Cubase 5 to Cubase 9 ! ?

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by akashaman, Feb 3, 2017.

1. akashaman

akashaman Guest

hi all :
    new here ; just wanted to see what i was in for as i am about to Buy Cubase 9 , upgrading from the infamous 5.1 , which i have been running for , well - you know about how long ! :)

just curious who has already taken the plunge to 9 , what u think so far , what i might be in for , etc .

very excited about thuis venture !

also interested in keyscape creative patches , anyone seen these around ?!

thanks all

aka

3. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

5.1 was and still is great imo.
    What you will get with the new version?A lot faster workflow, 64bit support, great Retrologue 2 synth which costs 100$ if bought alone.
    Overhauled mixer with dozens of more possibilities, history undo, channel strip, new plugins, rendering midi and audio tracks, new automation and midi options, asio guard, vca faders, chord pads, lower zone, sampler track, side chaining vst3 plugins, control room added features, i could go on and on....a ton of added features.
    Its snappier, opens faster...its a beast.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. mudworm43

mudworm43 Guest

I did just that, from a cracked version of Cubase 5 to a legit version of Cubase 9 Pro
    It's worth the money definitely, the workflow is so much more fluent, followed by a ton of really helpful features which I'm sure you already did your research on and are familiar with
    I haven't experienced any bugs or any kind of problems with it so far and would definitely recommend the upgrade

5. Guillermo Navarrete

Guillermo Navarrete Kapellmeister

Hi,

Plus all the cool features that where implemented in Cubase 6 and Cubase 6.5 like:

Drum editing, new transient and tempo detection.
    Automatic tempo detection
    Lane tracks
    Track Edit Groups
    Note expression was introduced in this version
    VST Expressions compatible with VST 3
    VST Amp Rack
    Padshop
    Comp system got improved
    You can upload directly to Soundcloud
    Cubase 6.5 integrated suport for FLAC format
    ReWire in 64 bit

And I am missing a lot, you will have a steep learning curve though...

Best regards,
    GN

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Medrewb

Medrewb Platinum Record

I think the BIGGEST change log will be
    • You, finally getting a legit Copy of Cubase PRO
    Which is at the end of the day, all the 'Groups' want. We need more people like that.

7. akashaman

akashaman Guest

thanks all !
    wow , sounds amazing , yes long over due for sure.
    such great software , i have been out of the recording loop for a bit , but ready to take the plunge again &
    have been saving for the real deal ! ha
    i was gonna get the 8.5 on ebay & then upgrade to 9 ?

thanks again

8. vibrate on

vibrate on Newbie

i am in the exact same position than akashaman, and i installed from cubase 9.0.1 elements from team VR for test purpose, but just to facing an incredibly amount of crashes

this is on a fresh new installed up to date optimized w7 x64 system (i7 2600k, 8go ram SDD focusrite 18i6) (enormous work as i was in strickly 32 bits installed plugins, for cubase 5.1...)

one of the main crash is re-doable every time for me, could you try it on a legit cubase 9 pro because it stop me from buying it , i just installed cubase 8 element from VR and running like a charm...

So here it is:

on an empty project:

- create a fx channell with REVelation stock plugin
    - create an instrument track with Groove agent SE
    - In preference, please tick: "connect audio send to new channel" under VST, PLugins
    - on the instrument track activate all the OUTS at once, then:

instant crash (among other when project start to be really loaded), but everything ok under cubase 8 element

could you guys try under pro 9 ? i cant afford to buy an instable cubase

thanks a lot

9. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Don't worry vibrate :) Steinberg is on scene for very long period, and everything will be fine. If HZ is not worried why would you? :)

10. Jesus Rivera

Jesus Rivera Member

Cubase 9 Is not really good, you can't run 32 bit plugins :(

11. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

No crash here on 9 pro

12. vibrate on

vibrate on Newbie

thank you gangamstyle ! anybody else?

13. mudworm43

mudworm43 Guest

you can always use Jbridge but nevertheless, it's a small 'downside' to it in comparison to what you gain by upgrading

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Resonator

Resonator Kapellmeister

Doesn't make it bad, if you really need to run 32bit then there's wrappers to do that no problem , If you need old 32 bit for legacy projects, your much better leaving the old programs on computer along with your new version, or just keeping your old computer for old projects lot less hassle I've found over the years.

15. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

If you buy 9 you can have 8.5(which supports 32bit plugins) also installed.
    You can have all versions installed on your pc if you have the latest licence.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

If it were not for the 64bit support, I would be still using Cubase 5.1.

So IMO, the lack of 64bit support is alone enough to make the upgrade worth it.

If money is a problem, than Reaper is a very good alternative... or down the illegal road, You can always choose PT12.3, Studio One...

In practical terms, the difference between 8-9 and 5.1:

the new Cubase runs faster, uses less resources and has almost a decade worth of development in it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. BDrake

BDrake Noisemaker

No crash here on 9 pro either. I use all 64 bit plugins but as Von said you can use 8.5 if you have 32 bit plugins . Iv'e been using Cubase since 5(5 is Awesome!) as well and the difference is day and night. 9 Pro for me is the best of them all. The interface is way more friendlier to navigate which was a big deal for my work flow. I love the static transport panel over the floating one and the routing is way better than 5 as well. Choices of how you lay out your work space has improved. The sampler track is a nice addition and fun to play with. So as you can see I really like it and I have no issues and no I have no affiliation with Steinberg in any way. I'm just really happy with this DAW.:grooves:

18. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

It has cochones :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. yabiss

yabiss Platinum Record

Great DAW but i stick with 8.5. I just hate VST Sentinel. It does not only blacklist 32 bits plugins but a bunch of legit 64 bits too. What a piece of crappy component...

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. akashaman

akashaman Guest

wow , thanks for all the info !
    i did not realize 9 only supported 64 bit plugins , that`s not gonna work for me.
    sounds like 8.5 will be fine for now :)
    that will save me a couple bills anyway !
    still gonna be a few light years jump for me as it is..

21. Jesus Rivera

Jesus Rivera Member

You are Paying $579.99 and you don't get to have a bridge for your 32 bit old projects plugins, to me this a waste of money, even Reaper is cheaper and you can use your 32 bit plugins. Cubase is great, but 9 is not so great, you need to get more for paying 99.99 for an update. i think cubase is investing more in securing their product.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List