Cubase Pro 8 Crossgrade from Pro Tools

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by Guillermo Navarrete, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Guillermo Navarrete

Guillermo Navarrete Kapellmeister

Hello all,

From today on until November 30, 2015, we are offering a Cubase Pro 8 Crossgrade from Pro Tools®, available from participating Steinberg resellers!

If you have a Pro Tools HD/HDX 7/8/9/10/11/12 or Pro Tools Native 9/10/11/12 license, you’re eligible to crossgrade to Cubase Pro 8 or Cubase Pro 8 Education*. Find out if your local dealer is taking part in this promotion, and if so, download and complete the claim form, attach a copy of your Pro Tools license card or purchase invoice, including your name or your company’s name, and show this at the store to get your crossgrade.

For more information >

* Crossgrade to Cubase Pro 8 Education for teaching staff, educational institutions and students

Best regards,
    GN

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. wouala woualouf

wouala woualouf Platinum Record

i wish there were more upgrade plans, to get steinberg products.
    eg: i'm highly interested in getting Motu mach5 v3.2, because, as a halion 5 owner, i can have a big nice price reduction, almost impossible to resist.

For Steinberg, from a business standpoint, is it better to make 0 sales(cubase, halion, etc), with people that use other products/brands, and don't own any Steinberg product, or
    is it better to make a nice price reduction, even 30-35%, and make some extra sales, from those guys who would never get a steinberg product, but because of the upgrade reduction, they will acquire a cubase, nuendo, halion license, and even with a 35% reduction, that would make some nice extra cash.

am i too stupid and innocent, because i would rather sell something cheaper, but still sell it, than keeping a certain price tag, and making 0 sales ?

also, as an owner of several Steinberg products, i wish i could benefit from several cool offers:
    - if i own cubase, vst collection, halion 5, groove agent 4,

i wish Steinberg could make a system, where, for each product bought, we get some points:
    - nuendo makes 15 points
    - cubase 8 makes 10 points
    - halion 5 makes 10 points
    - groove agent 4 makes 5 points
    - vst collection makes 5 points
    - wavelab 8.5 makes 10 points

because i own cubase, halion, ga4 and vst collection,
    that would make 10+10+5+5 = 30 points

30 points = 30% discount available on the remaining online catalog.

i wish i could buy Wavelab 8.5. but i don't have all the money to buy it, as it is quite expensive.
    but with my 30%, as a average/normal/good/very good/excellent--> customer,
    as i own several products, i think i could consider myself a VERY GOOD customer,
    Steinberg would offer me 30% discount, and for sure, i would buy Wavelab (full version), because
    - i would appreciate the fact that Steinberg have/treat me as a very good and valuable customer
    - i would happily use my 30% reduction to purchase Wavelab.

and after buying wavelab, i would have a total of 40 points/40% off,
    and i would use those 40% to buy a Retrologue soundbank, and why not, the portico plugins.

who would be the winner with this ? me, because i could buy some new products at a lower price, and
    Steinberg, because they would be able to sell me a wavelab license, with 30% off, but it's better, selling wavelab with 30% off, than not selling it at all, because, at full price, i will probably NEVER buy a wavelab license. NEVER.

The question is, will M. Guillermo talk about this idea to other staff members, or
    no, because it's a really stupid idea, and, as a german company, they would never consider any idea from outside, as they do know exactly what to do and what is better for the company-customers, and would even feel offended, because someone has dared giving an idea that would change a perfect existing model.
    in advance, my apologies.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  4. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I don't mean to be a party pooper, but I feel compelled to ask: Why would a PT user want to get into Cubase? Please, don't get me wrong. I know people are very biased about the DAW they love, but let me make my point.

Back in '07 I was getting started in audio production and I first had PT MPowered 7.4 along with a Fast Track. Later the same year I got a Tascam interface and it came with Cubase AI3 or AI4 maybe, I can't recall. I tried hard to learn the ropes, but I couldn't dig that version of Cubase. I got more inclined to using PT. Years have passed, and now I own PT11.

My real question is, from a cross grading standpoint, what's there to make the transition viable for a non-Cubase user like myself? I apologize in advance. I don't mean to raise a DAW wars. It is a genuine question.

Peace to you all.

5. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

You are definitely not stupid, but you may have missed a important accountants gesture, that is 'nobody who has 0 sales stays open for 30 plus years.'
    :wink:

6. Manta

Manta Member

I think you are close to answer your own question, I belief there are guys that have both experienced PT and Cubase (Like me), and have an other experience than you with Cubase but after a (foolish) purchase of PT don't have the ability to purchase Cubase instead.
    imo Cubase Pro is nothing alike the AI version. ;-)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. wouala woualouf

with 0 sales, i mean all the guys that could have bought a steinberg app, like wavelab, but because of the price, never will.
    i bought groove agent 4 ONLY because it was only around 89$, instead of 2x more. otherwise, i would never buy it.

the same with halion 5. only because there was a big price cut, for those who had bought the vst collection, i was able to buy it and save like 35%. again, i would never pay full price for it.

i would love to have wavelab running next to cubase, for a seamless interaction, sample edition, etc.
    but as long as wavelab costs +500 euros, even until 2020, there is now way i will buy it.
    the crazy thing is, a digital version should always cost less than a music store: i don't think Asknet takes 100euros for each sale...
    but again, companies manage to sell products online at a superior price than at a retailer(and the ton of costs involved, stock, import, transport, taxes, etc).

that's why i wrote the big comment above.
    i would like to ask Steinberg and have an answer from the boss:

do you prefer not selling me wavelab at all, and making 0 euros with my purchase, or
    you prefer cutting the price, and "only" making 70% of the full price ?

about the 30 years... well, Yamaha bought Steinberg, afaik...
    which is really a shame, specially in Germany, where most companies are really successful.

with a market with millions of musicians, and probably several hundreds thousands guys-girls using DAW's (i remember seeing, like 2 years ago, an online sample company, they had a campaign for raising funds for a particular disease, people could pay a min 75$ for it, in just a few days, there were around 70'000 sales at +75$.... which mean THERE REALLY ARE TONS of people making music, buying hardware-software, including the main tool: DAW ).

for sure, the economic model at Steinberg, by that time, wasn't really great.. or were they doing great, and Yamaha invested on them ?
    i feel like it's the former option...

when a company prefers making 0 sales, and keeping high prices, instead of lowering the prices, and have some great sales... what can we do...
    i remember paying around 1000 euros for cubase SX1 ... yeah, by those times, there was no pity. maybe that giant price made tons of people move from cubase to other daws.. ?

8. Guillermo Navarrete

Guillermo Navarrete Kapellmeister

Hello,

We do have some price reductions and special offers now and then, perhaps you should subscribe to our newsletter. We do not openly discuss pricing and sale strategies, we do appreciate your business and we thank you for choosing Cubase and other Steinberg products.

You could have it to complement your production studio, there are many features in Cubase that are Cubase only, and once you try them you don't want to go back, here are some examples, in Cubase:

- Audio files that have a different sampling rate or bit rate from the project settings can be used without conversion. Crossfading and other operations can be performed without rendering.
    - The maximum number of audio tracks is limited largely by computer performance.
    - The maximum number of recording tracks is limited only by computer performance and the audio interface used.
    - During Audio Mixdown loudness can be automatically adjusted to a value preset by the user.
    - Shortcut keys can be freely assigned. The ability to assign appropriate shortcuts for different processes allows easy access to essential commands while unnecessary shortcuts can be disabled. It is also possible to assign shortcuts for macros, and shortcuts to switch shortcuts.
    - Macros can be created.
    - An Offline Process History makes revisions easy.
    - The Freeze Track feature makes efficient use of available CPU power.
    - Media Bay makes it easy to search for data across Local and NAS storage, etc.

And those are the ones that I have on top of my head.

Best regards,
    GN

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. wouala woualouf

i 'm a subscriber, unfortunately, i receive it in a language i don't understand at all. and i don't want to submit my personal data, name, email address, etc, (embedded in the newsletter),to google, via their google translate website, by doing a copy/paste of the newsletter, each time i receive it.

just imagine you buy a product, and you receive a newsletter in chinese or pundjabi. and then, you report your problem to the support, they open a support ticket for you, and they answer they CAN'T do nothing for your case:
    when it could easily be done in 10 seconds : going to the newsletter users database, which surely has a web interface for helpdesk access, and the field "newsletter language", change the current language, and choose the other one.the other one exists, of course, is one of the main languages Cubase, etc, supports.

when such small thing can't be done, to help a guy that has already spent like 2000-2500 euros on steinberg, we can but lose all the hope and faith, for a better world.

of course, one will tell me "why don't you go to the forum and ask, etc.. ?" if my support ticket couldn't have a solution, nothing will help .

yes, i know "you should make a request on the forum".
    but if you read this, just think about this question.
    why, i mean, why, can't people have an option, on his account-newsletter-> preferred language
    -english
    -french
    -dutch
    -italian
    -spanish
    and any other languages available for the newsletter

what if a deutch guy is working with a friend in his studio, with an english friend, and he wants to receive the newsletter in english, instead of deutch, so his friend can read it as well (there are no visible serial numbers, and a 30 digit coupon for a arturia pack, can't be memorized in 1 second)
    what if a belgium guy moved from the walloon region, to bruxels, but doesn't want his newsletter in french, but in german ?
    what if a spanish guy has bought cubase, 2 years ago, and has now moved to berlin, and wants to receive the newsletter in dutch instead of spanish ?
    what if a swiss guy from the deutch region is now working with a singer, on the french region, and wants to receive the newsletter in french, or why not, english ?

need more examples ? i don't think so.

i believe, to steinberg, sending a newsletter in english, spanish or italian, to the guy who chooses,accepts to receive the newsletter, costs exactly the same.

when the support told me they couldn't help me with my problem, i wish i could send it to steinberg ceo, or yamaha ceo, and tell them:
    "see, dear ceo's, i am doing all i can, to be able to receive your newsletter in a language i can understand, so i can receive your new offers, prices, announcements, deals, etc, and so i can spend more of my hard-earned money on your company and products, so you make more money and can invest in other new products, and make the company grow even more, but unfortunately, after opening a support ticket, nobody could make the simple and kind effort to simply change the language of my newsletter. and because of that, dear ceo's, i don't understand what the newsletter says, and i will certainly miss one of your offers, price drops, new products, etc, which is sad, really sad, because i want to keep spending more money on your products, but if the support don't want to help me, what can i do? "

what do you think the Ceo's would think ? :( ...

could you please talk about this newsletter language option to some devs ? i hope they will not tell you "sorry, can't read your email today, my outlook/lotus can only display japanese characters"

ps. are the new 2015 controllers still going to be released this year ? having them by october-november, would be great ->just in time for cubase 9 (i don't think one could sell a "8.5 pro" product, and because all the engine was re-written, new mixer, new framework, it's easier to integrate much more stuff, much faster. and with many other daws at v9,v10,etc, a guy wanting to buy his first DAW, would rather choose a v9, v10, v11 , then a "half" 8.5 something, which could denote an "unfinished, half-finished version/product"

so, +20 november = let's prepare the visa cards, for Cubase 9

10. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Infidel

Infidel Producer

YES! This PT user wants to get in to Cubase. I don't like subscription software like PT is now. I planned on upgrading to 12 from 10 (my 1st PT) but not if it subscription. Fock AVID. and Fock MS for doing it to Office.
    I just bought a O1v96i and it came with a download of Cubase Ai8. Not a big fan of AI because it lacks so much that Pro has. Hell, I still use Acid Pro 4 (it has surround sound while PT still doesn't unless you buy the $2000 per year HD version).