Crunch Guitar without distortion

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by ShadowOfTheZ, Jun 18, 2014.

1. ShadowOfTheZ

ShadowOfTheZ Ultrasonic

which library/sampled guitar would you use (which amp) to get a crunch guitar with no distortion or saturation, simply "clean" crunch ?

such as this song at 0:35s

http://soundcloud.com/gtsat/13-yes-owner-of-a-lonely-heart

i've tried a few libraries in addition to IK Amplitude and I always get a dirty sound...

3. Levitate

Levitate Producer

I can get pretty close with Real LPC playing A&E,C&G,D&A,G&D as chords and using the right hand strum keys and you use the bridgemute keyswitch on the G chord for that lil chug thing.Ampwise I used Guitar Rig and those presets Demon shared awhile back. Under classic rock category there were a few that were kinda close, 70's rock cleanish was one.I didn't try any other other amp/cab plugins they may have better results.

This is actually much different than the amp sounds I dig for,I'm usually looking for those high gain patches,lol.[​IMG]

I think what you're wanting is kind of like a Marshall with the master turned up all the way and the preamp or gain turned down low with maybe a tube screamer or something just to give it a lil crunch,maybe a lil chorus or phaser or eq in there too,or the guitar itself is turned down,just a guess,it almost sounds like it's double or triple tracked and one of the takes has a wah pedal pressed down a lil, or something it's got an extra lil bite in it.

I may be way off on the amp settings I just took a guess. It's kind of hard to get exactly,it's got this almost electronic 80's sound to it almost reminds me of the guitar tone in "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits a lil.I like some Yes stuff,especially with Rick Wakeman

4. angie

angie Producer

It seems to me a normal compressed gated slightly distorted guitar with a static comb filter, maybe a flanger/chorus with no modulation (but not so easy to imitate) :dunno:

5. ShadowOfTheZ

ShadowOfTheZ Ultrasonic

yes, the notes are dead simple but it's a good sound.
    And lots of processing I suppose. Low gain distortion, gated reverb I thought so, you don't hear the tail at all so it's harder to guess.
    The guitar itself is of any importance ? I guess it's a Les Paul but...

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Use a guitar! :) This is dead easy to create.
    Compress, EQ (cut lows, boost 900-ish mids alot (yes, pre distortion)) and then into distortion. EQ post dist (shelf out highs, etc) to get it exactly where you want it.

7. ShadowOfTheZ

ShadowOfTheZ Ultrasonic

Actually I must thank Baxter because EQ does change the sound a lot (obviously I guess).
    I had not tried EQ because supposedly not necessary if using the right guitar sound / cab.

Sounds much better now with any random amp cutting the highs.
    However in the original sound, the GRRRRR is very clean (no hi-gain hi-pitched harmonics), and even cutting the top end does not make the GRRR in the low end as crunchy and clean.
    Still need some work...