Cubase 9 is here.

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by Von_Steyr, Nov 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. m9cao

m9cao Producer

Studio one 3 50% off, has anyone noticed that?

2. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

I'm sorry if I raised hope with something stupid. It's probably what you all said, the grace period. I really didn't pay much attention when reading it.

But here's the good news: If you switch to Reaper you get 2 full version numbers per $60. Which means something like 3-4 years without the need to pay for any update. Just saying...
    :hillbilly:

3. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

What the heck led you to rate this as nasty, @m9cao ?
    A funny reply to a funny post...

4. homer_simpson

homer_simpson Platinum Record

I have info from a friend who already have cubase 9 pro as a beta tester (with a red elicenser) and he says that 9 will be out soon BUT with this version will be some plugin blacklist.... and many plugins from a huge developers are on that list... for example.... fabfilter plugs are blacklisted but kontakt plugs works fine.... we will see

5. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Is it a main change list? So no proper browser and bezier curves again? Well done Steinberg! :hillbilly:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  6. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Yea, Macao, i thought we were tight and now you go around disliking shit.
    Those girls dont deserve a dislike, they party like its 1999.:break:

7. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Well, I'm very likely to get it. I've worked in a lot of other DAWs and I get their advantages (every DAW is pretty damned capable these days, it's really the little things like workflow, etc that put you in bed with a particular DAW). But Cubase just clicks with the way I like to work. And I've been using it forever; so a lot of it is second nature at this point. Personally, I've had rock solid performance and stability from 8 and look forward to 9 quite a bit.

EDIT: Just noticed the plugin blacklist comment. If that's true, then I'll be sticking with what I have.

8. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Yeah man, agreed 110%. I can crack jokes all day long about how Studio One is a kiddie version of Cubase, but it's all just jokes. If S1 hadn't had an unforunate (which I guess turned out to be fortunate after all. All's well that ends well and so on) series of bugs on my system, culminating in a massive cpu-management fuckup I'd still be using it. It's definitely got an edge on Cubase in certain aspects of workflow. Likewise, Cubase does squat over S1 in other respects too.

Here's the thing though... I was never comfortable in Studio One. Even after I'd gone 99% legit I was using a warez copy of S1 and praying to every known deity that Ableton would add a comping tool to Live. I think some of it was the fact that their quest to make the speediest workflow ended up making the interface a bit cramped and claustrophobic for me. I just couldn't work in the mixer the way I wanted to. I couldn't add extra tracks without thinking about it, because I was always worried the project would become unmanageable. My first project in Cubase saw over twice the track count of my average Studio One project, simply because I could do it without anxiety over project management.

I was talking to Von about this recently - Cubase's feature set for showing/hiding parts of the track list and parts of the mix console makes an enormous difference. I don't know why, in Studio One it feels like something that's just there, almost as a menu preference for fairly static applications. In Cubase it's dynamic and interactive. It gives you intelligent macro options for showing and hiding tracks, multiple mixers and workspaces that you can switch between so you don't have to stop and reconfigure your UI when you change gears... etc. It's brilliant. Sure, S1 has a great workflow; I would never say otherwise. And some things in Cubase take a couple more clicks than in Studio One. But that doesn't even come close to telling the whole story about the difference in workflow, but try explaining that to someone who hasn't tried it. There's no comparison in my mind, however.

That said, I'm still kind of coming to grips with Cubase's automation. It feels a little archaic compared to Live, and especially compared to S1 and FL Studio

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I find this kind of hard to believe. Maybe that's just the beta? Why on earth would they do something like that?

10. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

I think I know what you mean. In Reaper it is easy as well (no macros needed, but you can set them up of course), just a click basically. And it indeed does make a difference. I don't like DAW GUIs that act like an anlog real world mixer desk (xx tracks, x busses, master, done), where you can't change anything to the needs of the actual project. In that regard Cubase has come a long way though. The first VST version, v3.5, featured a 32 track mixer - fixed!

11. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Yeah this is one of my biggest complaints with Live. The inability to hide tracks and make nested folders. Everything has to be right there in your way.

Well what I meant by macros in Cubase was that there are one-click options to show only tracks with audio events on them, or show only busses, or show only instruments, etc. There are also options to selectively show and hide all of one sort of track in a given project. Of course you can set up macros for stuff like this as well, but it's all right there and it makes an enormous difference for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. timer

timer Producer

I hope that activating the cheap 8.5 update last week qualifies me for the V.9 grace period.
    Activating the .5 updates 11 months late is a kind of hack that used to work for me before.

Btw: I've paid Steinberg for all updates since Cubase 1.0 on Atari ST, must have been a few thousand bucks.
    They should consider to provide me free updates for the rest of my life.

13. timer

timer Producer

While we're at it:
    All Windows users know that counting goes like "...7,8,10...".

10 days till Cubase 10?

14. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Yeah, I can't imagine them doing this either. I would imagine that an uncracked DAW + endless warez plugins = sales for Steinberg.

15. SOKRVT

SOKRVT Kapellmeister

rip my bank account i guess

16. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

17. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I agree. I feel bad if that black list plugins is for real in Cubase, but it would not surprise me, if they list is as a feature enhancement. LOL

18. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

It will be out on the 7th December. For the past 5 or so years now, since version 6 I think, they have always released on the first Wednesday in December.

19. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

Yeh, but they have always teased features in advance.
    Nothing but silence this time that i can see...

PS- The december release thing was from v7 in 2012

20. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

Logic, Sonar, Ableton, Reaper, they're all just a ripoff of Cubase.

As for Ableton, i don't know why it's so popular today, the GUI is absolutely horrible, the workflow is abysmal, everyone is praising Ableton just because it doesnt need a dongle and because it's been sold as the easyest DAW for DJs and other non-musicians.

Fine, but it still sucks in any way compared to Cubase.
    The hates can't use Cubase because they're neither musicians nor decent producers, i keep seeing crazy videos on youtube about people doing a total mess with Ableton in order to make things that could be done with cubase on atari !

I don't know if this world is going upside down or maybe i'm too old ?
    There was a time where 24 tracks were mooore than enough to make any song, now i see kids using up to 100 tracks, for what exactly i don't know, automation probably but ask yourself if your song sucks so much without a gazillion of FX and automation can you call yourself a musician ?

If asked, i can make a decent song with an ancient Roland Sound Canvas, cubase 2.0, a good mixer and a few FX ... and i don't think i'm a rare case.
    There's so much shit being published today and you can instantly hear it was made with ableton and loops and sample packs, shame on them, this is not music this is garbage, Trap music = Crap.

Studio One doesn't make any sense because while it's an easier option than Cubase sooner or later you will need the power of a real Cubase, so what's the point ?
    There must be a serious dumbing down in the young generation, all it takes is reading the cubase manual and all their questions will be answered, but nooo they will rather play with Ableton and loops instead of learning piano and a real DAW.

Reaper is the typical app that is neither fish nor flesh, it has good ideas and some good features not to mention the super cheap price, i would stick with it if i had to leave cubase.
    Logic and Sonar will die of natural death, Apple will soon kill OSX in one way or another, Music will get back to Windows where it belongs.

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Dislike x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • List