Crossover 19 can run 32bit Windows apps on MacOS Catalina!

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by tzzsmk, Dec 11, 2019.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

those guys are genious, seriously:

https://www.codeweavers.com/about/b...ing-the-difficult-the-release-of-crossover-19

"...And, it turns out, working on Wine is the most challenging thing I've ever been part of. We are re-implementing the Windows operating system; our 43 employees work every day to keep up with the work of the 144,000 people at Microsoft.

Of course, then it was Apple that threw us the nasty curve ball. You see, we don't do all this work ourselves - we rely on the underlying operating system. We don't draw windows on the screen - we use the operating system libraries to perform the actual drawing. And a fundamental truth of Windows software is that pretty much all Windows programs are 32 bit programs. Even 64 bit programs will use a 32 bit installer, so you have to have 32 bit support in order to run them. So in order to run 32 bit Windows programs, we need to call a lot of 32 bit libraries.

So when Apple announced that they were removing all 32 bit support from macOS, I knew we had been presented with our most difficult challenge to date.

Fortunately, our Mac development expert Ken Thomases and our team here were up to the challenge. After some false starts and a lot of difficult technical discussions, and then with some help from Apple, we settled on a design strategy that allows us to run 32 bit code within a 64 bit process so we can make calls to the 64 bit system libraries. As you can imagine, there were a lot of details to get right; we had to not only modify Wine, but we had to invent a compiler feature set to support this new mode. However, we feel that it has come out well. Further, one of our fears - that performance would be terrible - has not come to pass. We think the performance is quite nice, all things considered..."

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

Why "lounge" section? This fits better into "Mac" section.

4. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I didn't want to start another Mac/Win skirmish thread :cool:

5. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

Oh I see, but it's for Mac isn't it?

6. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

it is a Mac app, to enable running Windows apps within MacOS - not virtualization, just a heavily modified and optimized WINE, so libraries injection :wink:

7. caveatemptor

caveatemptor Newbie

Amazing
    Will this enable me to run 32 plugins IN logic like 32 lives did? Or is that not how this functions (yet)?