Cubase 9 is here.

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by Von_Steyr, Nov 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Of course man, you were perfectly polite. I didn't mean you. But I know how things go around here. People seem especially keen to blast Cubase, right after Pro Tools.

2. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Yeah I think I addressed this a few replies after the one you quoted. Maybe not, might've been a different thread.

I call them macros but that's just the most succinct, most accurate way to describe it. They're not macros; they're built in to the program. There is command to, for instance, show only tracks with audio content on them. (not simply audio tracks). Other stuff like that. Makes it really quick to get very close to showing only what you need with minimal fuss

FWIW I really liked working in S1, minus perhaps the mixer. Like I said before the switch to Cubase was just a consequence of a quirk with S1 and my production computer. In the end it just turned out by dumb luck that I'm happier working in Cubase than I was in S1. I'm an Ableton Live guy at heart, so I only use Cubase for the stuff that Ableton sucks at or doesn't have - vocal recording, comping, VariAudio, to name a couple. One thing that I can't live without now and didn't know I needed was Track Versions. If S1 had that, I didn't know about it. They should really get on board with Track Versions. Massive, massive upgrade for me.

3. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Hey @Von_Steyr how do I open a backup of an existing project? Something happened and I lost like 10 vocal takes. Not sure if it was a user error or not, but I'd like to get them back if possible

4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

File-Open-(open the project folder)-all file types or backup file.
    Should be there if backups are enabled, auto save option.

5. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Thanks bro. Just realized I can just drag them in from the pool as well, as long as I have a track with all 11 lanes.

6. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

You still don't get it: I'll try to reiterate it so you can understand.
    Everybody uses whatever the fuck they want. What works for you doesn't have to work for somebody else, if many pros use cubase it's because many studios have been using Cubase for a long time. Which is the very exact reason many big studios use Pro Tools, and they are somehow an industry standard. Besides, nobody here is saying cubase is not a valid daw. Make peace with your inner self.
    My workflow is compatible with what S1 has to offer, multi instruments, custom chain trees with native frequency splitting, folder to bus and so on. Cubase is lacking many features many other daws have, just like other daws are lacking features cubase might have, which is normal since they are diffrent programs, I personally decided to switch to s1.

I'll say it one more time, give it another shot and try to understand it: TO EACH THEIR OWN.

You know, being so vocal about calling cubase the best daw (when there is no best daw, just what works best for you) and defending it even when it obviously has flaws (which is normal) just confirms that it's a daw like any other.
    And please, don't start again on the "which daw sounds better" thing, it's already beed debunked and the only difference is src artifacts, which are not even audible for the most part.

7. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

Anyway, let your work speak for itself, bragging about other pros using a certain daw won't make your compositions better, and for all that matters judging a daw by its testimonials is a really poor argument.

8. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

My answer was a little rough back there, i agree.
    Yea, i agree there is no perfect DAW, its also not a fashion competition.

:cheers:

9. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

I'm really glad you seem to be a lot more reasonable than you used to be few months ago.
    :cheers:

10. shomyca

shomyca Producer

No it's not, it's the same behavior as in 8.x.

11. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Yea, i was a bit of an ass back then.

12. LALALA

LALALA Kapellmeister

Where exactly Cubase higher then S1? And what is "big prj" for you? Cuz in S1 you don't have any limitation and you can work on more then one prj and copy/paste between them.
    PT and Cubase in major studios it's just inertia.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  13. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Thanks for the info.Will update later, im certainly not in a hurry after seeing what is offered in the 9er.

14. shomyca

shomyca Producer

Well the mixer history alone sold me the update, didn't care for other... I don't belong to the market for which this update were made for. We'll see if there is some other nice under the hood improvements.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

Roland and EMU samplers were far superior to the AKAIs but all the studios were stuck with AKAI till the end, same for cubase/ableton/protools vs S1/reaper/sonar/FL, it's a matter of sticking to the industry standard, long term ROI, and much more.

the future of the DAW market is less daws, not more daws.
    one day we will reach the same situation as in DTP and photography where Adobe owns 70-80% of the whole market.

besides, given the importance of modern FX plugins and sound libraries the DAWs are more and more irrilevant : i need omnisphere and kontakt much more than i need cubase and there's nothing steinberg can do about it unless they beat spectrasonics and NI and fabfilter and waves and UAD at their own game and bundle a fully loaded super duper daw to lock me in their "walled garden".

i don't think there's space anymore for monolithic vertical solutions from a single vendor, everything is modular now and rightly so, actually we need more modularity and open standards.

there's been only two new big things in the recent years affecting pro-audio, SSD drives and big screens.
    for anything else, to each his own, and business as usual.

16. Omman

Omman Ultrasonic

The lower zone has been in Logic Pro like forever that's where the idea comes from as copied by Studio One and many others and now implemented at last in Cubase. I bought Cubase Elements 6 to try it and upgraded up to version 8 and I think that track comping should have been included in version 9.

No, you have to pay more that 300.$ to get what is included basically in many light version of other DAW. Shitty Steinberg.

But the biggest problem I have with Steiny Cubase is that with every update you loose compatibility with a lot of previous system, well on Mac anyway, forcing you to upgrade your computer and system and that is pretty insane.

I know some will say get a PC but for me it has been Mac since the beginning of computers. Now you need minimum ElCapitan OSX 10.11 and pretty soon it will be osSierra 10.12 and so Cubase for me is out the window. They are stupidly and progressively loosing their mac customers moving to other platform like Studio One, Reaper etc.. but it looks like they don't even care.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  17. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I think next releases will see interesting collaborations between Steinberg and boutique plugin developers like Acustica(wishful thinking).

18. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Those are very relevant observations, and it is the big question.
    i think some daw manufacturers will adapt to the new deal and the future references in the studio will be the ones that do.
    And Cubase or protools (or Samplitude the one I use, I'm not dissing those two daws) or all the daw that want to make the consumer use their internal plugins or solutions rather than make sure that the external fxs or hardware or other manufacturers fxs plugins are well integrated will stay behind.
    All in all rather than bikering on which daw is able of what when they all pretty much can do anything, the real relevant questions rely here in this challenge of the future daw, allowing good workflow but also good interactions with other audio products.

19. SOKRVT

SOKRVT Kapellmeister

inb4 cubase 9 appear on sister site :x

20. 1337fcknwo

1337fcknwo Noisemaker

I received Grace Period Update for 30€!! :D I bought an update from Pro 8 to 8.5 in July 2016 when they had their Summer Sale. I paid 30€ for this update, but didn't activated yet cause' I knew there'd be an upgrade to Pro 9 by the end of 2016.
    Now I only paid 30€ for a upgrade from Cubase Pro 8 to Pro 9.

Pro 8 was great (User of Cubase 5 / 5.5 for many years until release date of Pro 8 end 2014)!
    But I do like the new things I saw like DAW own Sampler and Mixer Undo and Little Zone down in the main window.

Did not installed it yet, but I will! What do you guys think about it?