Cubase Arranger - Instantly jump to next Arrangement section using Midi Keyboard

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by agaricfly, Jun 10, 2023.

1. agaricfly

agaricfly Noisemaker

Hi there!

I’m wondering if any of the knowledgable people out there can help me solve a problem?

I’m using Cubase 12 to play a backing track at live shows.

I’ve set up Cubase’s arranger so that each song’s backing track is an arrangement section. Those Cubase arrangements also incorporate video footage. When each song ends the arranger waits for a prompt from me. I then press the “Play” button on my Nektar GX61 keyboard & the next backing track/video starts. That’s fine.

The problem I have is that after the music ends for each song I’d like to keep video footage playing for an indefinite length in the background (For visual entertainment), until I’m ready to start the next song. The obvious way to do this would be to have a couple of minutes of video footage tagged on to the end of each backing track but that’s where my problem lies.
    As things stand, pressing the Nektar’s “Play” button in the middle of an arrangement section (In this case musicless video footage), rightfully pauses all activity & pressing it again, simply resumes from where I paused it,

Is there anyway of configuring the Nektar 61 & Cubase 12 so that pressing the Nektar “Play” button at any point during an arrangement automatically jumps to the next section of the arrangement (Next song’s backing track)?

Hoping this makes sense & that somebody can help!?

3. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Have you checked VSTLive from Steinberg? It's much more suitable for live situations. As a bonus it let's you control also video and lighting. You can export Cubase projects to VSTLive

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

5. agaricfly

agaricfly Noisemaker

I've looked at VST Live. Videos and tutorials on the subject seem very few and far between... and vague... but I will revisit it & give it more thought if I can't find a solution within Cubase (I thought there might be a way of sending a mid controller message to the Nektar keyboard, which might do the trick!?). Many thanks for taking the time to reply and offer guidance.

6. agaricfly

agaricfly Noisemaker

Likewise Gig Performer, which I do think would work as an alternative. I just hoped that I wouldn't have to install additional software and that someone would find a way of addressing "Instant jump to next track in arranger" within Cubase. Many thanks for the link, too! Going to look at that now.

7. samsum

samsum Producer

Best Answer
    'n' key in Cubase on PC Keyboard triggers 'Transport - Locate Next Event' and more in
    Cubase Edit> Key Commands> Arranger for 'Trigger Arranger Event 1, Trigger Arranger Event 2, Trigger Arranger Event 3' etc.
    for PC Keyboard Triggers

You may find this video helpful to setup a Cubase 'Generic Remote Device' to use your Nektar as a midi trigger.

All About The Cubase Arranger Track!

Also this video might be helpful:
    Cubase 12 MIDI REMOTE ULTIMATE GUIDE from START to FINISH! Supercharge your Existing Controllers!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
  8. agaricfly

agaricfly Noisemaker

Thank you, so much!!! I watched the first video, which gave me an insight. YouTube then (coincidentally) suggested the second video you posted, so I watched that &, after a bit of trial & error, have been able to create a script which appears to do exactly as I want.
    I just need to keep testing that it's robust enough (I have constant fears of the IT crashing whilst on stage).
    Thanks again for the fantastic assistance & to everyone who offered advice. It's so appreciated! :)

9. samsum

samsum Producer

That's great, you're welcome and glad you found them helpful... I'm still learning Cubase and been with it since Atari ST days... Only just discovered Frequency 2 plugin in Cubase and how amazing it is with side chaining from multiple sources... the same guy Dom Sigalis on YT does a video on that too.... enjoy :wink:

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

This is probably the #1 reason to not use Cubase. It is just about the most crash-prone real DAW software.