Cubase 10, Focusrite 616: big issues on recording

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by JudoLudo, Jan 4, 2019.

1. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

hi there, I've a dramatic problem here.

I'm on Cubase 10, Windows 10 (I've been using Win10 since 2015), Focusrite 616 1st gen.

I've been using Cubase since years on my Acer Aspire V3-571G (i7-3632QM, 8GB RAM, SSD), never a problem. now I made a desktop build (Ryzen 5 2600X, 16GB RAM, with a WD Black NVMe which I installed OS, Cubase and VSTs on, while projects and libraries on a Crucial MX500), and I have terrible issues.

I'm on "excellent performance" power plan, 5/10 ms of latency on Focusrite software (been using 3ms on the laptop until now): I can't record an audio track. with Instruments tracks I got no problem, everything ok, but with audio... I hit record button and then after a few seconds it stops and gives me "drop out error". moreover, when I'm in play on Cubase (only listening to tracks), it often has dropouts (without error, but I can hear that artifacts and interruptions). I CAN'T RECORD ANYTHING AUDIO.

- tried without "multiprocessing" settings on Cubase
    - tried without ASIO Guard
    - tried with more ms on Focusrite software
    - tried to disable ethernet card
    - once I tried to record one (and also two) audio track, but with nothing connected to 616, i.e. not recording anything: no problems, no errors, no dropouts. I tried to recordo AT THE SAME TIME 4 instrument tracks (2 Keyscape, 1 Legend and another synth) and 2 audio tracks (without a jack connected in INPUT, so no signal coming into the project but still recording "silence"), no problem.

wtf I'm forgetting? I'm going maddddddddddddddddddd

3. Mousikanos

Mousikanos Guest

4. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

Not an expert on AMD sorry, but run Latencymon for 20 mins and see if it picks up a problem. Might be a bad storage driver.

Would recommend you try Cubase 9.5 to see if problem exists on it. V10 is early days yet and a bit flaky... If you have valid licence for 10 it also supports older versions, get it via the download manager, it should be rock solid, then you can concentrate on the hardware.

5. Jazz-N-Stuff

Jazz-N-Stuff Platinum Record

why would you focus on "low latency" ? Crank up to like 50 ms and give it a try. Or just use 256 samples settings at least.
    Low latency is needed maybe for live performance and if you are a Keyboardplayer with skills for realtime recording midi without later quantizing. Like a JazzPlayer.

6. Caldera

Caldera Producer

Install the Resplendence Latency Monitor software (free) and analyse your system. In the drivers section of the app you can monitor drivers with the highest DPC count (Deferred Procedure Call) In your case this driver (or another with high DPC) could be the cause of your problem. At least it helped me to solve almost the same problem! https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6944-latencymon.html

In my case it the Nvidia video drivers caused the problems with my audio!!

7. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

here's 20 min of latencymon test Screenshot (9).png

DPC Latency says 1014 micro seconds, but still in yellow zone.

yeah I'm a jazz keyboardist, you guessed lol I need low latency on Keyscape and synths. but, how I said, I can record keys vst without problems. my problem is, when I record audio (I often have to record guitar tracks)

I posted the results of my tests, above. I didn't managed to run Latencymon at the same time of playing tracks inside cubase, when I try to do these two things at the same time, Cubase won't play audio well.

8. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

That would suggest its the audio driver its having problems with, are you sure the Focusrite driver is selected in Cubase?

BTW 3ms is a bit hopefull IMHO. I know you want it tight but... how about easing it up a tage...

9. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

yeah ofc Focusrite driver is selected

I could try at 256 (now that I installed the beta version software, it gives me buffer size and not ms anymore)

10. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

Sorry, had to ask :)

11. Caldera

Caldera Producer

1. Did you update your HD drivers? You may have problems with streaming to your HD.
    2. I've read enough about the problems with the Focusrite Asio drivers. Maybe you could install Asio4All to see if the problems are gone.
    3. Did you try to record audio with the standard Windows 10 audio drivers?
    4. Did you run the utility Autoruns from Sysinternals to see if any strange driver has been installed on your system?
    5. You can try to disable the network driver NDIS.SYS (with Autoruns) which often causes problems with audio recording.
    6. Try to disable several Windows 10 Services one by one.
    7. Did you actually check in the drivers section from latency monitor to check if there are certain drivers with abnormal high DPC count?
    8. Focusrite interface works on the USB 3.0 bus? In that case you may consider to replace/update the chipset drivers of your MB.
    9. The last but had to be the first: Be sure to have disabled the selective USB interruption in the power configuration!!

These are just a few suggestions. I know that these are very annoying and time consuming problems. I had them too with my new PC's /motherboards but managed everytime again to solve these issues. :crazy:

12. Caldera

Caldera Producer

Almost forgotten:

10. Did you try to stream your audio to an external HD instead of the internal HD?

13. Mousikanos

Mousikanos Guest

It seems that you have ignored my suggestion all together. Check out the info about the driver from Focusrite.

14. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

15. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

1. already installed Crucial Storage Executive, all done I think
    2. yeah but 6i6 never gave me problems with my laptop.
    3. nope, tomorrow I'll try
    4. I'm quite confident about OS optimization, so Autoruns is a tool that I often use to check if something is wrong, but nothing has come to my eyes
    5. I already tried to disable ethernet card (as written in the OP), but no luck
    6. already done
    7. yep, none. just wdf01000, but it seems I can't disable/delete/remove it.
    8. I updated all the drivers of the MoBo (built this PC around 3 weeks ago, everything is recent), maybe I could try to change cable or USB port
    9. yep.. always
    10. nope. I mean, I already stream audio on a different disk from the system (D: is a Crucial MX500)

nope, I already installed new beta version (1.10b) and updated firmware too. :guru:
    yeah, I was using latest MixControl. and now, I'm using this new beta version.

but, still having interruptions sometimes when I'm playing VSTs on keyboard. still haven't tried with an audio signal, tomorrow I'll try.

16. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

btw, I managed to make a test while playing tracks on Cubase (with 512 buffer - no audio recording, just playing back!), here's the results:

with cubase.PNG

it seems ok. but, wdf01000 always at top of the list

17. Caldera

Caldera Producer

Obvious!! wdf01000.sys is the culprit. Read this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/41a8fbac-3c87-4b45-965d-9d6607f91ad9.
    The Resplendence driver must always be on top! It isn't in your case. In the link above is probably your solution! wdf01000.sys has a far to high DPC count... Something to do with the USB bus I think.

18. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

hi, I read that article but the only one who managed to solve the issue, said he solved by updating drivers through Driver Booster. I don't actually trust Driver Booster so much, I think is not a good way to manage drivers in yuor OS. moreover, many of them couldn't solve the problem. I mean, only he could solve this issue by this way. and, there is no link in google that solves that wdf01000 issue

19. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

You dont have intel RST drivers installed do you? if so uninstall it....

20. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

Ignore me I'm forgetting your on AMD

21. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

ok, I updated ATAPI/SATA and ASMEDIA USB CONTROLLER with Driver Booster. result: now these 2 drivers are far mor higher on latencymon list. and, ntoskrnl is at the top. AND... asmthub3.sys and CLASSPNP.SYS happened.

vabbe.PNG

how shitty is my life?