Cupid and Psyche 85 - The Unspoken Influence of Scritti Politti

Discussion in 'Conversations About Good Music' started by Zenarcist, Jul 22, 2016.

1. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

This very album, got me going. It remains to be a huge inspiration and still looms in my top 5 of all time albums. Arifs' the man.
    Great post!@
    @Beth , yes you can get it for your iPad. And I'm not kidding: here. I own a mod II and I almost fainted when CMI released that app. :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  2. Beth

Beth Guest

@artwerkski thanks ! (i just need an ipad then first lol)

3. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

Scritti's early stuff wasn't even sequenced, it was more or less all played (apart from drum machines, but even then they had a mixture of played/real and programmed drum parts). One of Dave Gamson's techniques was to play to tape at half speed / pitch, so when it was played back at normal speed, the timing errors got smaller and the parts even tighter.

The later "Provision" album was more Synclavier, in terms of sequencing and sampling. I don't think they ever were big Fairlight users or fans.

4. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

@dkny, partially. There's a lot, alot of Fairlight on C&S.

5. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

Would you believe, as soon as I saw this in the feed, I knew who posted it? :bleh:

SP, been a looong time since I heard mention of these guys, I shall have to dive into my ( multiple ) vinyl bins
    to see if I still have this, if ever.. ahhh 80's gold..

this one gives me chills, from the dawn of the 80's ...but what they became.. eh

@WolwerineBlues if you like chill, I suspect you will like this, chill.. with a bit of an edge

politicians argue, sharpening their knives, drawing up their bargains, trading baby lives​

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2016
  6. artcrime

artcrime Member

David & Fred from memory.

7. Ultram

Ultram Kapellmeister

Love this thread grew up in the 80's so right at home.

8. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

9. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Having knowledge of the past is the key to inventing the future, the past is where everything that is new comes from :bleh:

And it's none more true than in the field of music. Every budding modern musician should be scouring the past for clues, hence the reason why I post threads like this.

:winker:

PS UB40 were great in the beginning but soon became a parody of themselves, as they released one cover version after another.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016