Creating music using illegal content

Discussion in 'Education' started by angeldummy, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

homeboi is afraid of lil watermakin, u r the shame of atlanta

Besides the joke, don't be so paranoid. Make music, share your music and start paying your things when you can. Im from a country where piracy is not a bad pratice, in a general sense. There are tons of type beats on youtube made with warez, tons of billboard songs with warez, even kanye west is downloading pirated serum... So, just forget this gearslutz paranoia, make your own stuff, and pay when its possible. If busting artists and producers was that common, only few ones would be making music, you know that's the truth

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

I think your scenario is perfectly OK. The "important part" (sample libraries) are "legit" and the DAW would only be a problem if a wrong person would've entered the studio or something.. highly unlikely.

You can take a look at other free orch libs, like ProjectSAM free orchestra, Soniccouture free libs.. basically every major sample dev. has something. Also, not saying you should not "try before you buy". Just remember - you have to own the license BEFORE you publish or register your work. Purchasing something later, "when you'll earn some money" (I get this a lot) doesn't matter. This is not moral/ethical/romantic talk.. pure legal fact.

My personal advice: if you are interested in $$ libs, get them somewhere (wink) and test them thoroughly on a project. If they really fit your work/flow/needs, consider buying them..

Also, like with everything in life, only you know how much risk are you willing to take, knowing the facts ofc. :)

3. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Just do your best to remain anonymous and so the 1,119 pirated samples you use remain anonymous too.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. anonymous1119

anonymous1119 Noisemaker

Thank you guys! I'll go ahead and only use free libs then!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

I haven't finished paying for my new synth yet.
    If I make music with it will the police come and take it away from me?
    Worse, will they also steal my beer and dope?:sad:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  6. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Yes, they're like that.

7. droplet

droplet Rock Star

The real scary thing is the way they get you. Go ahead download the cracked stuff, they say. You think you're safe because you're a member.
    After ten years you get a billboard top 100 hit. You buy a small apartment and a new SSD to put all you're precious cracked vsts on. You meet a girl in a bar and take here home. She's a vst spy. "Can I see how you make your music?" Your fucked and all your shit gets liquidated in a bankruptcy case. It happened to a friend of mine. AND the 'girl' was a trans so he got fucked twice!!

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  8. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

The real issue that NO ONE is talking about is how you can get problems using LEGIT BOUGHT libs. You shouldnt be scared about the devs, you should be scared about other producers or small companies that uses the same "royalty free" samples that you use. In this context, i would feel a sucker if i bought something that would bring me problems. That's why i dont give a single shit about those company threats

9. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

who here actually sells their music though?

10. 洋鬼子

洋鬼子 Producer

Obviously you should never do that because it is extremely dangerous and can be a threat to your life.
    Police will use Audiophiles to track you down via Psychoacoustic Sine Waves that tell your exact location.
    Once police finds out that you abused your rapidgator account for two years in your basement only to download shitty ass ghetto kontakt panflute libraries you will be immediately executed, rightfully so I have to add.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

1. Too bad.., 2. Yes, 3. Yes, that's the point ...not just any police th, audiophile special forces. them brutal...
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. livemouse

livemouse Producer

i never use illegal samples or other software since the newer sample libraries will cause your mix to expire gradually over time, since the samples are interleaved in such a way to phase each other out after only a few re-encodings to youtube, spotify and soundcloud. so if you use an illegal string section, it will erode after it's been uploaded and downloaded a few times until you hear only a periodic burst of white noise and a message saying "unregistered" where that string section used to be in your mix.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  13. stopped

stopped Producer

I like the story from the razormaid (remix service) guys, they thought someone was sharing their remixes so they made a few versions with slightly different lengths of a bass drum (in ms) and distributed them to the people they thought were most likely sharing their songs, and actually caught them.

99% of people are never going to have enough popularity for this to be a relevant question (look at the divine case), presuming your use isn't flagrant enough to get taken down automatically. and the 1% can pay to make the issue go away

14. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

i don't give a fuck about illigal sample packs or synth presets I am not a professional music producer and when i listen to music and i hear clean sounds for example the kick i cut it out right away and save it as kick_songname so i know i sampled it most people start to cry it's stealing blah blah I don't release music so don't worry about it there are plenty of sample packs that have similar samples under a different name i only have a legit daw the rest is sponsored by most of the time r2r or fantastic and others...:bleh:

15. Cornflakes

Cornflakes Newbie

HIV, herpes, genial warts, etc but I mean using a dirty crack won't get you in any legal trouble if it's not a prostitute but your body sure isn't gonna thank you for doing so, and as a police officer it would be hard to perform your job with any of that on you. HIV slowly kills the body so I would definitely try and stay away from "dirty cracks" as you put it, and we'll Herpes and Genital Warts are extremely uncomfortable from what I've heard. :guru:

16. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Seriously, bro.
    Like most people, I only sell OTHER peoples' music.

17. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

I didn't stole it. It just fell off from the truck

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
  18. BagelShaggerz

BagelShaggerz Platinum Record

Oh yeah I heard about this on the news. After this experience, the guy went on to write plots for 007 flicks. They blew up and he got thots with 808 dicks, homie. They say "you fool me once..." but George Bushie said "ya can't get fooled again "

[​IMG]

19. anonymous1119

anonymous1119 Noisemaker

another quick question
    do daws and kontakt, native access and so on, communicate with each other? Because that would be a problem since my DAW is not legit and they might know that I am not using a legit DAW.

(for other people, I am trying to sell my music so mine is a legit worry, the reason why I am using a non-legit daw is that this daw is the only one who has serious staff view where you can write music as well. and since I tend to write orchestra music, cheap versions of this daw doesnt allow for a lot of tracks inside so I am trying to save for the pro version.)

20. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Just use Bandlab Cakewalk it's free and its features allow to make any kind of music (pianoroll, staff, multitrack etc)