Cubase 9 is here.

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by Von_Steyr, Nov 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

yes i agree it's even too much feature packed but as you can read here everyone is still bitching about cubase lacking this or that compared to S1 or Ableton.
    indeed for newbie it's overwhelming the power of cubase but these are no longer simple midi sequencers like in the past, they're a whole digital studio .. imagine virtualizing a whole mixer + entire racks of FX and a dozen synths and expanders, of course the result is complex but it was complex also with analog gear, actually more complex if we remember all the hassle needed to make midi dumps and memory patches and then losing hours recalling presets by hand and no motorized sliders on the mixer.

i would never ever go back to analog machines, it's wasted time, anyone new to DAWs will think hardware machines are easier but they're sooo wrong, try composing a whole song from scratch and see the difference, i can make the final product all by myself with just the cpu power of a mid-range laptop, this is unthinkable with hardware gear, you would need 5-20K $ of gear at least.

so, starting from zero is a shocking experience and cubase in particular is looking hostle to newbies, and yet they've no other choice, isnt' Ableton overwhelming ? of course, but for whatever reason people think it's easier, maybe it's because of its christmas tree GUI ?

nothing is easy in today's computer music, actually it's getting more and more complex over time.
    either you invest a lot of time to stay up and running with the latest trends or you better stick with multi tracks or stuff like Garaga Bands, compose your demos and then pay somebody in a studio for the final mixing and mastering, which has been the norm even in the past for most of the musicians i know.

2. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

it's a shame because Digital Performer looks like a solid product, the use of Tabs is something that should be copied in every other DAWs for instance, i was asking for tabs already in the 90s, why no fucking tabs ? apart the tabs, Motu is too late to the party, it's impossible at this point to gain market share in the daw market even if you give your product away for free.

3. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

To each their own, I think it's great Cubase 9 is out and many love it..... I say more power to Cubase 9 for those who use and love it!

4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Will you smooth motha, you should go into politics, you would have been a great diplomat :)

5. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

Nope LOL, I'm wayyyyyy to honest and direct, almost to a fault, I've been called Spock so many times. I just meant what I said. I always see too much negativity when a new DAW or an upgrade comes out, I'm honestly happy for whomever uses that tool. You never see guys at the hardware store arguing over the new drill from Ryobi, lol. I love the different options we have, I use 5 different DAW's for different purposes, 2 are almost 20 years old and in some ways SMOKE all these modern DAW's. I only see them as tools that perform a task for me. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now then, my old friend Tech N9ne is as pure a politician as they come.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. timer

timer Producer

Nothing wrong with the update itself, but they should have called it "Cubase 8.75" and not charge for it.

That said, myself I can't complain, having activated the 8.5 update 2 weeks ago. Went from 8.0 to 9.01 for 50 bucks and jBridge seems to work ok.

What I really would like to see was a kind of "Cubase player" version: running without a dongle, no recording, no import, just playing back Cubase projects. I hate to take my dongles on the road and use other DAWs on my laptop just to avoid them. I even consider switching to Reaper. When I'm recording I need microphones, stands, preamps and converters anyway. No problem with a dongle then. For mixing I - more or less - just need a Beyer 880 headphone. With a "player" version at least I could work on a mix, now without dongle I have to play mine sweeper instead.

Like Yabiss starting with Pro 24 on Atari (btw: do you renember Pro 16 on C=64?) I have paid for every Cubase update since 1.0/Atari ST in the late 80s and I think that it's time to provide me with free lifetime updates for supporting the Steinberg company in its infancy. :winker:
    (Makes me think why all other old users had some Top 20 hits by now and I have not. Should work on my musicality or go for a MBA)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. timer

timer Producer

But since WillTheWeirdo mentioned "Paris" and I'm a complete Ensoniq junkie, I have to admit, that he is probably right in each imaginable way.
    Otoh I don't expect DAWs doing anything for me. There may be "friendly", intelligent tools, but I prefer to do it by myself.
    If that "human factor" isn't needed for some kind of music anymore I'll gladly play the other kind.
    Until then: just give me a recording tape...

8. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

just use Cubase Elements 8 or AI, no dongle, and no need for crack either, you can do all the basic stuff you would with cubase pro.
    it's often bundled with yamaha hardware, a friend of mine got it for free with a 100$ yamaha mixer.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Groundbreaking :)

10. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

I believe only the thread Cubase 9 out now.
    I don't believe the thread Cubase 9 is here.
    Where here? It's not here. It's there. Somewhere too far. Because it sounds like Cubase 9 is already here on AudioZ and everywhere you want, grab this right now, thanks audioutopia for this Christmas

Sorry for the stupid joke.

11. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Upgraded to 9er, will dl later to test this baby.

12. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Had to re-edit my message, something i rarely do.My compulsive ass was too quick to judge and my problems are gone now.
    Cubase 9 works great and love what they did to enhance the workflow.
    Stable and snappy.
    One happy user now :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  13. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Thanks for you honest opinion. I am not picking on you.

14. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

What's Cubase? :rofl:

15. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Ok, seems like i`ve figured it out.
    The project scroll lag and not registering mouse clicks and other weird behavior appear on the project i have been dragging along since a few versions back, it worked nice in 8.5 but its seems 9er doesnt like it at all?!
    Opened up a different project that i started in 8 and it works great with no issues like i have been experiencing yesterday.
    Also works snappier now, opens closes certain windows faster than 8.5
    Channel inserts open normal now.
    What a fucking relief...almost had my shit pushed in.
    [​IMG]