CrossGridder - Is it possible to run Windows VSTs on macOS and Linux? Yes!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Heraclitus, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Heraclitus

Heraclitus Ultrasonic

https://github.com/CrossGridder

[TUTORIAL] Full OpenGL on MacOS (Fedora 35, VMWare Fusion, CrossGridder, CrossOver) 1st PART

Windows VSTs on macOS and Linux like natives! CrossGridder first Run and Multiple Servers Setup

[TUTORIAL] Run 32 bit Windows VSTs on Mac and Linux - JBridge - CrossGridder 1.4 - CrossOver 21

[TUTORIAL] REASON 12 on CROSSOVER (for Linux or Mac) with working Fonts. CROSSGRIDDER 1.4

CROSSGRIDDER - First Steps on MacOS - Part 1 - Windows VSTs on MAC and LINUX

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    • Like x 8
    • Interesting x 4
    • Useful x 3
    • Love it! x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • List
  3. epochfunk

epochfunk Member

Tried this on Macbook M1 w/ Monterey and couldn't believe how easy it was thanks to the extremely clear instructions. gotta figure out how to add vsts and automate parameters now. amazing work :wink:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  4. Heraclitus

Heraclitus Ultrasonic

Thank you epochfunk, I really appreciate your feedback.

Plugin automation is really easy, activate the parameters you want to use from the AG plugin settings. The do it as you would do it for any native plugin. In Logic I just start the learn midi cc function and then touch the corresponding and previously activated parameter (knob, slide, etc..)

There are already a few things that I will be adding to the next PDF guide, especially for Linux. For what concerns the wine configuration "emulate a virtual desktop", It must be turned off and then open system monitor/processes (I did that on ubuntu studio) and check that after you launch audiogridder from inside the bottle, 2 audiogridderserver.exe processes are found. Kill the one with less ram in use, the one with more must be kept running. I was writing the guide while not confident yet with Linux. I use macOS, but at the end the logic is the same. So, if you read this, consider the chapter six of the guide obsolete.

5. Heraclitus

Heraclitus Ultrasonic

Version 1.3 is out. Check the first post, open the GitHub page and download CrossGridder 1.3 and the new PDF guides. English was rewritten and translated to Italian and Spanish. Enjoy the power of CrossGridder.

I have also created a video tutorial on how to setup the first server and the multiple servers environment.

If you use something like JBridge, you could even be able to use very old 32 bit Windows VSTs/.dll

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. GT33

GT33 Kapellmeister

I remember trying to run Vienna Ensemble Pro server inside Crossover but there was this annoying network error and it feezed, i will check this out later thank you! :bow:

7. garfinkle

garfinkle Platinum Record

Try using VMWare Fusion.

Im using VEP on a separate Mac server running Fusion and it's completely trouble free. Apart from the obvious issue of dealing with Windows.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. Heraclitus

Heraclitus Ultrasonic

Yes, if you want to have just 1 GUI at the same time on the host side and having to deal with 2 screens on the same desktop, use much more disk space, ram and CPU and increase latency x2 at least, you can use VMware. Or you just use CrossGridder with CrossOver and boom, Windows VSTs as natives

9. garfinkle

garfinkle Platinum Record

Apologies.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread. I was responding to the other posters' issues with VEP specifically with Crossover. Im using 5 screens and multiple GUI's so none of the "downsides" you mention are considered as much by me. Not to mention the advantage of CPU load spread.

CrossGridder looks pretty cool though. I'll definitely give it a good look at some time.

10. Heraclitus

Heraclitus Ultrasonic

I understand your point. CrossGridder is intended to be probably the best solution on a Local Setup; for users with external servers other solutions are probably better.

This tool is quite specific to this task and to be an external AudioGridder Linux server that sends Windows VSTs to any other system with the AG plugin installed. Even better than an official AG server for Linux, if it ever existed. An audiogridder linux server will only send linux plugins to other devices. This sends windows vsts, but from Linux. Isn't it a good deal?

I don't plan to make money with this thing, I did it for me because every other solution on a Local Setup were really annoying.

I share it as one more tool to add to your inventory and to help people with less resources (e.g. an old laptop with Ubuntu Installed) to be able to use free quality plugins like analog obsession on a Linux system.

A 6th gen i7 laptop could be a good starting point to have good resources for bucks and make music ITB, especially when installing Linux.

That said, I am really interested in practical feedbacks from people that tried CrossGridder and also are using different solutions. Thanks

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. sgenevay

sgenevay Noisemaker

So so so sooooooooo agree

12. Heraclitus

Heraclitus Ultrasonic

Reason 12 on CrossOver via CrossGridder 1.4

EDIT: If you downloaded it and you get a tar error, re-download it now, the new version should be working. Please report!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  13. emericax

emericax Noisemaker

so it does work with new M1 Macbook Pro Monterey/ Logic Pro?
    Like i can use my win Plugins just like that?`
    what sorcery is this? lol

But they are much more cpu heavy arent they?

14. Heraclitus

Heraclitus Ultrasonic

I heard reports of audiogridder working on m1, it should work. I don't know if through rosetta or not, It depends on Crossover and AudioGridder. About the cpu usage, it is basically the same as another native plugin, since it runs through Crossover and not a Virtual machine. I don't want to bother you with a long explanation, just try it and see by yourself. Also, be sure to read the guide, especially chapter 4 and 5 so that you can setup multiple servers on the same machine. It is a trick to overcome audiogridder server limitation of 1 plugin GUI to the Audiogridder plugin in your host. Let me know if you need further clarification on the installation process or any issue you can encounter while using it. Thanks!

15. dia manu

dia manu Producer

will it work on the new pro tools m1 silicon? will i be able to use win vsts in aax?

16. Heraclitus

Heraclitus Ultrasonic

This has more to do with the audiogridder plugin itself. I don't have m1 so I can't test it myself. Check its official discussion page, it is filtered for the M1 keyword. I heard from some people they had it work, feedbacks are welcome and I will help you with the installation steps if you ever need clarifications. Thanks!

https://github.com/apohl79/audiogridder/discussions?discussions_q=m1

17. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Are you the developer? Congrats, very cool use of the fantastic AG. Even if I'm on Windows looks really neat :wink:

18. Heraclitus

Heraclitus Ultrasonic

I am more a tester than a developer, with basic programming skills. I don't know if creating a bottle could be considered developing. :guru:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  19. emericax

emericax Noisemaker

might need help; (macos)

i installed crossover and already launched audiogridderserver and quit it;
    how/where do i exactly install the audioplugins from windows?

20. Heraclitus

Heraclitus Ultrasonic

If you saw the video it was made on Ubuntu Studio 21, but Crossovers works basically the same on macOS. Check it.

What you need to do is to install any plugin inside the crossgridder bottle using their setup installers, the same way as I did for Reason or the Reason+ companion.

Recreate the alias folders to match your <user> folder in macOS from Wine Configuration, it is below windows inside the crossgridder bottle. If not the installer or the app after installation could bother about not being able to write to a folder. This is because the links are missing (since it is based on my system paths) and we recreate them with Wine Configuration.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  21. emericax

emericax Noisemaker

ok i got it. But how do i make it appear in LogicPros Plugin Manager?
    im not finding the AGridder plugin