Cubase 12: Looping Audio causing Disk Cache Overload

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by NME, Dec 16, 2023.

1. NME

NME Newbie

I am on Windows 10 and my PC specs is new and powerful enough so I don’t know why I am encountering disk cache overload issues. I have also ran LatencyMon and it says I have no issues running real time audio.

Below is what to do to trigger it:

1. Import a WAV audio file into Cubase.
    2. Set loop cycle to 1 bar or less on the audio file.
    3. Have it looping and playing then start changing the Transpose, Fine Tune or Musical Mode.
    4. This will cause the Disk Cache to overload and audio will skip or sometimes stop playing.

Does anyone else get the same problem? What is causing this and how to fix it?

I just want to get back to producing already but this problem is doing my head in……

3. Semarus

Semarus Producer

Never heard of this so I did a little googling, seems you've asked around about this, and there have been a couple instances of this reported in the past as well, but perhaps you have seen them as well:

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/disk-cache-overload-audio-dropouts-with-cycle-mode/678369

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/phas...time-stretching-and-audiowarp-quantize/775167

As you can see, other than the one person solving it by turning on RAPID on his SSD, the problem seems to still be present for a handful of others. What you aren't going to want to hear is that possibly, you just can't do this sequence of actions without the consequence of dropouts or a disk cache overload. I'm not going to tell you that what you're doing is wrong, even though it's not something that ever enters my production process, but you may have to accept that this is something you cannot do in Cubase.

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

You might want to anyway! Why would you want to loop something shorter than 1 bar? Is this similar to one of those things where you want to copy a whole measure of pattern data with a space at the end? Create a second track that is the full 1 bar cycle length so you can select both regions at the same time and paste them correctly. Or bounce two bars arranged the right way and then cut it in half.

5. Semarus

Semarus Producer

If so, isn't there a better way of doing that?

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

I never use loops in Logic. If I have a wave region on a channel, I can go to the region inspector and click a little checkbox. This makes it "loop". You can then drag it out like you are drawing it. Maybe it saves someone some file size or whatever, but I have never used it. Cubase is basically the same thing.

To recreate that bottom track, I would highlight the 1 measure bar and using the region above it like a guide. Either copy paste or use Repeat. This way I can have clip gain, mute, transpose, fade in, fade out, delay, quantize, and other region related parameters for every single region and slice. You are just pasting into 2 channels at once, spaces preserved.

The spaces are what always bothers people. It is the same in Midi Piano rolls, if you are making drum patterns. Certain DAWs (Protools) handle this differently, but most are like this. Also, Logic sometimes will take a region you check to be a "loop" and it will extend it all the way to the end of your timeline. It sucks. If you want it solid again, you click J for join.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2023
  7. Semarus

Semarus Producer

This.
    Yeah in Cubase the Range tool preserves the spaces, be it audio or midi, then you can duplicate all day long.
    Sometimes you have to conform to the workflow of the tools you have.

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

I avoid using "loops" entirely. The only important time for looping your samples imo is if you are doing crossfade edits to extend the samples into something playable in a sampler. If it is on the arrangement grid, if all your edits are clean, there is no click between regions. Another nice additional option having everything broken up is if you want to apply Selection Based Processing. You can go in and do that with a Marquee tool, but that is slow too. This is only applicable to grid/tempo locked music, but there are so many more workflow tricks available to you with segments than with 1 loop just playing over and over.

This below, is Logic's Region Inspector, and all the parameters you can work with. In one form another, they all have this. It's so many options to have with every little segment of your audio. And of course, you can select multiple regions and change anything for them all at one time.

[​IMG]