Cubase 12: The Expectations

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by adsasdasd, Jan 5, 2022.

Tags:
  1. adsasdasd

adsasdasd Ultrasonic

I want to read your opinions about what do you think about the Cubase's place amongst modern DAWs. It is one of the earliest attenders and still in the top level. Or is it?

What do you expect from the latest version? And what are your thoughts about the Cubase in general?

Cubase for ATARI

Cubase_For_Atari.png

Cubase 11 Pro

AqgqrVMRvWaWsCTakSJTKE.jpg

Mr. Zimmer enjoying his own Synth in Cubase 8 (maybe 7 I really don't know) (or maybe 9) (it is not version 5 I am sure about that) (and also clearly it is not 10 or above)

Jda9NsfWXZsuEv1of4yMwfaP.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  3. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

i been with Cubase every since version 5 ....Cubase is most definitely one of the oldest daw's on the market but fully suited with great plugins and functionality but i never left it i would say this after all the years of me using Cubase the Cubase 11 update was my favorite update way worth it and im happy i invested into Steinberg i most definitely will be buying the upgrade to 12 in a couple of months when it comes out ........when it comes to midi functions and the chord track Cubase shines so well within that category and plus the lovely logical editor thats equipped with it makes it my favorite i do use Reaper from time to time but Cubase will always be my favorite of all time and i really know my way around Cubase because i been using it for so long

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. adsasdasd

adsasdasd Ultrasonic

The logical editor is brilliant I agree. It needs some improvements like GUI resize, dynamic presets etc. But it is one of the best features in Cubase.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

started with Atari and Cubase .... stayed with cubase to this day ... Everything is fine here... no reason to complain

see attached photo

20220106_004114.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. adsasdasd

adsasdasd Ultrasonic

There's always an opening for improvement to me. We are just so used to work with the way we work, thus we think there can't be something more. But then always, a beautiful minded individual comes and changes the game. Those individuals were in the inital Cubase team. And also in the team that created the VST standard.

7. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

Never change a running system ...Huston, we have NO PROBLEM here:hillbilly:

cubase / the steinberg team have had a very long development time, it is not that steinberg has copied everything from others. Cubase has an extremely strong foundation.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Joe Crisp

Joe Crisp Platinum Record

The problem with modern DAW's is the software companies are more concerned with adding new features to an already buggy system instead of fixing the current versions, they're notorious for adding unnecessary bloatware to a crippled system, but as soon as a new version pops up, the masses are clamoring for it......just my two cents

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Atlantis84

well said u right most of the time we so used to things that we can't see it being better sometimes when things are changed and easier we go crazy about it before we even try out the new feature or idea the human brain is just programmed like that at times we are all guilty of this some part of our lives of doing it lol

10. Joe Crisp

Joe Crisp Platinum Record

Cubase still has a strong following and many devoted users, but has far more competition than it did say 10 years ago, it and Pro Tools both are losing ground in the DAW market, and with Reaper improving and updating on a regular basis, I think most of the "big dogs" won't be so big in a few years.....

11. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

I'd likely still be on Cubase, if not for the price. I think I went to version 7 or something.. maybe 6.something, then didn't want to pay for upgrades anymore. A bit too pricey for this cheapo amateur, so I switched to Reaper. I also didn't want to buy watered down Cubase version for lower price. It is great though, and as a MIDI/VST guy, there are points where I miss it.. but I think I'll be sticking to Reaper.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Atlantis84

i swear i been thinking the same for a couple years then i remember that Steinberg is owned by older Hippie guys and they have some very strong ego's the fact they created the vst format and innovated a lot of other things some ego was built from those accomplishments and at times u cant tell them shit they going to do what they want when they want no matter how many bugs they should fix .........its just a different generational mind set i still love them im so used too them i just know i will not be leaving no matter how many issues i do want to be resolved i just learned how to accept the gift and the curse

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. B00nD0ggie

B00nD0ggie Kapellmeister

I started with Cubase VST32 (zone, hehehe) had no clue what I was doing (musically) but made so many sketches, soon I picked up Ableton after Cubase 5 (AirISO), never really turned back, until one day found an old hard drive with all my Cubase sketches on it (i actually did make that back up!). So started again with Cubase 8 then 10, then 11... I still never finished those sketches, I don't even have Cubase installed. It was not like riding a bike, after using Ableton for so long. Nothing came back, even natively or logically, not that I really had a complete grasp in Cubase in the first place (can some please tell me wtf is an interactive phrase synthesizer is??? lol). I want to love Cubase but it seemed overly complicated to do one thing. It's something that can't be changed now, they're not gonna overhaul the software anytime soon (but then again, they did overhaul it from VST32 to SX then to the # versions...)
    I wish Steiny luck with it. It's not bad software, but I was really amazed at how much more intuitive, for me, Live was.

14. adsasdasd

adsasdasd Ultrasonic

I do agree to you that Live is easier compared to Cubase, but also maybe the reason for that is because the Live is less sophisticated compared to Cubase.

When I first took a peek to Live I was shocked how inspiring it was. But than going deeper with it, I found that its capabilities were limitied for my genre and working style. It didn't even let me edit multiple midi events at the same time (that was a while ago, now they added that "FEATURE")

So the final point is, yes I really like Ableton Live but it lacks the tools and workflows for my and a lot people's use cases.

15. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

but I was really amazed at how much more intuitive, for me, Live was. (( and that's the point !! )) ..There is NO BEST DAW ...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. B00nD0ggie

B00nD0ggie Kapellmeister

yeah, but WTF is the interactive phrase synthesizer??? :dunno: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

17. patatern

patatern Platinum Record

all daws these days are very very similar on many aspects of audio producing,
    expecially for electronic music related genres: audio editing, plugins management

I remember when midi editing was a joke in "Fruity Loops" and ProTools,
    now it's almost the same for all daws, like never happened

but if you want:
    -deep control on tons of external midi synthesizers
    -great latency for playing and composing/scoring
    -SERIOUS SCORE EDITOR for composing and printing parts
    -do everything from composition to mixing in one place

no matter whats your genre of music,
    you can only go for Cubase

(only Logic comes close to cubase about these 4 points)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. B00nD0ggie

B00nD0ggie Kapellmeister

Wasnt making a point about best daw, just relating my experience...

19. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

and i only wrote it as a general opinion

20. Atlantis84

So @Deceptive are u excited about Steinberg getting rid of the Dongle?

21. patatern

patatern Platinum Record

and I would like to point a thing

Cubase and Logic are 2 DAWs based on a specific concept: to emulate a physical studio, a true hardware workflow. Means that if you are used to work on a true mixer desk with aux sends, inserts and BUSSes routings (ALL LIMITED...) you will be feeling at home from the first moment.

But if you started on a laptop with just a 2 octaves midi keyboard then FL, Ableton, Reaper will have faster approaching workflow

you can win the grammy either ways, obv, but that's just a different approach

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List