Creative FX Chains

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by TheMoss, May 11, 2021.

1. TheMoss

TheMoss Kapellmeister

Hello guys. I'm working on mixing to get proper, well balanced mixes for a long time. But I've realized that I am not even spare my time on choruses, delays, reverbs, flangers etc. And I am getting so much dry mixes because of that unbalanced behaviour through approaching a song. I know how Fx'es work but I have no control on my thoughts. I am getting lost on plugins and presets and this is makes me sad.

Have you any FX moves always applying on your projects or individual elements that could help me?

My latest project is here, I've used some reverbs and delays but i am not sure about them.

https://vocaroo.com/12oOr1TC35lV

P.S : Loudness warning, be careful.

3. flush with your foot

flush with your foot Platinum Record

hi, it's not my kind of music but I listened with pleasure and interest to your production, I'm at work and I listened with headphones not really top.....despite this handycap, there are voices maybe with too much reverb..."unreadable" not the main voice but the rest.... that's the first feeling I had, for the rest it's good what you do!
    Good luck and thank you for share!

4. TheMoss

TheMoss Kapellmeister

Thank you, i've glad you liked it. Vocals were two channels and already had some effects on it. Guess i made them more wet then they used to be.

I am using reverbs with bpm/timing allocate. I am putting some delay plugin then set it as 1/4th or 1/8th bar in song's bpm. Then turning it to timing mode and setting decay time as same value with it. I think it's better to avoid phase issues. Is it correct or should i be more chill when putting some reverb.

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I've never done this.
    Firstly because what time is meant? 0dB FS to -96 (16bit), or -144 (24bit), or RT60?
    Secondly, let's assume you set the time to one bar. For how long the reverb is really audible depends on the arrangement. So, of what use is it?
    I set the decay time as well as the predelay just by ear.

Timing a delay can be useful but not in all cases. Sometimes it's better to make it a bit shorter or longer which will make it better audible and this way you can dial in less level.

In which way this has to do with phase issues, I really don't know. Never heard that before.

6. joem

joem Producer

anything with the kiloheartz plugins

7. TheMoss

TheMoss Kapellmeister

hmmm.. I will try some more free roam on reverb parameters then. thank you a lot!

8. fuad

fuad Producer

@TheMoss, here's my advice. Keep it simple, ALWAYS. Don't worry about the bpm or dB stuff, the ms of delay or any of that stuff.
    Here's what I like to do, and it's maybe something you can try to see if it helps. Basically I create 1 effects chain for the ENTIRE track, and just use a little bit of it on each instrument as needed. it saves me tons of time and i end up reusing it for many tracks.

1 - I like to create a "vibe" effects chain. An effects chain is just a series of plugins one after the other. This "vibe" chain consists of usually of an EQ (remove low frequencies, some high mid frequencies around 2000hz, and rolling off some highs as well), this is followed by a flanger and then maybe a chorus. I put this chain on a send/return, then apply a little bit of it to each instrument as needed. This takes care of the dryness and staleness of my tracks because it adds movement, interest and width.

2 - I create 3 reverbs, one for drums, one plate reverb for vocals/synths, and then one big reverb for effects and general creative uses if I need it. I AGAIN put each of these reverbs on a send/return, and apply them to each instrument as needed.

That's it, with just a few minutes and a few plugins (ANY PLUGINS, just use the ones in your DAW), you can create a "vibe" for your track. If you want, apply all these effects on your master channel before moving them to a send/return to see what they will sound like overall. It's like you're treating the reverbs, choruses and flangers like their own instruments. Design it by ear, imagine how things should sound, imagine the space your instruments are in, and apply and create the effects accordingly.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  9. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Again, just like when we were talking about synth bass velocities and note-length, this type of micro-management is paramount imo.
    I remember when I worked out that no amount of EQ could help if elements weren't grooving right together in the first place.
    And when they were, the EQ wasn't needed anyway!
    IE micro-management of timing, or having good takes, was of primary importance because it also affects our perception of frequency.
    I guess some masking can also be responsible for this too, and that happens when timings are bad.
    Just something I wanted to add, because you prompted me to want to say it!

Hey @fuad That's a nice, concise tip there. Nice one.
    Nice to see you back again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. TheMoss

TheMoss Kapellmeister

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. I always use effects as aux sends on pro tools, but it seems i need to create an ambience, a vibe with my feelings i guess. I will keep practise adding some emotion with effects. Thanks again

11. TheMoss

TheMoss Kapellmeister

I am trying to keep things simple and simple every single day. Simplicity suggested by so many people i respect. And I am giving up from unnecessary plugins in every new project.