Cubase 12 audio pops and clicks on when i press play (not buffer size related)

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by brazytupac, May 4, 2023.

1. brazytupac

brazytupac Member

I'm wondering if anyone has this issue. When I import audio into my project, and I process the audio with Cubase's transpose or musical mode (found in info line), if my playback cursor is at the same position as the start of the audio event, I hear a click sound when I press play which is weird because if the playback cursor comes before the start of the audio say 2 beats before the audio, and I press play, the click sound does not happen.

Also, it doesn't happen if cycle mode is on and it returns to the left locator. I noticed that when the click happens, the disk cache meter, which can be found on the audio performance meter, overloads for that split second.

Note that this has nothing to do with my buffer size or interface as this does not happen when I playback midi events with a bunch of demanding plugins running. Even if it's an empty project with just 1mb of audio, the scenario I just described above happens. But once I do not use Cubase transpose or musical mode, the audio playbacks alright, disk cache also doesn't overload. But once I use these, it happens.

I was having this issue in version 12.0.60, downgraded to 12.0.40 but the problem still exists.

3. Pranchi

Pranchi Newbie

Make sure the midi clock is internal.

and
    disable the MIDI input and output - in preference as well as edit page. and restart.
    check this works.. or let us know..

4. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

Is your cursor at zero crossing? If not you'll hear a click when starting a playback, since the volume momentarily jumps from nothing to wherever the first sample your cursor touched was, and DA converter would interpret this sudden jump in volume as a click on all frequencies.
    Also welcome to the audio world, I hope many years of wonderful things await you!

5. brazytupac

brazytupac Member

zero crossing? how do I check this? i mean this doesn't happen in other daws

6. tnc

tnc Producer

If your sample that you have imported isn't starting at zero crossing you will get a click (or when looping of the end of the sample is also not ended at zero crossing). This ofcourse happens in all DAWs,

Just Fade In and Fade out the sample, if this removes the click, then this is the problem.

7. justwannadownload

A spot where the waveform crosses zero. Zero volume that is, not zero dB.
    If this is indeed the case you don't have to. It's completely inconsequential. Just make sure your samples and audio clips start and end with zero crossing (by fading them in and out just a couple of ms if necessary)
    If you absolutely must check for zero crossings, just zoom in. You'll see where the oscillating waveform crosses the middle line (which is zero volume).
    As far as I know this only doesn't happen with FL Studio and Live, because they fade the playback in and out. Definitely happens with Cubase, Studio One, Reaper, AgainstTools and Audacity. Not sure about Waveform, don't remember exactly.

8. brazytupac

brazytupac Member

but why doesn't the click happen when I playback the audio initially, but only when I process it with cubase's transpose or musical mode algorithm?

9. brazytupac

brazytupac Member

okay applying fades solved the problem. but its weird I still don't understand, I only thought fades were needed when u cut or split the audio.

10. brazytupac

brazytupac Member

after applying the fades, the click at start goes away but somehow another click sound happens in the middle, which was also not there before the fades

11. brazytupac

brazytupac Member

Also I just changed my TIme stretch /pitch algorithm from elastique to standard and the clicks are gone, disk cache overload stopped

12. justwannadownload

I completely missed the timestretching part.
    Yes, it can produce all sorts of artefacts. Moreso when it's in realtime/non-destructive, for some reason. Glad you sorted it out.