Cubase does not play 24bit 192kbs correctly, it sounds so Slow?

Discussion in 'Software' started by belinea2010, Aug 26, 2019.

1. belinea2010

belinea2010 Kapellmeister

I am working with a wave file that is 24bit 192kbs.

I have chopped it up into one beat (not bar) wave files and normally I would use Chicken Systems Translator to format the wave files into 1 beat Acid files - then when imported into Cubase 5 they change to the project tempo. It works really well....

BUT...

I have only done this on standard wave files not the high quality ones I need to use now and my version of Translator, V2.9, build 123, does not seem to like these high quality files as when I import the converted waves into Cubase they sound like they are playing REALLY slowly?

I know Cubase 5 can playback a 24bit 192kbs wave file as source audio file plays fine (before being chopped up. Also if I look at the chopped up acid-ized files within Cubase's Audio Pool they show as 24bit 192kbs.

What am I doing wrong?

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Is your playback sample rate (on your audio interface) set to 192kHz? Does your audio interface even go up to 192kHz sample rate?

Why do you use 192kHz sample rate, if I may ask? 96kHz is perfectly fine (no aliasing/foldover).

4. belinea2010

Hi Baxter

Sorry I meant 96kHz and not 192kHz (having an off day).

Yes my audio interface can play 24bit 96kHz fine, if I load the source file - the wave which I am chopping up into 1 beat samples - Cubase 5 plays it fine, it is the chopped files (the ones that I have converted to acid files) that play back slow even though they are converted as 24bit 96kHz.

Its all very fraustrating.

5. SceleJohn

SceleJohn Producer

@Baxter This may be a bit off topic but: Shouldn't an interface at 96kHz be able to play 192 samples at a lower rate without slowing down by "skipping" every other sample ?

6. Hooman.Leys

Hooman.Leys Platinum Record

You changes the sample rate on you audio interface and you need to change the sound setting to the same sample rate :)
    What you are on? Windows or Mac?

7. belinea2010

Windows 7 64 Bit

8. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

This happens to me sometimes when importing audio files into Cubase. As Baxter pointed out it's some kind of mismatch between the sample rates of the project/audio file/interface. unfortunately I usually have to putz around with it for a few minutes to isolate why it's happening, because normally Cubase will just convert these things correctly right away straight from the import file dialog.

I'd check the project sample rate (alt + S will get you there I think), then make sure its the same as your interface, then try importing the file again and check the "convert to project sample rate" or whatever in the dialog

9. evolasme

evolasme Producer

Cubase you have to start the project in that sample rate. otherwise, it gets played at the projects sample rate. which would be slower. importing is not the same as drag and dropping. you can i think tell cubase to convert a sample to the project sample rate for playback ( not sure about 5 though) but regardless it's gonna sound crap though as it only can use what data is there it won't make it better probably worse but at lease in time

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Hooman.Leys

Hooman.Leys Platinum Record

Hey mate,

You can check your windows sound setting here:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...n/5a70718b-7ecf-4547-a64a-22efda8da0c2?auth=1

First of all you need to know what sample rate is you file, then set the same sample rate on your project,
    In cubase you can find it on (top strip) Project/Project setup,

Here is my suggestions:
    1: if you want to continue with you old project delete your file from the project, then go to the pool (Control+P) and delete the file from the pool as well, then set the project sample rate and import your file.
    Or
    2: If you don't want to change the project sample rate you can just try to create a new project and drop you file, you will get a new window which asking you that if you want to convert your file to the project sample rate, you just simply click ok and thats it!

i hope it helps:)

11. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

There's probably loss of samplerate info in the wav file.
    It's true that once in Cubase it has the be played as the project sample rate, but if it works for another different samplerates than the project something is missing.

12. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Never used Acid files myself. So the fuckup is occuring in the conversion? Or is Cubase's musical mode automatically turned on when using Acid files?

Make sure you don't have Cubase's musical mode turned on for that specific track.

(Cubase 10, but the effect and graphics is still the same as in Cubase 5): https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_a...itor_tempo_matching_audio_musical_mode_c.html
    Cubase will play 96kHz samples at half speed (half BPM, an octave down) at 192kHz SR playback. It would not "skip".
    What do you mean with "skip" exactly? Musical (granular stretch) mode?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019