Critique my mix

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Molly_Lee, Jun 24, 2021.

1. MarkyMW

MarkyMW Platinum Record

Great question, I ask myself how to do this all the time. My way round this is to alter the sound slightly. So if I want to add say a similar guitar phrase into the mix, with the same amp settings, cab etc and played in the same frets it might sound drowned or distracting. So if I want similar sounds that don't fight each other I either set them slightly differently to start with (This is the easier way for me, so play an octave up, use a different amp for example) or I add distortion, saturation or I EQ the two tracks that I know are fighting. EQ 'd so that each one centres on a slightly different frequency.

This is my simple little way round that, there will be more / better answers from more knowledgeable members here.

Good luck on your learning adventure

2. Howard Carpendale

Howard Carpendale Platinum Record

3. Molly_Lee

Molly_Lee Producer

Thanks for this, I have seen the first one once before but not the second.

4. Molly_Lee

Molly_Lee Producer

Thanks for passing on the luck, I will use it well.
    I was reading this link to multi spectral analyzers-
    https://soundsmag.com/top-spectral-analysis-vst-plugins/
    The first one MmultiAnalyzer is easy to use, the second one Span I found difficult.

5. Molly_Lee

Molly_Lee Producer

Yes No Avenger put me on to it, I am using it and it is good.:wink:

6. Molly_Lee

Molly_Lee Producer

Update: Thank you all for your input I have used every suggestion I could that you have given me and here is my second attempt, V2-
    https://ufile.io/kw7d6d0u

Feel free to make any suggestions / opinions or comments to help me along.

7. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Let's me state the obvious if someone eles haven't already, if you plan on making this as a serious carrer and not just a temporary excitement side thing, what you need is to actually invest in a good monitoring environment, you need to get to a stage where you can absolutely trust what you're hearing, because every step every choice and ever decision you're gonna take or make is gonna be based on that.

Some people will suggest headphones as a good replacement, but if you ask me, headphones are there to compliment an already good monitoring setup, headphones are there to get surgical if the situation calls for, and nothing will replace monitors, that's my statement and i will stand by it.

The reason why i mention this, is because alot of problems i'm hearing aren't actually a mixing issue (well there's alot of those) but more of how you're perceiving the audio, and no amount of suggestion or help will fix that.

Once that's out of the way, we can probably dive in more advanced talks.

8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello @Molly_Lee, I downloaded your 2nd mix and think it is much better than the first mix.

9. Close! I'd try some "New York" style compression on the drums.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_compression
    Send them all to a bus and hit them with a DBX160 style compressor full on. I'd add a small amount of a short room reverb to this as well. Just to give them some sense of place in the mix.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Molly_Lee

Molly_Lee Producer

Thanks BEAT16 it's not perfect but at least I'm moving forward.:winker:

11. Molly_Lee

Molly_Lee Producer

Thanks for the tip Lenny I will give it a try and thanks for taking the time to listen to it.

12. Molly_Lee

Molly_Lee Producer

Thanks for taking the time for feedback, unfortunately speakers is something I just cant have at the moment for a couple of reasons so at the moment I have to do the best with my Headphones.

13. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Step by Step / Well done - stick with it and never give up.

Use reference tracks

A reference track is a professionally mixed song by an artist or a band that comes particularly close to the desired sound image of your mix. You should put this on a separate track of your recording session and compare it with your mix from time to time

Make sure to adapt the reference track to the volume of your song in order to make a comparison at the same volume. In addition, the song should be output via an output that does not contain any effects or plugins. One advantage of working with reference tracks is that you have a template that you can use as a guide when mixing your song.

Schooljam tip: Make sure that your reference track is not available as an MP3 version. This format is highly compressed, which is why important sound information is lost. We recommend working with .WAV files.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  14. Molly_Lee

Molly_Lee Producer

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Congratulations @Molly_Lee, the work and learning was worth it, the song is well produced for my ears. In short it sounds pretty good. The song is very well structured and varied, a great voice and full of ideas. The pace is comfortable and the bass guitar is now also effective. A song that you can hear more often.

16. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Wonderful mentoring, you are a fine educator.

17. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Ah, that sounds way better. An improvement in all aspects. I wonder why I think so. [​IMG]
    Some very nice stereo effects, me likes.

18. Molly_Lee

Molly_Lee Producer

Yes I wonder why Maestro, a very good teacher @No Avenger.:yes:

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

He's too nice for his own sake, my fluffy bro @No Avenger

He even offered to mix and master my tracks if someday I finish a song. That's close to a death wish given my null musical talent :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List