Cubase 9 is here.

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by Von_Steyr, Nov 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Pretty cool stuff, the more i think about it the more i think its actually a good update/release.

2. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

I have to excuse myself for a rather hard first report earlier about this upgrade. Sure i had big expectations and after a few hours checking performance, new feautures etc it felt a little weak for a major upgrade. I was honestly thinking about dropping it and just work with S1. But i also know that its not really where i wanna go despite some really nice feautures in S1. My working horse has always been Cubase. And me using Reaper or any other DAWs havnt worked before and for what i can see nothing has changed to the better in any of them in the way i use my DAWs.

So, i took a walk and then i went into a 12 hour session with C9 to really see what its all about. I really needed to see how it was to work with and dont care about what I WISHED should have been in it. And somehow once again, step by step theese Steinberg guys comes around doing things that seems logical. Sure there are things missing but im glad i really gave it a chance. So i feel ashamed almost that i was a little hard on this upgrade earlier. Sure, some thing needs to be looked at but hey, some of the later updates from my other DAW S1 hasnt been flawless either.

So, this time I say go ahead and upgrade, i dont think you will regret it. No matter who you are or what you wished for. Its stable as a rock and i really think that its snappier with less loading times etc. I guess it has to do with Sentinel. It blacklisted almost all iZotope plugins but they still run in vst3 and iZotope are aware of it and are in progress of fixing it.

Once again im sorry if i missled any of you to not upgrade since i can really recomend you guys to do it.

Be nice to each other guys
    Vaijj

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

and that's THE point.
    cubase is no-frills no bullshits DAW, there's no christmas-tree GUI, no skins, no bells and whistles, it's designed like a tank and it's delivering since 30 years.

users who lack IQ or logic should better stick with more freestyle DAWs like Ableton, all mouth and no trousers.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Meet my son, Von Steyr jr.I can fucking retire now. :hillbilly:
    [​IMG]

5. LALALA

LALALA Kapellmeister

So, you need go into ALive.
    Cubase it's shit. It's have an old core. As I said before - it need rewriting from zero.
    Every Cubease function have better realisation in S1. If you can't find it - so, you need Alive (in your terms).
    You can use that's your Crubase, it's your chose and right, but plz, stop writing this BS about other soft, which objectively much better(yeah, it's about S1) then this morally and technically outdated stuff Crockbase.

6. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Well.. I've spent a lot of time in Live, Samplitude, S1, Audition and Cubase, and played around in a handful of others. While about 75% of DAW preference is purely subjective, my experience suggests that for certain functions (incidentally, the ones that Live, my other DAW, sucks at) Cubase is just objectively better than a lot of DAWs. So you're both wrong. I'm pretty sure we've interacted on here before and I've found you to be a pretty reasonable dude, so I'll chalk it up to feeling like you need to fire back at this guy for being simultaneously condescending, wrong and ignorant as fuck. It's an understandable lapse in judgment.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

So after waiting for enough info to come out about the blacklists that I felt safe, I got the update. I feel like not much has been said about the interface redesign aside from the Lower Zone. So let me be one of the first to say, I dig it. I'm also spotting some little workflow features here and there that I haven't seen before. I don't know if they were added in C9 and just not paraded around like the major feature additions, or if I've just become more aware of them because of the way the UI has changed. Either way, first impressions are pretty good. I'm not a longtime Cubase guy who's growing frustrated and impatient with Steinberg for not incorporating some feature I've been asking for. I save that indignation for Ableton (lol). So even though it's not a revolution, I think there are enough small improvements to say I'm happy with it. I'll revisit this once I've spent several hours working in it and comment on how it handles the workload.

btw the only plugs of mine that it blacklisted were the Izotope VST2. I had them all tucked out of sight anyway, outside of my plugin manager configuration, since Cubase cooperates better with VST3 and all of Izotope's stuff comes in VST3. I was mightily relieved to find that nothing important to me was gonna cause any headaches. Fingers crossed that the compatibility problem with Cubase prompts Izotope to get off their asses and actually update Neutron.

8. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

There is not much to find about comparisons of all the DAWs, but I found some Top 5 lists. All the lists were from different sources, some from DJ sites, some from audio engineering sites, and some traditional music making sites. So of course all of the lists differ, but one thing is interesting: Cubase was #1 only on one list, while the other lists had Logic and Live as #1. On two lists Cubase wasn't even in the Top 5. Reaper was in 3 of the lists, but always with a small percentage. ProTools was in 4 lists, and #2 on the list where Cubase was #1. Other mentionings were Bitwig, Studio One and FL Studio.

Interestingly I could read a lot about Ableton Live lacking audio-editing/professional mixing, but would be great in midi (?) and Logic being the overall best DAW, because it handles everything just fine and comes at a reasonable price.

All in all I would say, all the lists are completely different to what the audiosexers say. Do we audiosexers have no clue, or are the lists missing something?

9. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Option 3: Making a top 5 list of something that is mostly subjective is a dumb project only engaged in by people who need to drive traffic to their website :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  10. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

:thumbsup: And they succeeded in my case :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  11. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

LoL, @tulamide You could make a Top 5 of the Top 5 Lists.

12. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

What a brilliant idea! It will become the ultimate Top 5 list, nobody is interested in!

(btw., before I got to the lists I searched for selling numbers. Unfortunately they are only available in small areas. For example, the biggest music gear trader in Germany, "Musikhaus Thomann", sold 2000 copies of Cubase (Pro and Artist combined) from beginning of january to end of september 2016. That's one trader, of several dozens in Germany alone, let alone world-wide. Well sometimes curiosity is just time wasting)

13. yabiss

yabiss Platinum Record

I wish that was the case for me. Being a Cubase user for...mmmhhh ...about the pre cubase times with pro 24...i have several synths only available in 32 bits. And that's it...

Has anyone info on Cubase 9 working with 32 bits only plugins and JBridge 1.75 beta before i make a leap of faith? :snuffy:

14. timer

timer Producer

On the Mac side jBridgeM-ed plugins seems to work basically. At least they load and play.

15. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

There are lots of people on the Steinberg forums that say it works with Jbridge on Windows, but on certain Mac OS's there are still problems with Jbridge. I've seen people saying they have reached out to the dev of Jbridge and that said dev is normally very good about responding to and working on bug reports. Who knows... fingers crossed for you guys.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

While I respect opinions, and we all know Von Steyr loves yours, lol..... I have to disagree, In my 3 times of looking at, and using Cubase, I found it to be the most frills DAW ever created, it has everything. I say it with respect, seriously it's the most feature packed DAW ever created with so many bells and whistles, it was overload for me. Most common current DAW features have been copied from Cubase, or been ideas from Cubase then advanced in different directions. It's one seriously powerful but complex DAW.

As DAW's are a personal choice, my 148-153 IQ found Cubase to be just too much, almost like a feature overload where I had to learn a NASA like space travel DAW, but I just wanted to drive a few miles to hit the grocery store. It slowed my creative process down rather than speed up, which frustrated me as I have a few pro friends that crush it, but all of them have been Cubase users for over a decade. Unfortunately, Cubase and I have just never clicked and I don't have years to dedicate to learning a new DAW.

So the record is clear, I currently use Studio One v3 and Live 9.7 for creative purposes, Reaper 5 for all Nebula work, and Ensoniq PARIS or PTHD2 for fast latency free tracking. Next year I may give Bitwig, Sampletude and Cubase 9 a go, to see if any fit me in 2017.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Will, i`ve been a good boy lately.:no:
    I say test the elements 8 version to get a feeling of how it works its not artist or pro but you can get an idea of what its like using the modern cubendo, mixer , channel strip, etc....its on the sister site.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. vladdrac

vladdrac Kapellmeister

Stay away from Digital Performer then, most confusing DAW I've ever used.

19. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

hahaha cheers mate !!

20. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

v1.75 is reported to work in the steinberg forum but not the previous versions.
    in any case, why so many users are still on 32bit plugins in 2016 ??

if you need total retro-compatibility you can make a VM with winXP and cubase 5 or even cubase SX and run on VMware.
    R2R ported some vintage 32bit plugins a few months ago, give it a try.