Cubase 9 is here.

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by Von_Steyr, Nov 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kostovas

kostovas Kapellmeister

2. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

VST2 can be 32bit or 64bit, VST3 is only 64 bit.

3. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

cubase users were waiting for a better GUI since ages so it's definitely worth the upgrade.

ableton vs cubase : to each his own.

4. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Cubase 9 Musi Production Available

■ Zoning in on Cubase

■ Sampler Track

More info here

5. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Incidentally, the new Soundtoyz EchoBoy Jr X64 plugin just got blacklisted in Cubase 9 lol

[​IMG]

6. peterA

peterA Platinum Record

A new lower zone - haven't I seen that somewhere else? Oh yes Studio One have had it for years.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Cubase is still a winner imo.No other daw is so complex yet capable for fast and powerful work.Couldnt imagine working with anything else.

I wonder if mixer lag with higher track count has been fixed.

8. nycdl

nycdl Kapellmeister

maybe this time they'll get it right 8.0 and 8.5 were complete garbage.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Jazz-N-Stuff

Jazz-N-Stuff Platinum Record

got it and played the whole afternoon with it. there is a 1st update already 9.01 and 9.02 soon. lol

Computer 1 (the usual "i do all with it" Interwebs and "test pluginsfrom sistersite ") was a desaster, 4 full crash in less than 1 hr ... but this one never made any trouble with 8.5, maybe I reinstall tomorrow. Some 32 Bit plugins on the blacklist.

Computer 2 (production workstation, all legit stuff, much less VST plugins) working for 2-3 hrs now.
    Here i use a 40" 4 K Monitor, the new layout helps alot, still the pluginwindows of Retrologue not scalable, a pain in the ass.
    I cant believe Steinberg dont understand the future of high res monitors.
    Small Steps only, and still a lot of things not perfect.
    i work with WIN7 ulti and each PC has a decent hardware (SSD as C:// 8 and 16 GB RAM etc)

BTW 99.- Euros for online update from 8.5, if you are not rich, wait some weeks until everything is finalized.
    I can waste this money and i dont really care its not perfect, it installs in a new directory as usual, so i can go back to 8.5 anytime on my Computer 1

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I took this photo... :disco:

... from this thread I mean...

11. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

So it looks like some plugins are being blacklisted for arbitrary reasons. I managed to "un-blacklist" them by going to the Plug-In Manager and choosing the "re-activate" option in the blacklist tab.

Outside of a few freeware plugs I didnt really use and the vst2 x64 versions of iZotope plugins, everything else is working perfectly. Installed the vst3 versions and everything loads up fine. It even feels like its been optimized a bit as it launches and closes significantly faster than v8.5.

Off to test the sampler tracks :)

12. Hooman.Leys

Hooman.Leys Platinum Record

just a new EQ AND new SAMPLER
    other things just they change the places to easy access!
    that's funny.

13. Soul1975

Soul1975 Platinum Record

The sampler track is pretty cool.
    Although it does seem like Studio One has had a lot of these same features for awhile now.
    I'm not really sure because i don't use it that often.
    The weird thing is,after all this praise about Cubase and they just now started doing sequential undo/redo,that's crazy.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  14. kostovas

kostovas Kapellmeister

So is it fast or isn't make up your mind... :bleh::bleh:

15. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

how can you guys say the Lower Zone is not worth its money ? we were waiting for a better GUI since the 90s !

S1 having all this already ? yeah but S1's GUI is a blatant ripoff of the cubase GUI anyway, so what ? should i base the backbone of my setup on a company like Presonus ? will they still be in business in 2020 ?

16. Soul1975

Soul1975 Platinum Record

So if S1 is a Blatant ripoff,why is Cubase just now doing something S1 has been doing?LOL
    But,anyways,relax b,noone is saying switch your D.A.W......use what YOU like,and what fits YOUR workfolw.

17. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

I guess its all in what we expect to get. Yes we got a improved GUI. We also get a very nice EQ.. So as a Cubase Pro user i get a EQ and a improved GUI for a 100.. i almost feel a little embaressed. I mean i have talked warmly about my Cubase, and i still do. 8.5 has it all. Sure a few improvments would have made it even better but it does it work no matter what i have tossed at it.

But this update.. its a BIG BIG hmmm for me. They have done some nice things but also created alot of problems for many users that have been using their products for a very long time. Mostly this blacklisting of plugins. Yeah yeah, i know many of them can be unblacklisted but not all. For me its like i cant play my favorite guitar cause someone dont like the color of it or something. I dont any 32 pluging myself but i did. The old famous Nexus for example. Cant say if it works or not since i dont use it anymore but there are older pluging that will never be updated but still does a great job. In other words some of them aint possible to replace. I also understand its the way to go. Its over ea decade ago when the first 64 bits started come out. But i guess its easier to remove things than to add feautures that people asking for.

Yes its feels a little snappier and i havnt had any issues but i honstly dont like that they just ignoring facts and throw it aside for other easier tasks. I can understand people are upset. And the excuses that comes from Steinberg aint that good. But most of all i dont like that when things get to hard to handle for them, they close the thread. As a end of discussion.. Rude and i wonder how many users they lost over the years by doing things like that.

Anyhow, I think many of you that that hasnt updated yet could hold your horses. For me this update wasnt worth the money. They could have atleast put in something more than just an EQ and some polished GUI. Sampletrack, well it dont do anything that wasnt possible to do with Groove agent as far as i can see.

So, this is only my impression so far and i can only compare it to earlier bigger upgrades where we actually got some major changes. like 6.5 to 7 - 7 to 8 etc.. Even if it started to feel a little cheap. I could have passed this one but i didnt since i like to support a company that has suported me and my music for so many years. But i must admit that they start to fall behind in their way of thinking. A company that has been in the front row for almost 30 years and now call unlimited undo and redo in the mix a major update. Feels a little scary to be honest..

But i bite into this lemon and keep on smiling hoping they have bigger things to come in the future and this upgrade is just the fundation for that..

Keep on rocking guys..

Vaijj

18. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Don't forget the docker. Really a very big improvement. Several Daw's had it. Now I think a few will understand my ranting and raving about Cubase and which direction they are going in. I do not think it's the right one. Don't get me wrong I used it for quite some time and still do on rare occasions mostly to migrate my old projects to Reaper.

But they have so many unfixed bugs they need to address, yet keep the new stuff just coming and they talk about it like sliced bread was just created.

I agree several updates were really not worth the money and from I saw on the video this one is right up there also.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. LALALA

LALALA Kapellmeister

R U insider?

20. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

To be fair, I think the sampler tracks is a nice addition, but something other DAWs have had. I think since about version 6.5, Steinberg have been more of a refining the DAW and simplifying it, adding only small features. I wasn't impressed with recent updates that I had to fork out for and sold my 8.5 this year and replaced with Studio One. Cubase does have the best MIDI editing features out there, hands down, especially for composing scores, but other DAWs are catching up super quick due to this trickle, step-by-step (and small steps at that) approach Steinberg seem to be taking.