Cubase 12 problem during booting

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by Aya, Jul 22, 2023.

1. Aya

Aya Member

I'm using Cubase 12, but 'sometimes' it freezes while booting showing the text 'Initializing: Content license check 10 contents'.

It happens on both case of 'legit installer + R2R' license' and 'R2R's release + R2R's license', regardless of program version.

I found a few thread on the internet written by some people who underwent similar problem, but not many... so I presume this is something to do with 'personal' PC environment. However I couldn't find any critical clue yet...

All I could do was just deleting those involved content files in the path 'C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound'

It works well, so after that maneuver, no more freeze while booting, but I think it is merely a kind of temporary cheat, not a fundamental solution.

Anyone has a good suggestion for this matter?

Thanks in advance.

3. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

Have a look in Documents/Steinberg/Crashdumps to see what the problem is.

4. Aya

Aya Member

Hi. thanks for the comment.

I checked the path you mentioned, but there was no dump file.

In my question above, I said just 'freeze', but actually it's not a complete freeze...

When it freezes and after quite a time(maybe about 1~2 minutes?) passes, Cubase pops up another window on which the message 'License check for content could not be completed! Do you want retry?' is written.

Either way of clicking 'Retry' or 'Ignore Content' button on that window proceeds booting and Cubase opens, and no dump file is generated.

Too sad...

5. pon_pon

pon_pon Ultrasonic

6. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

I have legit Cubase and I 've never had that problem. I think the people with that problem are the ones who are not first time installers. After a while your registry gets messed up from installing and uninstalling.

I'd do an uninstall, clean out all related files and clean out your registry with something like ccleaner. reboot and re-install.

7. pon_pon

pon_pon Ultrasonic

i think is a problem with old computers with old asio drivers, in my new laptop never happen, but in old machine (clean install, only windows 11 and cubase) sometimes (5% or so ) crash . . .
    But when open again said, no ASIO DRVERS FOUND, because drivers hang until reset machine.
    Maybe is a problem in DMA with nvidia, asio, cubase . . . is a problem relat to a setup, but is in the code of legit cubase, no on the silk . . .

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

It's like those people who build a house at the edge of a cliff, right next to the ocean.

in the thread linked above: Lukas1 "If I can’t get anywhere doing what you said, I will reformat the machine."

Obviously not this guy's first Cubase on Windows Rodeo. Thread marked solved after reformatting system drive. I used to use Partition Magic to split and resize the system drive to make reformatting and reinstalling everything fresh a faster process.

9. Aya

Aya Member

Wow... It seems that man in the link ended up reinstalling whole system... not Cubase but the whole system.

I can't do that. Whole system reinstall is bigger problem than current Cubase's issue.

I think It would be better to stick to the current temporary cheat(?) than that man's solution.

Surely messy registry could cause tons of mystical(?) problems, but I always use Revo Uninstaller and didn't install much miscellaneous things.

I think I've kept my PC quite clean.

However I'm still considering anything which could cause this issue including registry problem too.

My PC is AMD 5900X + Asus X570 Pro Board + 32GB RAM. I think this is not that old one.

I use RME UFX and Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen which are a little bit old audio interfaces, but the ASIO drivers for both of them are updated to latest ones and work really well.

Hmm... 'Old' ASIO driver... Could it be the reason for this matter?