great, and all for giving me back 30 quid.

Apparently head office didn't like it, doing refunds, but as they found out, I didn't like it more.
    I have no compulsion to buy local again. Internet gets my money from now on, even if it is just 30 bucks for a shitty pair of the best sounding cheap cans you'll ever buy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. You spent your money and was not satisfied with the product. You came back within the hour and the shitty cans were in perfect condition. What's to argue? They should just give you your money back with no further questions asked. Now, not only did they waste your time, but you will most probably never spend another cent in the store, and nor will I if I ever come to New Zealand. I can't stand silly things like that. A store credit only returns policy is a no way to keep a customer happy, it feels as if you are being used as a tool. Harmonicas, underwear and used condoms are like the only things I might agree on that should not be returnable, even for store credit.

4. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Unfortunately this is far to be an isolated case, and not only in the musical products field.

5. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

That's why a lot of people buy online today. The shops are managed like castles under siege and their workers have to say 'NO' every time you ask for what is right. Seldom you meet shop workers smart enough to understand what could be the consequences of losing customers.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  6. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Same as in the USA, for the most part. In retail stores, no one is sure of "the rules," or what company policy really is, or company policy is ambiguous or contradictory, or managers and underlings will contradict each other, or managers will cover for underlings' mistakes (or vice-versa) to save face and seem "right," or whatever else comes with calling you "Sir" while talking-down to you. That's why, when I want music or audio gear, I hit the Musician's Friend site and look for it. Even the "open-box" (returned or demo items) are covered by the no-questions asked/hey-no-problem return/refund guarantee. Paying for return shipping is the only inconvenience, but not having had to pay for shipping of an item that had taken only two or three days to reach me makes it worth it. This goes for Adorama (camera store) in NYC – call Customer Service with a problem, and they make the problem vanish; similar expeditious expedition. Low prices may get customers in the door, but good customer service keeps 'em comin' back for more.

7. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Shit I avoid local just for the sales tax. You throw in having to deal with people? Oh wait, you mean the kind of people who work at retail jobs after their teens? Oh hell no. See you never.

8. Aliens

Aliens Guest

Apparently someone had ripped them off before so head office decreed one ruins it for the many, which is just nonsense in this case. How can they be ripped off by me exchanging for something else? I bet if I wanted a more expensive set of phones they wouldn't have said no.
    And even so, it's only nz$36 they're refunding, from an electronic transaction. It's not like I bought with a dodgy credit card for a system 8 and wanted the difference paid in cash for a kazoo.

Unless I'm desperate I won't shop there again. :like: