Critique of Rockin in the Free World Instrumental Cover (I.E., Mixing, Master, ect...)

Discussion in 'Music' started by TMROXS, Sep 1, 2017.

1. TMROXS

TMROXS Member

Mix is Fixed, let me know if it sounds better!

2. akashaman

akashaman Guest

wow -- sounds killer now ! [ always loved this track ]
    kick and snare are def up in the mix : overall mix sounds good ..
    cymbals & hat still kinda weird & now low in mix : but it really rocks , ha
    two words for ya : addictive drums 2 , maybe 3 words :)
    u could find a groove to fit in minutes : ~

3. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Have you looked into converting the WAV file to MIDI? That sloshy hihat is still a little annoying.
    It is a time consuming step, editing every drum hit and measure, but well worth the effort when everything else is starting to sound good.

4. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Works tremendously if you really get to know and use a few tools really well, as opposed to a lot of fancy tools I feel.

...unless the fancy tools work fine.

5. TMROXS

TMROXS Member

Final Mix for this version up! got rid of that nasty cymbal fizz with TDR Nova dynamic eq, and I messed with the master bus fx changing out the compressor to a waves puigchild. The first version I posted on here, I used the positive grid tube compressor as I really like it but it was overdriving an already crunchy song. tried a few other compressors but I found I really like the fairchild clone for that vintage vibe.

I am starting to program a midi drum track hit for hit (will use keyboard controller real time for cymbals and fills) so it will take awhile and then I will record everything all over again to get a new feel.

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

not that bad, but my ears are missing a bass drum and my analyzer can't find one too. The first mix I've ever seen where the frequencies between 60 and 100Hz decrease! But they should rise my friend.

There is a slight peak between 9 and 15kHz, which shouldn't be there.

Futhermore a little bit more limiting and less compressing could work better.

Looking forward for the new drums.

Kepp on trying.

7. TMROXS

TMROXS Member

I accidentally cut the 100k on the drums, fixed that plus I had to cut some of the harsh highs and mids from the lead guitars. Thats it for this mix, now I need to take a break from this song before I re-record it!

8. TMROXS

TMROXS Member

Any new thoughts on this mix?

9. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Hi,
    just heard the new one. You changed some things but it's just different not all the way better.
    For my taste cyms & HH are to low now.
    BD still has no punch.
    Maybe you should get yourself an analyzer (span is free!!) to realize some things better. It's a screenshot with average measuring

rockin feedback.jpg

Don't give up, I know it's not easy