Cubase 13 Random Audio Peaks [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by lysergyk, Dec 6, 2023.

1. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

As for me I'll just stick with C12 and Reaper, until C13 gets fixed. C12 works very well.

2. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

I tried something else to see and it seemed to work at first but didn't:rofl: ...anyway it may be something to look into for some as it does make a difference regarding latency issues

I used microsoft's Interrupt Affinity policy tool to "split" some of processes/devices. I have 20 cores so I dedicated 4 (16-19) to stuff related to notorious latency causing windows files (like acpi) and anything related to audio would go to all other cores. I didn't really have latency issues but now it's even lower in latency monitor.

I give up trying, I found that Steinberg themselves advise against using 12th and 13th gen intel proc so that speaks volumes about their skills....Cubase is definitely not worth that much of my time :bleh:

EDIT: also reading the release notes for C13, I guess I got the answer to my question. I have an intel13th gen, but I run win 10 ...so better I'd get win 11 and C13...

Hybrid CPU support
    We have invested a lot of time and effort in optimizing and testing Cubase 13 for hybrid-architecture CPUs, and we are happy to offer full support for both Windows and Mac.

https://www.steinberg.net/cubase/release-notes/13/

EDIT 2: over xmas tried 11 and C13....well pretty much the same thing...maybe win 12 and C14 will cut it! haha

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
  3. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

a bit of an update for what it's worth, as I had some time over the past couple of days, I gave it another and final try :winker: ....and actually made it work.
    So if anyone meets the same problem, you can try to do the following: (no need for registry hacks, disabling devices etc, as none of these have worked for me.)

You'll just need process lasso (I got a full version) ....and a bit of patience:
    This was done with win 11 23H and C13
    with lasso I gave Cubase, nvchost audiosrv (and a couple of aother audio related processes like audio end point builder) -> high priority class and high i/o priority (it will automatically reassign other linked processes). I also downgraded all that could be to below normal (use common sense here!)
    then I tried several combination of P and E cores priorities and one eventually worked out good.

I have 20 cores 12+8 so for cubase and audio proc, they all go on P cores 4-11, no E-cores, using CPU priority, even though these are not necessarily the least used CPUs according latency monitor.
    Everything else goes on 0-3 and 12-19. Some system processes can't handle "affinity" but you can still use "CPU set" to try and divert them (though some, like registry and system, won't even accept this either)
    Obviously this works for me but you may have to try different combinations depending on your system.

When setting things up this way, C13 has no spikes at all. But if I check latency monitor, there are quite a few random ones (due to nvidia, as I use multiple screens). Audio remains unaffected whatsoever, so I won't lose any sleep over it.

I tried multiple mid-size projects (30-40 tracks) with quite a few plugins for more than 3 hours and C13 ran very smoothly, with still plenty of CPU headroom available too.

hopefully we won't have to go through all this in the near future but for now it works :mates:

now back to Reaper :rofl:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

I update this last post of mine, as I happened upon something that's simple and yet pretty efficient some time ago to solve random spikes in C13. I tested it and it definitely works, so that may be useful to others. It also helps with audio in general.

Of course for this to work as intended, you need to begin by running the ultimate power plan in windows and deactivating invasive crappy services like search, updates, orchestrator and so forth.

Once this is done, the last step is to deactivate InSpectre (there's a free tool by the Gibson research corporation..don't forget to reboot for it to work!). After that spikes are gone (and latency is improved at the same time). :yes: