Cubase Upgrade summer special -40% until Aug.15th

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by Jazz-N-Stuff, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Yes,its a mixed bag the 8.5.I have almost zero issues with it,though have read some horrible stories from some users on the official forum.
    Also the cpu handling should be optimized,seems it has some issues with multi core systems.
    Reaper has schooled Steinberg in that department.
    I bet its the Steinberg protection messing up with the resources,Reaper is free of it.
    But then again,if you try S1 you see Steinberg is still way ahead many daws in that department.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2016
  2. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

3. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Yeah, it all works out to about the same thing though. $20 for LE and $270 to upgrade, or $150 for Artist and $150 to upgrade... Which is about $200 more than I can comfortably spend right now without compromising bills/necessities. The upside and downside of being part of a small business - payroll is pretty fluid.

Out of curiosity - how does VariAudio compare sonically to stuff like melodyne, autotune, WavesTune (or whatever its called)? I tried Cubase 5 very briefly when I was just starting to produce. I was a little overwhelmed by it at the time and quickly took up S1, and then discovered Live later on. But my point is I thought VariAudio was a really sweet feature

4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I see.
    I wouldnt know, i use T-Pain,lol,jk.

I really havent used Vari Audio much,neither Melodyne so others might help you here.
    Though comparing 5er to 8 its a huge difference.
    Download elements from V.R and test it,you get a feel for it,though many features from Artist or PRO are missing,but you can see in which direction Steinberg went so you can decide easier.

5. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I think it is the copy protection also. I also think it's frequent calls to the dongle. I hear s1 is horrific. I will stay away from that also. LOL.
    I really do not know if Reaper has schooled Steinberg in the optimization department, but they could learn a few things from them about it.
    Is reaper perfect, no but no DAW is.

I can say, I really used to love Cubase 5, really did. So much after the extended trail, ( I hope you get the drift here ) I purchased 7.0.
    But every Nickel and Dime upgrade after has not made me a fan any more. To me It's performance is not worth the money I paid.
    That is my opinion.

6. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@Cav Emp yeah I just got propagandized too.. snagged it for $269.99
    I guess it was time to find what all the hoopla is about.. oh and, it's all your fault @Von_Steyr :yes:

sure you don't have a cc with some limit left on it Cav? :bleh:

by the way, does anyone know if @Jazz-N-Stuff is a Steinberg operative ? :winker:

7. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Congrats bro,you`re part of the family now :)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I hear you.
    I guess you could now severely demo other daws now and find the one that suits you better and sell it.
    You might also find out that the grass is not always greener on the other side,with that i mean you will gain certain functions and lose others,thats always the case with daws,a perfect one doesnt exist :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2016
  9. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@Von_Steyr as you mentioned there.. for the price of its products, and its reputation Steinberg should be making this
    the most seamless DAW to use.. but (like protools) must have the e-licenser dingus dongle hangin' out of my computer
    with its big red EYE.. sheesh... this will not make it more fun to use.. nor to like... but I'm ready to make the effort..

An/other reason(s) I can't admire Reaper enough, constant updates,
    easy for the user to operate, and unbeatable price to quality ratio..

I am trying Cubase.. but my heart is still with Reaper..

reaper love.jpg

10. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I hear you.
    Take your time bro :)

11. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

@Herr Durr , give it some time... I think you'll come to appreciate just why Cubase users rave so much about it :) It's been my main DAW since 2002 and although not without its ups or downs, its still the best DAW Ive ever used, especially if you're integrating hardware with your workflow.

12. ddoctor

ddoctor Kapellmeister

No, it shouldn't be the dongle calls - they happen in the least crucial situations, like when you stop recording or disarm a track - something like that. The truth is Elements version doesn't use dongles and it has more than a real musician would ever need for recording real music, even if it's orchestral; 64 midi tracks with 16 VST instrument slots plus 24 instrument tracks and 48 audio tracks? If anyone dares let them show us all such a project made in reality that uses or needs more than that?!

13. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

14. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

For a musician it might be actually enough.
    For a song writer,composer,producer,mix engineer,hardly.
    Havent made a project with less than 100 tracks in ages.

15. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

well this sucks... they make you eat 9.4 GB whole..wtf? I have a fast connection.. but that much at a rip is ridiculous..
    and the files won't resume either...so now I am trying Steinberg's legendary customer service to see if they will
    provide me some resumable ftp links or wot.....

16. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

You're right. Spending all your extra money on music is for scrubs. You're not a real artist until you're spending money you don't even have yet to get software :rofl:

17. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I pulled the trigger and purchased reaper now.

Yes I have to admit, , my heart went to Reaper. Cubase lost me as a valid customer. The one that really pissed me of was the upgrade that improved CPU load performance that should have been free to all users, but instead they decided to charge for it.
    I went thought this with Yamaha gear also and we all know Yamaha bought Steinberg.

So if you think things will get better I do not believe so. It's not the current mind set of Yamaha business practices.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I think you can not go wrong with Reaper.
    Why force yourself with something it it doesnt suit you,different strokes for different folks :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Jazz-N-Stuff

Jazz-N-Stuff Platinum Record

i have no relationship with Steinberg @HerrDurr, if you knew how i am pissed abt about a dongleproblem.
    But i am using Cubase for a long time with several years interruption. After 5.5 i didnt upgrade and restarted with 7.5. Its a hobby for me.

20. FerdinandIIIDeMedicis

FerdinandIIIDeMedicis Kapellmeister

I love Cubase but Steinberg are greedy assholes with their updates.