Cubase Pro 8.5 - How Stable is it?

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by Zealious, Oct 19, 2016.

?

are you able to create all of your songs without losing any of your work and do features work?

1. Yes and yes every feature works as advertised

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. Not able to finish all projects bc crashing, but features work as advertised

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Yes, can finish my projects, but some features do not work like expected

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. Zealious

Zealious Kapellmeister

Hi there,

First let me start by telling you that I have bought 2 official Cubase licenses in the past

Having spent thousands of euros on this software I had to wait for four years of Steinberg updates before it even started to wait work reliably on any system installed on

I know they ( Steiny ) finally got the Cubase working reliably before Cubase v. 7

But since then they made a major core changes in the code such as changing the graphical interface

I'm asking how stable is the Cubase Pro 8.5 - and are you able to create all of your songs without losing any of your work on it and also do all of the features that are advertised work as advertised?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  3. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

Yet to have a crash, been installed since 8.5 launch.

4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

As stable as it gets.CPU friendly,opens fast,stable,doesnt crash.Works great here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Been using Cubase since 1989. Once you know the system its hard to move away from it but, like any software use what ever you feel comfortable with.

6. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

#1 DAW ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I haven't really been working with it long enough to attest to 'every feature' working as advertised. I've read some things on the steinberg forums like disabled tracks lose their quick controls parameters. But I haven't personally experienced anything not working correctly.

For me, things were a bit finnicky when I was getting it all set up... had to take a couple cracks at the first plugin scan and plugin manager configurations. I had an issue where cubase would crash on exiting the program. Apparently this is a known issue, and it looks like it's been sorted with the help of Steinberg support. Anyway, you get the point... it wasn't plug and play, but it wasn't too bad. Now that I've got everything configured so that Cubase cooperates with my Win 10 system, its been solid. Not a single crash while working. No more crashes on exit. Starts up fast, handles plugins well, etc. No complaints here. And I do love the plethora of features and deep configurability.

I gotta say too, the plugin management is the best I have seen and the mixer is pretty special in its own right. I love the copy settings to track function and the Configurations menu. Really nice to be able to hide all the tracks with nothing on them, or show only busses, or whatever... with one click.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

No longer have it, but had it for about 8/9 months from release and never had any issues with it!

9. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Are you Bunford on Steinberg forums too? I think I saw you on there recently. I noticed the name :)

10. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Yup :)

11. teknomix

teknomix Kapellmeister

I use from Cubasis in 1992 until now with Cubase v8.5, never I had a crash, never I lost a project.

12. Zealious

Zealious Kapellmeister

Thank you for your replies everyone

13. Infidel

Infidel Producer

Only problems so far are the drivers for hardware.

14. blaqmatic

blaqmatic Platinum Record

Hey Zealous, it's 90% Stable. Does crash sometimes, but I love the features and productivity I can get out of it.
    Overall...Definitely worth having! I am using it on a Macbook Pro 2015 with El Capitan. Are you on a mac?

15. Zealious

Zealious Kapellmeister

I m still undecided if i ll stay on windows or switch to Mac

16. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

hi Cav, what kind of optimizations did you do for Cubase under Win10?

17. shomyca

shomyca Producer

Very stable here, although some annoyances exist and one feature that is driving me crazy.

The biggest annoyance is laggy graphics, as I always hide/show my mixer (it's very long list of channels) and every time I have to wait to be shown, like whole second. One would think it;s not that long, but when you show/hide it very often, it's just annoying...not that I can't live with it.

But that goddamn bloody praised render-in-place feature!!! Why the f@#$ there is no more threads of people complaining? How the f@#$ are you guys making it work? Here, it's just random hit and miss. 70% of time it stuck on rendering on 100%, and stays there, and I have to "end task" the cubase process and open it and project again (luckily I work with VEPro and I don't have to reload all of my samples every time)... And those 30% when it actually works are making me using it, and it just is fucking with my temper constantly.

Is there something that you guys did so it works? I tried changing the bit-rate of rendering to match the bit-rate of the project....tried turning on the tail. But still, sometimes it works, sometimes not.:snuffy:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. burgvogt

burgvogt Kapellmeister

Couldn't be happier with it. Have been using it on win7 since it was launched - so far not a single crash. Features work as promised and advertised :wink:

19. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Thats a lot of time for your mixer to show up.Its important to have both the project and mixer windows maximized and also the mixer always on top has to be enabled.
    When i click mix/proj buttons on my faderport the windows switch instantly.
    The only lag i get in the mixer itself is with big projects when i have a lot of tracks, i hope that gets addressed in the 9er.
    Render works good here, doesnt stuck at all ,though we need a render to mono without any special assignments.
    Which OS version are you working on?

20. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Not a heck of a lot to be honest. It was more about setting up Cubase to avoid one or two plugins that gave it problems, run as admin, and I moved most of its data folders to non-system folders to make sure I never encounter any permissions problems. I am an admin account but with Win 10 you never know sometimes

21. blaqmatic

blaqmatic Platinum Record

Ah...Ok.