Cubase: Is this it then...No more dongle?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Vincent Price, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Amore_de_la_Vida

Amore_de_la_Vida Platinum Record

For those who frequently read the St. forum, it's an obviousness that Steinberg is trying to change its licensing system... because it's a statement by Steinberg itself! Read:

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/lice...-future-of-the-elicenser-changes-ahead/701407

EDIT: Read there too!

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/upcoming-server-downtime-on-august-3/732762/2

And it's only one of several messages where officials from "Stinkberg" :bleh: :winker: says: "We are about to change eLicenser system". Since several years that they are working on a new system, and the recent "server downs" is witnessing that changes are on their way, perhaps for Cubase 12?

This is a sure info: things are about to change. Perhaps they will propose an online licensing system, exactly like Reason? Or a particular form of "hardware autentification"? I don't think it will be a new form of "soft elicenser" system (like the one of Halion for ex.), because it can be too easily cracked by glorious VR.... :wink:

One day I made a suggestion that smartphones could be used to authenticate licenses, instead of dongles. Last suggestion: wireless dongles, which could use WIFI to communicate with the app. This way, you're no more constrained to let the dongle connected to your comp' (could be easily stolen if you use your comp' on live / public situations), you could keep your dongle into your pocket, or hide it somewhere it cannot be found.

Whatever, "Stone Berg" :bleh: is about to change the game! My hope is that their new licensing system will have some fails, so that a Glorious R2R Magnificent Team of Gods can operate its magic! :guru: :like::mates: :winker: :wink:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  2. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

hi there [​IMG] I have a question for this situation:

I'm currently on Cubase Pro 10 and I bought a Cubase Pro 10.5 Update during the discount period (July 2020), but I didn't activate it yet.

If I activate this license today, will I obtain Cubase 11 or 10.5? And, if I activate the license when Cubase 12 will be out (assuming that protection system won't change, ideally), which Cubase will I obtain?

Thank you [​IMG]

3. Talula

Talula Rock Star

last year they did a promotion. users who bought cubase 10 or upgraded to cubase 10 and registered the code in their account within a certain period (about 2 weeks, but I may be wrong) received the upgrade to cubase 10.5 for free.
    Answers to such questions are best found in the news on the steinberg website and in the faq section, as well as in their mailing lists.

4. Amore_de_la_Vida

I you wanna benefit of the "grace period" system, you have two conditions:

- If you wanna have the future Cubase 12 update for free, you have to be updated to Cubase 11 (perhaps there will be a new official promotion on the update?)

- But don't activate the update yet, wait to be very close to the release date of Cubase 12.

Read there: https://forums.steinberg.net/t/license-to-pro-11-from-pro-10-5/728684

And go there in the future to test if your actual (activated) license gives you right to a free update:

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/...ify-eligibility-for-free-Grace-Period-update-

5. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

You will have a long waiting for Cubase 12, since Cubase 11.5 hasn´t yet been released. I hope they´re about release 11.5 with the new midi controller implementation

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. DigitalAge

DigitalAge Kapellmeister

RIP Gouda

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  7. anon69

anon69 Producer

If it's a "license cloud" where you have to stay online every second you use it, then it's a no for me.

8. Amore_de_la_Vida

Completely agree, and the legit users completely agree with you, there was several messages on the official forum saying a big "NO" to the "always online" freaking "philosophy"...

"Always online" means also a big opportunity to gather a LOT of personal data, and of course to earn money with it. Look at nano$oft: if you do nothing against that, WIn10 by default collects everything it can about you... :( :dont:

EDIT: It's exactly why I hate Reason, that and the freaking subscription model... /:

9. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  10. Amore_de_la_Vida

I hope not! But alas, your projection sounds very realistic and plausible, blockchain is the new eldorado for new businesses, it could very well happens....

But there is still reasonable people which are able to analyse socio-economic phenomenas with the good distance and reflection, read for example this excellent and clear article, you will then realize that this excitement on blockchain could be very well overly exaggerated:

https://thecorrespondent.com/655/bl...ution-for-almost-nothing/86714927310-8f431cae

11. Hennessey

Hennessey Platinum Record

Server is back, but i can't see nothing changed?

12. Amore_de_la_Vida

You will not see anything until they reveal what is their new license system and how it works (surely after extensive tests).

Some messages let me think that in a first time they will allow both systems to function in parallel, but progressively, future versions will use the new system exclusively...

Of course I can be wrong, but many little things tell me that for now and for longtime, we will still have the choice between the two systems.

Message on the forum:

(bold and underscore are mine)

13. Hennessey

And what that exactly means? I am looking on Twitter, legit having same question.... All that fuzz 4 what? Maybe they are waiting Windows 11 with all that nonsense requirements, so Cubase can not be cracked in that environment, and all future releases will be Windows 11 exclusively...
    Like Microsoft they are mindfckrs...
    Just teasing people and making hype of something without even explanation!
    Now i really hope from bottom of my heart that R2R will burn them to ashes!

BTW, MySteinberg account looks exactly the same! Only way to log in,looks different, they've added some "new cool" circular animation????

14. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

Check your dongle.
    All of us were granted an additional license of Magix music maker 5.

15. blasterx

blasterx Kapellmeister

Ok, i try to activate CA11 without dongle and i can't :(

16. Amore_de_la_Vida

Just to keep you entertained guys :bleh: :

On a Twitter discourse / lecture / prophecy / hem... I would say declaration, corporate Shhhtindberggg holly blessed guy / :guru: prophet said:

Read also this juicy discussion on the Stin berth forum.

:disco::winker::thumbsup:

EDIT: They should really change their name: Einstein-Berg sounds far, far better!

17. Hennessey

I just finished with reading that juicy discussion, and you have right, they should change their name to Einsteinberg!
    OMG they will make a mess, the worse licensing system than anything...
    So complicating, i told you and Micrishit is making same problem with Windows 11...
    They even have not idea what to do and how to implement licensing system because Team V.R fucked them up...
    Same was with Nexus 3, like cloud licensing, than was a BIG BANG with all expansions existed...
    For me is good way of autorization like iLok cloud, once activate machine and is all done.
    No need for internet connection again ( i guess is like that) i have Xpand2 and some cheap licenses i bought for some time, but i rather use cracked software cause I hate how slow it is, but still, they could "borrow" that idea.
    You can deactivate machine anytime, then to go on a new machine just with iLok credentials... How simple is that...

18. Hennessey

According to your nickname i'd expect from you to give us some creative idea or to make it happen, i am trying but still nothing :/
    Still, this thread is not in the humor section, wait for another one , it will fit your needs 100%...

19. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

My rationale for suggesting a reduced line is that Steinberg/Yamaha may be losing market share precisely because of the effectiveness of their hardware dongle security model...It's pretty much an open secret that the try-before-you-buy realities of an over-saturated music software market means that Steinberg may therefore be losing potential lifelong customers to ableton, studio one, Reaper, Bitwig etc...

N.B. I'm on 10.5 pro and in fact I purchased an upgrade to 11 pro (at discount a few weeks back) even though i have no intention of moving from windows 7. Yeah, i'm a sukka for a 'bargain'...

20. Amore_de_la_Vida

I really hope you're right, that the new system will be an "activate once and forget my existence unless I need to de/reactivate or sell my licence or yell at you" one.

As said earlier, my concern is that the precious dongle could easily be stolen during a live venue / gig / performance / whatever. I need to feel secure with the software I chosen to use as my main, everyday daw. So I need a system - without dongle - that allow easily, even if my computer is stolen / destroyed in fire / whatever, to easily restore my license on a fresh new computer ASAP.

Until now, I haven't any hope to see one day such a system exists with Stberg "dongleware" as I call it.

Unless , of course, R2R changes definitely the game forever... We never know? Perhaps they know already what is the "new license system" and how it works?