Cubase & Logic Pro x

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Sounddept, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Sounddept

Sounddept Guest

Hello

I am currently setting up my studio computer, once again as I have encountered problems with my previous backup that I was using.

My question is this....I use Cubase 10.5 Pro and while I have used Cubase since 2012, I am intrigued about Logic Pro X

I see so many artists (including proffesionals) using it nowadays

Would it be a good idea to put it on my studio computers as well as Cubase?

3. Raddler777

Raddler777 Guest

Yes. It's amazing. Don't waste your time with two DAW's but certainly give logic a test run.

4. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

depends what you see nice about Logic,
    sure it has some nice included plugins, but they cannot be used in other DAW like Cubase,
    also it's Mac-only and requires pretty regular updating of MacOS or else you get stuck with outdated Logic version which will lack any future updates,
    also it explicitly supports only AU plugin format which may limit our choices of plugins,

if you like the way something works, and consider a change or secondary DAW, then maybe try Reaper, because that's the DAW with most features, scriptable, and most people use it, they just don't brag about it, its only major flaw is lack of instruments, which you already have with Cubase, so shouldn't be a dealbreaker..
    :chilling:

5. 6ixcore

6ixcore Producer

If you work with lots of plugins then Logic is not the best, plugin delay compensation is broken for a long time. That being said im a user since v4 :guru:

6. Cosval

Cosval Member

Logic is transforming more and more into a very producer oriented platform.
    Once we could think they were inspired by the Germans from Steinberg but now - IMO - they shifted to another German product: Ableton.
    I still think Logic is the best of both (multiple) worlds in terms of a DAW.
    • Would I be able to compose on Logic ? Yes but Cubase is supposed to still be better at managing MiDi & Notation,
    • Would I be able to rapidly compose in session mode like Maschine or Live ? Yes, but Ableton and Maschine are supposed to be better at that job,
    • Would I be able to track instruments / vox on Logic ? Yes but some would say that Pro Tools is better,
    • Would I be able to perform all my editing on Logic (comping, cutting etc...) ? Yes, but some would say Pro Tools is better,
    • Would I be able to Mix in Logic ? Yes, some even say the stock plugins (EQ & compressors are superb), yet some would say that Pro Tools or Studio One are better,
    • Would I be able to Master in Logic ? Yes.... bla bla bla
    You get my point, Logic is a great tool and it's highly optimized for MAC so you get a great tool for half the price of other DAW, plus a tons of sounds to jump start your productions.

I am one of those who think that the use of 2 DAWs is almost normal nowadays (even 3 if you consider Reason as a plug-in) but you will still have some preferences for typical steps of your workflow.

So for 229€, you get a great tool more producer-oriented than Cubase and highly optimized for your platform with tons of sounds and stock plugins that works pretty good, plus a companion app on the iPad.

I would give it a BIG TRY if I were you.

Cheers,