Custom monolithic sample programs?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by fiction, Jun 11, 2014.

1. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Hi everybody,

in the process of re-building and modifying my existing Kontakt programs and multis, I have tried to save some banks in Kontakt's "monolith" format, but failed big time. They may work as long as only a few samples are involved, but as soon as we're talking a few thousand samples per program or multi, even on a fast machine with an SSD drive, they are totally unusable: Huge loading times, and even "memorial minutes" before they even start to load.
    As this is never the case with commercial libraries (with nks or nkx containers encoded by N.I.), I wonder how we could create such at our very homes.
    What I have found so far is that most Kontakt users have just given up on this subject and save thousands of individual files to their hard drives, but there must be a better way to do it, right?
    I'd be happy even with an officially unsupported hack if I could only create monolithic sample containers that actually work as promised by N.I.

Any ideas are welcome!

3. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

maybe...... but the only issue right now is trying to get compressed ncw files into nkx's? This could be done easily with wav's but only a few knob heads knows the trick. There is software that you already have i bet that can do it :bow:

Note:
    From the Kontakt Developer Guide PDF

1.3.2 Instruments, Multis, and Samples Folders

Within these folders you can use any subfolder structure you want to organize your library.All Subfolders may contain subfolders and sub-subfolders etc. but too many subfolders many slow down the loading process of instruments or multis.For the Samples folder you MUST use subfolders. Each subfolder should have around a maximum of 1000 files or else browser refresh and folder opening times might be affected adversely.Keep in mind that the KONTAKT PLAYER Load menus mirror the folder structure you choose.

Subfolder “Instruments” ▪
    ▪Subfolder A (containing all instrument files “*.nki”)▪
    ▪Subfolder B (containing all instrument files “*.nki”)▪ ▪etc.•
    •Subfolder “Multis”▪
    ▪Subfolder A (containing all multi files “*.nkm”)•
    •Subfolder “Samples” (containing all subfolders with samples)▪
    ▪Subfolder Samples a▪
    ▪Subfolder Samples b▪
    ▪Subfolder Samples c ▪
    ▪etc.

Note that it is possible to encode each top level subfolder individually. The advantage is that each subfolder gets its own monolith container. For example, if your library contains bass, guitar and drum instruments, you could organize your sample subfolders into three categories, i.e. Bass Samples, Guitar Samples, and Drums Samples respectively.

4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

I've read the Developer Guide before, but the guide also says that only NI can encode nkx.

Exactly!
    I'd consider myself rather experienced with all sorts of little tools, but I don't have a clue how to move forward in this case :dunno: