Cubase 13 Random Audio Peaks [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by lysergyk, Dec 6, 2023.

1. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

I installed Nuendo 13 yesterday evening to check quickly and got the same issue. But C12 is doing OK, so that must be what you say.
    C13 only starts to behave when buffer is set to 512, and it doesn't do much better than C12 at 128, it's crazy:rofl:.
    My CPU is actually an intel i7 13th Gen and the problem definitely comes from whatever change(s) they made in C13. No other DAW I tried behaves this way either, they were all running pretty smoothly as expected...
    Wait and see then, I'm just curious to learn what is causing it ...next update maybe. In the meantime, beware if you plan to update to C13, it's not necessarily better!

2. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

after reading your message I went back and tested all ports, just to make sure ...and surprisingly enough, one of them made a difference. Prior to that, I had tested 2 ports (out of 3) and of course the one I had left alone is the one that turns out to work best :rofl:
    Still, that doesn't explain what it is that they have changed in C13, since C12 handles all ports fine. C13 fails miserably with 2 of them but on that last one I had not tried, C13's performance is back to normal (same as C12's).
    So the problem is partially solved :)

3. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Unfortunately no. All pre fader post sends require making another track.

4. Zoketula

Zoketula Guest

Good to hear it changed something. It's a weird one for sure. Another thing is that some USB 2 audio devices don't like running on a 3.x port and maybe put the device alone on a USB bus.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

my interface is an IK Axe i/O (USB 2.0) and all ports are USB 3.2 Gen 1 but in this case there would be a problem with all DAW since it would be a hardware related issue, and it's clearly not the case . The issue is clearly caused by C13 (and Nuendo 13 for that matter). I really wonder what it is that is different in the way C12 and 13 handle audio...at first sight this new version does not seem like a major overhaul. :dunno:

6. kokorico

kokorico Platinum Record

Ok, thanx for the info!

7. Dr. Black

Dr. Black Producer

8. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Did you run latencymonitor already? I got once fucked up with GPU drivers update

9. Dr. Black

Dr. Black Producer

There must be a tool or plugin for that "pre fader post pan sends"
    https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_MB7Mixer/

10. kokorico

kokorico Platinum Record

11. Actinoo

Actinoo Newbie

It seems the problem is related to the CPU. If you deactivate core 0 for Cubase or Nuendo the peaks disappear, I deactivated core 0 for Cubase and it started working wonderfully but Cubase activates core 0 again. Does anyone know of a way to permanently disable Core 0 of CPU to some programs?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2023
  12. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

That should help. I have no intention to go through such hassle as my DAW is Reaper, and it's Steinberg's job to solve this type of issue, but if you do give it a try, let me know how it goes :winker:

https://bitsum.com/tools/cpu-affinity-calculator/
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ity-with/4e83fd39-34a7-49fe-a54a-ee891c38b737
    https://forums.presonus.com/viewtop...problems&sid=66e6ac164e456536d46362c7877d43e0

13. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Is core 0 the actual physical core & core 1 the virtual one?

14. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

I guess that generally it's the way it is (in which case core 1 is actually thread 1 of core 0) but I guess the CPU architecture may also vary depending on the manufacturer. You can check with HWiNFO

15. Actinoo

Actinoo Newbie

The problem disappears in Cubase or Nuendo.
    You can download Process Lasso: https://dl.bitsum.com/files/processlassosetup64.exe disable core 0 in Cubase and Nuendo.

You must install Process Lasso and perform this process in Cubase or Nuendo or both. Remember that once the process is finished, you should not uninstall Process Lasso.

1. Open Cubase or Nuendo, process Lasso.

2. From the list of processes, select Cubase or Nuendo and right click and under CPU Affinity (select CPU Affinity) and CPU Settings, click always, and uncheck CPU 0 only.

Desktop 17-12-2023 22-23-49-346.png Desktop 17-12-2023 22-27-21-385.png Desktop 17-12-2023 22-25-05-948.png Desktop 17-12-2023 22-25-12-110.png

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  16. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Every person here and everyone in the world who owns a home or business computer is the end-user.
    People may think I am silly when I suggest that the issue started with Windows 95 and snowballed to every facet on every platform of development, including MAC's and their dev's. If you were around then you'd know.

BRIEFLY - Microsoft rush BETA'd Win95 and it trashed a pile of hard disks. They fixed that with one thing which has remained ever since and it has snowballed into a place where we ultimately lose. The EULA. If you read it, clearly it states Microsoft is not responsible for any damage to your hardware caused by their software. The H/W manufacturers countered with they are not responsible for any damage to your data or software caused by their hardware. Moving forward, NVIDIA, AMD/Radeon and EVERY developer has done exactly the same thing.

Anyone who has not experienced a graphics driver issue at least once that had to be fixed, is very lucky because a large proportion have. IRL bluescreen errors are more than often, graphics, and if they have HDMI audio, can cause spikes since PC's removed forced IRQ's.

The answer? Is it Cubase? Perhaps and perhaps not - but considering how many developers release products with the logic of "It worked on our systems, that's fine, release it", is astronomical. The reality - you are at the mercy of anything computer-based with an absolute "Buy and use at your own risk".

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  17. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

using process lasso to deactivate core 0 helped C12 even further, there's hardly any noticeable peak now, but it didn't work for C13 and I found that for some reason C13 is always reactivating C0, which is probably why it keeps peaking significantly higher than C12.
    It's properly set up in the "all processes" tab but whenever I check it in the "active processes" tab, C0 is activated. All other parameters are the way I set them, only C0 keeps being reactivated...If anyone has an idea...

18. Actinoo

Actinoo Newbie

Are you modified in "always" tab in CPU settings?.

19. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

I've been using the Process Lasso affinity setting for sometime now. Still getting random peaks... Yesterday i decided to demo Vienna Ensemble Pro 7. Hosting Arturia, REFX & Spectrasonics stuff in it. No more random spikes... Fucking Steinberg needs to fix their shit. I could have 1 or 2 Arturia Anal Lab instances in Cubendo not even playing anything & the CPU meter would spike randomly. Today I had 12 instances of Anal Lab hosted in VEP 7 playing a pretty CPU intensive patch with no spikes clicks or pops. YES I KNOW thats because they arent hosted in Cubase technically. But its a work around Im willing to do until Steinberg fixes their shit... End of rant

20. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

I did both, but before I had used the task manager (as you can also choose affinity there, and it shows that core 0 is disabled)...maybe a bug, I'll try again tonight

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023