Cubase Performance Meter Peak

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by ibo, Jun 26, 2020.

1. ibo

ibo Noisemaker

Cubase performance meter was peaking on most projects. I cranked the buffer size slider of ASIO4All to 2048 samples and latency compensation in and out sliders to 1024 samples. Now it never peaks and I did not experience any problems so far.

Did I do the right thing?

3. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

That depends if you are recording anything in real time, you may notice that, for instance, if you are playing a midi keyboard with a virtual instrument the delay in hearing the sound is huge....
    The thing with computer recording is trying to reduce this latency to a minimum, and depending on your PC, soundcard driver (dedicated ASIO is best, ASIO4All is a generic ASIO driver) and if you can hardware monitor, all need to be considered. Its really all about what works for you and getting the best balance you can achieve. Good luck, but a dedicated Soundcard with a real ASIO driver will help considerably.

4. ibo

ibo Noisemaker

Thank you for your reply.
    I use cubase for realtime guitar recording at 192 khz. sampling rate while some plugins working like amp sims, drum and bass samplers etc. That sample rate reduces the latency. However, as I know, and as you said, increasing the buffer size will increase the latency, but surprisingly it didn't!
    On the other hand, last year I bought a scarlett 4i4 and used it several months and sold it. I am not so experienced on this but I realized that my onboard sound card has better latency and better performance generally.
    Thank you again.

5. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

hi. there's no point to go above 88khz sample rate imho.

6. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

There's little point in going above 48k either, it's not like he's going to get audiophile-grade 192k from asio4all on onboard soundcard. Switch to 44.1/48 and get your buffer size back to at least 256 samples, preferably less.

OP, the idea of going to 192k for less latency is technically true, but you have a potato computer and it just won't happen. So drop to 44.1/48 and use less of a buffer. You'll get the latency just as low, with less CPU usage.