Cubase Pro 8 Educational Version

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by Army of Ninjas, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

I have the opportunity to buy a new copy of the Cubase Pro 8 educational edition for a VERY, VERY good price. I was just wondering if anyone here knows what the activation process entails for this particular version. I'm not actually a music student, but can get a copy of this in my hands. What I want to know, is if I have to send Steinberg a school name or anything before I can activate. Usually, you get the activation code from the box and use it to get your elicenser auth. Is there any difference in how activation works between the normal and educational version of the product? Thanks in advance!

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You just have to proove that you are a student of some kind (not a MUSIC student). Name of school, course/degree, student number, etc. That way you will be approved the EDU version.
    Or so I've been told.

4. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Serial could be attached to the very copy you have in your hand! Not that I know anything about it ..... just a suggestion!
    But frankly........ I doubt there will be any issiues, besides if you try to sell it of cause!

5. Bandit

Bandit Producer

Back in the day I was a student and had to show I was a student. It was only for buying Cubase dirt cheap. After I was approved I received the dongle & activation code. This was Cubase 5 education. I am now on Cubase 7.5, upgraded ever since without any problems. Unless they changed it, the 'discount' is just on the initial purchase, because you are student (and poor I guess). Eveything else is the same, also the activation.

6. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

usually its a .edu (or another email from an institution) and a copy of your student ID card.

7. faunus

faunus Ultrasonic

im a student also but not in music , can i buy cubase pro 8 education ?

8. exr777

exr777 Producer

Hi!
    I bought Cubase 7.0 EDU Version.
    I'm not a Student, but I work as a teacher in a music school.
    The only thing you need is to give the prove to the seller.
    The activation problem is not an issue after you have the Cubase in your hands.

9. zoltrano

zoltrano Newbie

Hi,
    I bought a cubase 7.5 EDU version some months ago, unfortunately I couldn't use the 30 days trial before the activation so I couldn't benefit from the grace period for Cubase 8 Pro, so I had pay for the upgrade.
    There are mainly 2 way to buy the EDU version; directly from Steinberg shop or from a retailer
    In any way, you have to provide some proof that you are a student. In my case it was easier (and cheaper) to buy from a retailer, because it involved a more simple process. You can only buy after that everything is verified.
    The activation is exactly the same in both the EDU or full versions. You get the box and a activation code.
    Install the elicenser software and use the activation code provided to install the license in the dongle in a computer with a internet connection (doesn't need to be the one you will run the cubase for the activation process).

The only main diference is that in your elicenser you Cubase license will say EDU and you cannot upgrade a EDU version at discount.

I've had Cubase 7.5 EDU, and after the 8 Pro version was released I've bought the normal upgrade and now I have the normal Cubase 8 Pro version.

Hope that this clarifies.

10. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

if your referring to eBay or similar site ! YES you have to prove your a student or teacher with legit ID otherwise they won't sell to you if you can purchase it? after that your all set ' as far as activation /Dongle Ect......

11. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I think the upgrade prices are different for the educational version versus the retail version.

12. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Awesome! It sounds like you (extremely helpful) guys told me what I needed to know. Thanks! :mates:

13. oli9421

oli9421 Newbie

There's a lot of people saying different things.

If you buy directly from the Steinberg website, you have to send proof to Steinberg.

If you buy from a separate retailer, you have to send proof to the retailer, not Steinberg.

(The site I bought C7 Edu from (Gak) never actually asked for proof though :) )

14. savadious

savadious Ultrasonic

#1 I purchased Cubase 3 EDUCATIONAL version when I was a [law] student.

#2 when Cubase 4-8 was released I purchased the UPGRADE

#3 EDU and RETAIL versions are 100% identical... the moment you apply the NEXT UPGRADE it is 100% RETAIL and you can rest in peace... :wow:

umm...

that didnt come out right,... but U get the idea !

15. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

So you just enter your name & address and paid no school e-mail address?
    I have heard that you must have a school e-mail before you can buy and that counts as "proof"

16. oli9421

oli9421 Newbie

Well I was just lucky I think, but if you buy it from a retailer, Steinberg have nothing to do with whether you're a student or not. It's up to the retailer to find out before they sell you it. What I think is that a lot of retailers probably don't care too much. It's money for them after all.

17. Bandit

Bandit Producer

You are correct! Same experience for me.

18. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

So what is your experience with cubase 8?
    The steinberg forum users report a lot of crashes ?

19. Hayk1976

Hayk1976 Newbie

Hi.
    I'd like to buy a Cubase Pro 8 EDU from USA and register it from Armenia.
    Have anyone an experience to register and use this soft bought from USA in other country?
    Thanks!

20. Guillermo Navarrete

Guillermo Navarrete Kapellmeister

Hello,

Yes, you don't need to be a music student.

Best regards,
    GN

21. Callaghan

Callaghan Member

What he said ^^^ I purchased Cubase Artist 8 Edu new off eBay UK, no proof required. I used it for a while, never registered it and sold it (cos I'm poor) for pretty much what I paid for it, with no issue or comeback from anyone.