Cubase vs Reaper

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Atlantis84, Dec 21, 2021.

?

Cubase vs Reaper

1. I prefer Cubase

85 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. I prefer Reaper

94 vote(s)
    52.5%
  1. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

yes, and all the real recording studios on the planet are full of untrained clumsy morons because they stubbornly insist on using pro tools, if they only knew that the truth lies in the pages of these posts they would mark their backs with ox peaks amd then would switch to reaper in the blink of an eye

2. DJMani

DJMani Ultrasonic

Well I agree

I put daws in 2 groups

#1 Toys, Simplistic, Easy
    Ableton
    Bitwig
    Fruity Loops
    Reason
    "Modular daw"
    etc...

#2 Professional, Deep
    Cubase
    Sonar
    Performer
    ProTools
    etc..

Reaper is the odd one only because of the freedom.
    it sits on the fence.

Studio One, I totally disregard.
    It's nothing impressive, Nothing innovative.
    Not worth wasting time on, given the other options.

Years back Ableton was called at Toy and it was frowned at for being used.

Fruity Loops same as Ableton but
    had to change its name to try to gain respect as a "real daw"

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  3. arbuckle

arbuckle Ultrasonic

Curious how many of the people stating that REAPER isn't that good for midi have made the tweaks and installed the scripts that imo make it unbeatable. OOTB I'd agree it's not set up with electronic music but try e.g. js multitool (I have it mapped to a spare button on my gaming mouse.) Set up the midi editor to sync with the arrange view, and pass through keyboard shortcuts. Install adaptive grid. MPLs interactive toolbar has replaced my transport, and is modelled on cubase. I use that along with Hedas Track Inspector. The Drivenbymoss extension allows you to use your push, komplete kontrol, akai and many other controllers in a super slick and powerful way. Retrospective record is another free script that should probably be native but runs so flawlessly and unobtrusively it might as well be.
    It took a long time to figure everything out and set it up the way I liked it but now I couldn't imagine going back to another DAW.
    Reaper is really for people who don't mind putting in the initial work to learn and set this stuff up though. And obv it doesn't come with instruments - and the effects, while powerful, have a stubbornly basic gui.if you prefer to use third party plugins though then this isn't a point in favour of cubase. In fact I have Steinberg Groove Agent and instances of Backbone set up as my default 'drum rack' template. That's with HY-RPE in the same track - great sequencer and unlike most daws, in reaper you can pass midi thru without having to set up sends between different tracks, so it's really easy to make something like Scaler, or Cthulhu or HY an inline midi FX on any track.

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  4. birdboi

birdboi Producer

This is what makes REAPER so special, the way you can customize it is unlike ANY other DAW in the market. When we say you can customize REAPER, you really can go all out. Sure it might take a while to get everything set up, but once you do, its perfect for your needs of music making. :)

Fun Fact: you can even make your own toolbars to get easy access to crucial things you might need when making music!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. rohit_shetty

rohit_shetty Member

I love Cubase.! It's my choice!
    But I will not say Reaper is bad!
    Every DAW has its own speciality.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Which has a lot to do with the periphery used in studios, but nothing to do with the sound.

7. duskwings

true, that s why serious recording studios use pro tools rather than agruing about other daws on audiosex like the real professionals do

8. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

"Real studios" use the software they started with (which was mostly Pro Tools 30 years ago) and with which the entire system periphery is tuned. Whatever software that may be. Never change a running system. That's what "real studios" do. ;)

Anyway... Merry christmas!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  9. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

^ this

10. duskwings

I give up, if someone s reading fucking ban me,i don t give a shit

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Happy to help
    @No Avenger ! Noaaaaaaa! Ban him pls :rofl:

12. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

Reaper tracks is versatile it can be audio or midi now that part is what i love about Reaper

13. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

Weird thread. The real question is which one fits your workflow and gives you the options you need.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

This thread was sponsored by Steinberg Cubase.
    This thread was sponsored by Cockos Reaper.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. ih8ms

ih8ms Ultrasonic

What the best DAW is a very subjective topic.

First of all, see what most people use to overview what is out there. Secondly, test them all out to see which DAW fits your wanted workflow and how it responds to your usage.

Coming from FastTracker 2 in the early 90s, every DAW is epic compared to the complex workflow of FT2 :p I bought hardware, used Cubase SX, and later tried Ableton and loved that for the looping/sample workflow to recreate the loved hip-hop anthems. However, the workflow didn't sit right with me, and after many years of no producing, I started again and went for Cubase 10.

Today I'm a happy Cubase 12 user. Something about that workflow sits right and feels like you're home. For me, C12 is the ultimate DAW. On another note, Cubase must fix some bugs, like when closing a workflow, it will often freeze, and you must force closed it (this also happens with a fresh install).

Every DAW has negative and positive parts; go with what suits you the best, and don't go looking for a greener hill. Another DAW will, in 99% of all cases, not produce better music; that sits in your head.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. dr_after

dr_after Kapellmeister

As many said: it all comes to personal preferences. I have used Cubase (and Nuendo) for many years and I liked it. But six years ago I switched to Reaper. And whoaaa, it is the whole new universe! So much more powerful!
    - MIDI? It has everything I need and if it is not in stock I just install the script and can make the most sophisticated things with my MIDI notes
    - Routing? Folder system, bus system, drag and drop sends and returns, routing matrix, it's insanely powerful and easy to use
    - Grouping, marking, regions, exporting, meters, VCA groups - all top notch and working flawlessly
    - Automation, parameter modulation, possibility to turn your ordinary equalizer into dynamic compressor, riding any plugin parameter with sine, square or triangle waves, automation items = easy copy and paste automation anywhere you want, flexibility is the king
    - Customization - I decide either I want make something with a keyboard stroke, mouse click, menu item, toolbar button... I can put any command under any input and that's beautiful. Reaper says: "user's way is the best way".
    - Lightweight, with great backup system and projects are easy to reccover even after the most harmful crashes, because they are written in plain text and are easily editable.
    - Works without problems with my control surface (X-touch)

I don't think I will leave Reaper ever. It is a swiss knife of DAWs, it evolves very fast and scripts are taking it to the another level.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

You can even do both in a single track, one after the other.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

Pentium D is so old that even events from WW2 look fresh in comparison.

19. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

Toasters, although not as Toasty as the Pentium4's.. :guru:

I still got PTSD from the P4 era,
    Sluggish and Hot-ass CPUs that idled at 85-90ºC, burning one mobo after the other.. :yes:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Taos

Taos Noisemaker

I guess you are a Happy Cubase 12 user since it's not even out yet :hillbilly: