Cubase 10.5 Released...

Discussion in 'Software News' started by famouslut, Nov 13, 2019.

1. playtime

playtime Rock Star

That's why REAPER really whips the llama's ass :winker:

2. faunus

faunus Ultrasonic

Wait a little bit and we will have a crack for Cubase 10.5

3. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Sounds nice but I hear that buying reaper has a high risk of afflicting one with a mental illness that compels them to shoehorn remarks about the price/value of reaper into every discussion about other DAWs :rofl:

I’m thinking I’ll hold off on Reaper until the next .5 Cubase update goes up to $80 in a few years lol

4. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

Got to admit update the update felt a bit weak for £50 but Padshop 2 and that delay.... mmmhhh. I think the trouble with Cubase is there is so much of it that 10 feature updates look poor, anyway I'm in and goning to give it a spin. Catch you later.

5. Vexed

Vexed Ultrasonic

Hello all :) I know it's been mentioned elsewhere in passing but I still can't quite get my head around it...
    As a poor, starving musician, I wonder.. how do I best time & take advantage of these grace periods and sales to spend the minimum on the upgrades and be entitled to the next major release? I already have 10.0.40 Artist that I purchased and installed during the 50% anniversary sale. Any info would be most helpful. Thank you :wink:

(Edit: I checked my USB eLicenser number and I'm not eligible for the grace period for when I bought v10)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  6. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

I think if you buy the (ie) next update, and can wait until the update after that to activate it, you essentially get a free upgrade like Bunford did. I think the grace period is 4 weeks. In this case, it would mean buying 10.5 now, and waiting ~until 11 is released. Might be worth it if you can hold off? I like the new features, but also (as ever) feels like a beta test!

Did you try turning on hi dpi mode? Cos that makes Cubase look a lot (a bit =) less fugly...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  7. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Same question here. Still on 9.5 (pro)...Might buy this 10.5 update but won't activate it right now, when shall I do it to benefit from the future 11 ? How long for the grace period ?

8. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

There's a bit of info about the grace period here. I think you can buy it whenever (I know that black Friday / Valentine's day might be worth waiting for?) so long as you hold off activating it until 4 weeks before the new version (I guess 11.)

@Bunford can prolly tell us if that's right, I've always just (stupidly) leapt without a parachute / umbrella / condoms. Had a few problems with the update, but I like the new stuff as I expected to. I still can't work out how to change mixer colors; and always thought that mixer colors were already colored! (Mind you I only just realised that you could resize mixer widths! RTFM =)

Anyway, I always thought that Steinberg introduced a subscription model (used to work out about $10 a month) before even Studio One.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  9. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Cheers for that, I'll wait for a sale indeed. I'll check the previous release dates of 10, 9, etc, to pinpoint the approximate good period for activation.
    I like what Steinberg has been adding since v10 but I'm a lazzy dudde, I've been using Cubase only since v9 took me a while to figure things out and a workflow and I didn't want to have to learn new things...I'll take more time for that when 11 comes out.
    :wink:

10. SonicBoomer

SonicBoomer Producer

I purchased a damn update in Feb. Got other things to buy, it's the holidays.
    Plus, I don't like upgrading in the middle of a bunch of major projects.
    As for Retrospective Record, it already exist in Cubase. It's been there for at least a decade.
    Just make sure it's turned on in the preferences. It doesn't have a dedicated icon. I've assigned a keystroke (shift+*)
    Hope that saves someone 60 bucks, if that was your main reason to update.
    I like the colored tracks but merging audio and video?
    I swear that's a returning function that got stripped after CubaseVST became just Cubase.
    Anyway, I'll catch them on the next one or 11. :cool:

11. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Sensible, not upgrading with active projects, had a hell of a weekend trying to work out why nothing would load. Turns out (despite c/p presets / prefs) control room was turned off by default, making that Kush crash bug return!

Yeah, I think that's for audio. Which I didn't realise, but noticed (I assumed magic) that resizing rec'd audio "reinstated" it. Somehow. I couldn't work out how to "turn on" the new MIDI RR thing, I think it just does it automatically. I guess it turns off if you turn the buffer down to zero? Seems like the only option, despite (r)TFM saying you need to turn it on! It's pretty useful, tbh.

12. shomyca

shomyca Producer

Nope, MIDI as well, use it all the time.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

I think now the change for RR is that it is for multiple tracks with cycled layers

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. Vexed

Vexed Ultrasonic

Okay, I think I've got it now... Buy the update (in sale if pos?), wait 'til around 4 weeks or less before the next .5 release - then install & register. Thank you :like: :mates:
    Yeah, I don't blame you not wanting to make any changes to your system while in the middle of a number of projects! It's damn annoying that my (music & gaming) machine downloads upgrades to Windows every 5 minutes whenever I allow it to go online to play ESO, SWTOR or STO.