Cubase VST32 v5

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by futile, Mar 12, 2024.

1. futile

futile Newbie

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask for this.
    I am looking for Cubase VST32 v5 and possibly some other Steinberg vsts from that era. I am putting together a system that will run this software.

Has anyone been able to run this version of Cubase and plugins from this era on Windows 10/11?

Cubase.VST.v5.0R1.fix.only
    Steinberg.Cubase.VST32.v5.0R1.Addons
    Steinberg.Cubase.VST32.v5.0R1.Working

I found this thread with a fantastic list of all releases. Not sure if a repository was ever created.

https://audiosex.pro/threads/h2o-releases-archive.31016/

It would be great to access and explore some of these vintage software.

Thank you for your time.

3. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

TBH, there is nothing I miss about those Cubase VST 32bit versions... That was still back from the days when I actually bought this stuff, hence I have a licence and a box of crap for it around somewhere that hasn't been looked at in 20 years or so.... Cubase VST was a PITA (as they all were, not just steiny) back in the day and that most assuredly has not changed with age. The PCA in both win10 and 11 will most likely prevent you from even getting past the install for any of those. The only thing I could say at this point, if you simply must have it and really want a true "authentic" experience of the time, would be to fetch out some of that old hardware from the attic or basement, dust it off, throw win98 or XP on it, and realize once again how crappy it really was...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
  4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

how about using the H20 versions?
    i think they did 2.0 something and of course 3.11. those are a bit later, but still should work fine for most 32bit plugins.

5. stopped

stopped Producer

I don't remember there ever being a working release of those versions, I'd be very surprised if they're real/work

6. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

It might be useful in a way: https://o.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads/

or this (the very old link, it can’t be opened on my mobile):
    ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/

AFAIR I could install and use VST 32 5.1 r1 or so and create portable version in Windows 7 but it stopped working in W 10. I’ve still got the installers. I could open my old Atari projects… ehh…

Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
  7. clone

clone Audiosexual

I think I would start with the Air v5.1 from 3.9gb dvd source, then update and fixes to whatever. Most of these releases being mentioned are all much smaller sizes. The most widely available version is usually the one to get.

8. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

I've still got some Pentium 3/5 systems (ISA/VLbus) sitting in a pile somewhere... Complete with turtle beach/SB AWE 32 audio cards - that would be what would run that stuff...

9. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

There were multiple versions. I don't remember an Air or H2O release but that was a long time ago. I think Radium did a 5.0 that was really flaky, and around that time is when the other teams started to really show themselves and they got 5.0 done proper. I used Zone's 5.1 releases because I wasn't working and couldn't afford to update VST24 to VST32 at the time. That shit worked as perfect as a retail version did..

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
  10. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

A very old friend of mine (literally) had this problem, said he was too old to learn the newer versions of Cubase...
    In the end, the only way i could get it running properly on his PC was to install windows 7 in a dual-boot setup and run VST32 inside that.

11. 8bits

8bits Producer

I still use it because the midi sequencer for my studio desk number 4 where i do most of synth design with vintage hardware, nothing more then midi and librarians for vintage synths. Audio in old pcs makes no sense at all.

12. futile

futile Newbie

Hi guys, thanks for all your input. I was able to find the versions I was looking for on the web.

I totally get what you are saying. This is just a nostalgia exercise. All of it, even putting together a period accurate PC is pure madness but I am having loads of fun doing it. I want to experience again what it was like.
    There are many people I see around actively still using on a daily basis these types of systems for different reasons. The interesting thing for me is that they still make tracks without issue and not only that, they have no intention of upgrading or changing it.
    I also want to explore vsts from that era that might not be around today that could make great sounds.

Regarding the legacy/vintage software, I think a repository should be put in place to preserve all of it.

13. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

This software isn't gone, as you have found it's still out there and easily attainable. There's whole cds of it even at the Internet Archive.

Back then, unless you were a rich ProTools user with an expensive TDM system that did all the work for you, we were all waiting for what we have today (and even still, some people aren't happy with it).. I wouldn't trade my Cubase 13 license to go back to VST32 if Steinberg paid me.

14. form1

form1 Newbie

I have Cubase_VST_5.1r1_all_full_installer and 'cubase vst32 5.1 crack' on one of my period systems, I don't use it but I think it installed. It would make more sense to try to run this kind of software on an XP VM and forward your interfaces directly to the VM, than try to run it in Windows 10/11.