Creating my own drum sounds.

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by wonderchild, Dec 12, 2016.

1. wonderchild

wonderchild Member

Hi guys. As the title says I really want to start making my own drum sounds. I don't know much about synthesis. I used to make sample based hip hop beats and I was taking my drum sounds from breakbeats and ready drumkits. Then I start creating my own melodies. Let's just say I jumped into trap genre. Listening to drums I was wondering where they come from. I guess someone created them with a piece of gear. I watched some tutorials on creating for example 808 drums but that was not what I was not going for. Just have in mind the snare you hear in every damn trap song to make it easy for you to have an idea. How can I make these types of drums? A modular synth? I would really like to know, thank you.

PS - I'm talking about snare drums. 808s are pretty easy to make.

3. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Well there are drum synths... if you want to make kicks and snares, check out Sonic Academy Kick 2

If you're interested in something that's basically just for kicks, D16 Punchbox is really nice.

The idea behind drum synthesis, is that it's basically just a very fast drop in pitch and amplitude that makes the percussive sound. You usually want the body of a snare to start up around 5,000-10,000 Hz and end up around 200 Hz. You can draw that pitch envelope however you want it in Kick 2. The slope makes a difference in the way it sounds.

After you make the inital THUNK sound, it's pretty much just about layering some things on top of it to give it some flavor. Lots of people use white noise for snares. Sometimes I like to layer in an acoustic snare for some of that ringy, raspy sound you don't easily get with synthesis.

You'll probably also want a very short high frequency click at the very beginning of the sound. Just for that initial snappy transient

4. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

drum synthesis is a dead end nowadays, any possible synth drum has already been made.

what you can do is assemble a few synth drum kits and make your own FX chains, the result could sound good enough to make some commercial drum/sample pack.

5. mofo-

mofo- Newbie

the microtonic is a nice drumsynth, though i think its more suited for electronic music and the variety of snare sounds u can create is probably too limited for you anyways. Im not too familiar with trap music but as i understand its like commercial music originated from hiphop. I would say that drum synthesis is not what ur after here and that youll be better off with sampling/layering etc.
    I agree with mixdowner that when it comes to drum synthesis most sounds have probably already been made, though this is especially the case with analogue or virtual analogue synthesis. But ive seen quite a few plugins or apps that do not use conventional synthesis methods or combine virtual analogue synthesis with non conventional options which might be able to create "new" sounds.
    For example imagine lines harmor but i would assume there are some reaktor ensembles for this as well. Still for the music genre u want to create sounds id say sampling is the way to go...