Cubase doesn't recognize Kontakt 7 Portable

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Darkred, Nov 1, 2023.

1. Darkred

Darkred Newbie

Hi all,

I have Kontakt 7 player installed.
    Now I installed Kontakt 7.61 Portable - it works as a standalone, but when I try to use it in Cubase Pro 12 (legit), it doesn't recognize it.
    I read many posts here but nothing works, it's so frustrating!

More details:
    - The legit version is located in C drive, and the portable version in D drive.
    - I added D:\Portables\Kontakt 7\Kontakt 7\x64\VST3 to Cubase, as an additional plugin scan folder
    - I re-scaned Cubase plugins
    - I checked Cubase's blacklist and it's not there
    - I reset Cubase plug-ins cache manually

Kontakt 7.61 Portable Readme:
    If your DAW can't see portable VST plugin at the same time as the installed one, modify PluginID in the corresponding section of VST plug-ins settings file (Settings.ini), for example:
    [Kontakt 7 Portable.vst3]
    PluginId=Nik7
    PluginName=Kontakt

I have the Settings.ini file, but I'm not sure - how should I modify the text "PluginId=Nik7"? what should I type?

Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. erminardi

erminardi Kapellmeister

Since V.7, I too have been unable to use the portable version in Cub12.
    After hours of failed attempts, I just solved it by using Danilov's version.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. secretworld

secretworld Kapellmeister

Is there another portable the Danilovs version? In any case, working fine here, but I think legit and portable only works if editing the ini and the the plugin needs a rescan by the daw. There is a text file how to do it there.

5. Darkred

Darkred Newbie

Thanks, I'm using the Danilov's version.

This is what the Kontakt 7.61 Portable Readme says:
    If your DAW can't see portable VST plugin at the same time as the installed one, modify PluginID in the corresponding section of VST plug-ins settings file (Settings.ini), for example:
    [Kontakt 7 Portable.vst3]
    PluginId=Nik7
    PluginName=Kontakt

I have the Settings.ini file, but I'm not sure - how should I modify the text "PluginId=Nik7"? what should I type?

6. panaman

panaman Kapellmeister

i thought you can not use anything other than the default folder for vst3:
    C:\Programme\Common Files\VST3

7. Darkred

Darkred Newbie

You can. I have multiple locations in Cubase that work.
    However, in this case, the installation of the Portable version also automatically created a link in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3, to the folder of the Portable version that I have in D drive - but despite that Cubase doesn't recognize it.

8. erminardi

erminardi Kapellmeister

Sorry, my fault, I meant Bobdule :guru:

9. Darkred

Darkred Newbie

I just tried the Bob Dule version, but Cubase doesn't recognize it.
    In the components window, I choose to install only vst3, do I also need to check "Add 64-bit vst", or "File associations (nki, nkm, nkb)"?

10. RachProko

RachProko Producer

If you have a 'legit' version of Kontakt 7 installed? Why would you then install a pirated portable version??!! Why not just update your 'legit' to the latest version?

I think by now you need to clean everything out and make sure all traces of vst and vst3 are gone. And then decide what version you actually want to use? The normal (your legit) or the portable (pirated)? Because mixing two versions of Kontakt 7 is not really a good idea. Not only for your system, but also not for your own sake!

So de-install everything and install a version and stick to that!

11. Darkred

Darkred Newbie

I'm so sorry, my bad! by "legit", I meant the "Kontakt 7 player"

12. d6da2kc

d6da2kc Newbie

The folder Kontakt v7.6.0 tree too many long.
    Move the Kontakt folder.

For example: C:\Program Files:\Kontakt 7.6.0 Portable

13. RachProko

RachProko Producer

No harm done! But you need to make up your mind about what version to use?
    You can use V7, V6, and even V5 next to each other, but you can't use two version of V7 next to each other. Well, maybe...if only use them strictly standalone? But you obviously want to load Kontakt 7 into Cubase 12!

So do yourself a favor an decide what version you want? Is the player enough for you or is there a reason for you to use the full version? Maybe using some libraries you'd want to use needs a full version?

If I correctly feel where you want to go? I'd say, uninstall everything and install the Bob Dule version and take it from there.
    Just make sure you fully understand the difference between the normal en the portable version. Because it can have serious impact on your projects today vs how you want to manage these in the future!

14. Darkred

Darkred Newbie

Thanks! The portable version is better for me, and all in all I don't need the Kontakt 7 Player. From what I read here in the forum and also from Kontakt 7.61 Portable Readme, I understood that you can have both Kontakt 7 player + portable together.
    The reason I want to have both is because:
    A. I'm not sure how it would impact previous projects of mine who use the player.
    B. I'm not sure - will I still be able to use Native Access for installing legit libraries? (and than load it in the portable?)

15. Darkred

Darkred Newbie

Do you mean I need to make the address shorter?
    I have the portable version here: D:\Portables\Kontakt 7
    How can I make it shorter?

16. RenwickHoek

RenwickHoek Newbie

Best Answer
    I got both legit and portable to work in Cubase by renaming the plugin file to "Kontakt 7 Portable 2.vst3" then changing Settings.ini to the following

[Kontakt 7 Portable 2.vst3]
    PluginId=NiK8
    PluginName=Kontakt 7 Portable

I don't really know if this contributed, but I'd also deleted the SYMLINK from C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 and recreated it as a junction using

mklink /J "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Kontakt 7 Portable" "D:\Kontakt 7 Portable\Kontakt 7\x64\VST3"

(change the second section in quotes to your specific K7P folder).

17. Darkred

Darkred Newbie

Wow, thank you so much!!! It worked! [​IMG]
    I only renamed the plugin file to "Kontakt 7 Portable 2.vst3" + created Settings.ini file with what you wrote.

I just don't understand how you decided to add the "2" to the file's name, or how you came up with what to write in the Settings.ini file - I don't understand the logic behind it.
    Anyway thank you again!! Much appreciated [​IMG]
    Now I have the player + portable version running together, and I don't have to take the risk of removing the player and losing all my VST settings.

18. Ryan

Ryan Member

What is the benefit of installing legit and non legit things together. It generally works better if you either stick to legit kontakt or non legit kontakt or in general warez (cracked) version of a brand of developer (let's say steinberg) or cracked. Mixing that can easily create issues. Even if you buy a legit kontakt library to support a developer, why not just install the non legit one so everything keeps working together?
    I see it a lot on this forum that when people pay for a product, they want to install the legit version they paid for. However, usually the legit does not have any benefits compared to the cracked ones. I mean, sure it's great to support the developers, but even if you buy something to support a developer, you can still just install the cracked one if you have other cracked products from that same brand to keep it consistent and issue free.

19. Darkred

Darkred Newbie

Hi, thanks.
    As I wrote on my previous comment:

The reason I want to have both is because:
    A. If I remove the legit player, I'm not sure how it would impact previous projects of mine who use it, and I don't want to take the risk of losing all my VST settings.
    B. I'm not sure if I will still be able to use the legit Native Access for installing legit libraries (and than load it in the portable)

20. kokar

kokar Newbie

Hi,
    The problem with: Cubase dont recognize Kontakt 7 Portal is SOLVED :)
    the easiest way to get Kontakt 7 Portable to be detected and work perfectly normal is to uninstall all Kontakt plugins and then reinstall Kontakt Portable without any change of name of the Kontakt Portable in Setting.ini or symlink that was written by someone here.
    Important to be careful during the installation, as you will be asked where you want Kontakt Portable.vst3 to be installed in order to be integrated into your DAW (Kontakt automatically selects VST Plugins), you must change locally to:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
    It will solve all problems :)

21. mylonojr

mylonojr Ultrasonic

Just in case:

In my Cubase installation in the VST instruments panel, KONTAKT portable can be found under "Other" and not under "Native Instruments". Have you tried that?